R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some clarification on all the different ride mode settings. Let me see if I can break this down to get some answers on it. I have a 2018 GS rally with Sport Suspension, the coding plug, and my interface for all the settings is the TFT.

This is my understanding so far
Riding Modes - Modifies throttle response and the amount of ABS/ASC interference
Rain
Road
Dynamic PRO
Enduro PRO

Then you have the Suspension modes which also has it's own levels - This I am thinking modifies the spring preload and rebound only
Road
Dynamic
Enduro

Then you have the height adjustment
Min
Max
Auto

Then you have the manual control over the ABS and ASC. I have also seen in the manual DTC but haven't seen that anywhere on the screen.

So my question is, when I go offroad, I should be changing the ride mode to endure, the spring preload to endure, and the height to max and then not have to shutoff the ASC and ABS? Then if I want to have fun on the roads switch the modes to Dynamic, Dynamic, Auto, and leave the ABS & ASC alone? Is DTC the same as ASC?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I am looking for some clarification on all the different ride mode settings. Let me see if I can break this down to get some answers on it. I have a 2018 GS rally with Sport Suspension, the coding plug, and my interface for all the settings is the TFT.

This is my understanding so far
Riding Modes - Modifies throttle response and the amount of ABS/ASC interference
Rain
Road
Dynamic PRO
Enduro PRO

Then you have the Suspension modes which also has it's own levels - This I am thinking modifies the spring preload and rebound only
Road
Dynamic
Enduro

Then you have the height adjustment
Min
Max
Auto

Then you have the manual control over the ABS and ASC. I have also seen in the manual DTC but haven't seen that anywhere on the screen.

So my question is, when I go offroad, I should be changing the ride mode to endure, the spring preload to endure, and the height to max and then not have to shutoff the ASC and ABS? Then if I want to have fun on the roads switch the modes to Dynamic, Dynamic, Auto, and leave the ABS & ASC alone? Is DTC the same as ASC?
Ok so the height adjustment is nothing but PRELOAD, also on auto it keeps the bike geometrey level in relation to the terrain you ride on.
The DTC in your bike which is fully speced is the advanced version of ASC, so you switch it off with the ABS button only. Long press once the ABS shuts off and long press again and the DTC shuts off.
In Enduro Pro mode the ABS behaves differently....the ABS to the rear brake is cut off so that you can use the rear brake pedal to slide the rear wheel as maybe the requirement.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
On my 2013 it is a little different for damping I have Normal, Hard and Soft and these are adjusted with the Ride modes, Dynamic = Hard, Rain = Soft, Road = Normal and etc but the Ride Height (Preload) is unaffected by changing the Ride Modes.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
On my 2013 it is a little different for damping I have Normal, Hard and Soft and these are adjusted with the Ride modes, Dynamic = Hard, Rain = Soft, Road = Normal and etc but the Ride Height (Preload) is unaffected by changing the Ride Modes.
Those settings for the Ride Modes are the defaults on my 2016. However, one can switch Dynamic to Soft or Normal, once in Dynamic or any of the other Ride Modes. I don't remember if it "saves" the previous setting when you switch Modes or turn the bike off. Height is affected by the load selection 1 or 1 helmet + Luggage or 2 helmets, going from lowest to highest, on my bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Those settings for the Ride Modes are the defaults on my 2016. However, one can switch Dynamic to Soft or Normal, once in Dynamic or any of the other Ride Modes. I don't remember if it "saves" the previous setting when you switch Modes or turn the bike off. Height is affected by the load selection 1 or 1 helmet + Luggage or 2 helmets, going from lowest to highest, on my bike.
On the latest models, the settings are:
Suspension preload: MIN-AUTO-MAX (the manual says to avoid using MAX unless fully loaded)
Damping adjustments: Road-Dynamic-Enduro Without the PRO plug, changing engine modes, changes the dumping settings (which you can change back) but they are always remembered after ignition off.

With the Pro plug, changing engine modes does not alter the dumping (individually set)

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Does the Pro plug affect the damping the same way on the older version (2016)?
They all do have their default setting for damping, but are easily changed. I experimented with them when I got the bike, but 90% of the time I just use the default, IMHO the engineers mostly got it right. YMMV

·
mymotovation
9 Posts
I purchased my 2013 R1200GS LC new and now at 94,000 miles, had the urge to look at something with less mileage. My 2013 makes me smile when I crank the throttle in all five modes. The drive Modes each have their task to perform and I feel the programming is dead on for me. 7,000 miles after I purchased the bike, my rear brake pads were toast. Thank you Traction Control. After the first set of pads wearing so quickly, I turned off the TC and have never looked back. The pads consistently wear out at 21,000 miles. I've also disabled the exhaust flap servo as well.

Drive Modes:
Enduro- Technical riding off-road in rocks, mud, and hill climbs. Dampening and rebound are soft. Use this mode when a precise throttle response is needed. Always making sure I turn off ABS before descending steep technical terrain. If you don't, you have essentially a runaway train. Point and pray you don't crash. Did that once, not fun...

Enduro Pro- When riding fast open off-road, jumps, wash-outs, and riding the bike like you stole it off-road. Stiff dampening and rebound suspension settings to greatly improve the handling, high-speed off-road riding.

Rain- Wet slippery road conditions, snow, ice, and wet leaves. Consistently delivers >50 MPG when touring single or two up loaded, with speeds under 60 MPH.

Road- Never use it.

Dynamic- Absolutely love it... Wheely on demand. Pot holes, a quick blip of the throttle and instantly the front wheel lofts over the square edge bump. Dampening is hard. Perfect for riding on the road. Road conditions get rough ie frost heaves here in New Hampshire, I set the suspension to soft.

Here's my dilemma. I tried the 1250GS when it first came out last year. The bike had nothing new to woo me into purchasing the bike. My 2013 1200GS put a smile on my face as no other GS could before it.

Yesterday I was a signature away at purchasing a used low mileage 2018 R1200GS Rallye. I took the bike out for a test ride. The electronics, literally take all the fun out of riding this bike. The first thing I did was turn off the TC. I played with all the drive modes and suspension settings to find the same exhilarating feeling I get when on my 2013. Never found it... The 2018 GS rear suspension would absorb every attempt at lofting the front wheel. I could feel the suspension in the rear get soft at the blip of the throttle. I even set the dampening to Max (2up with bags setting), it improved. The 2018GS was super smooth on any road surface and shifts like a dream compared to the notchy 2013 GS. I was unable to get the exhilaration I get with my 2013. The five drive modes are gone, unless you want to stop, turn off the bike and remove the Pro plug under the seat. With the PRO plug inserted there is no more Enduro mode. I couldn't test the Enduro Pro settings off-road and honestly have no idea how it compares to the 2013 Enduro and Enduro Pro modes.

Perhaps someone out there knows what I seek and can assist me in finding the right settings to tweak on this bike? Is there a GS rider who rides their GS off-road and knows what it is I am talking about? The community input in my search for answers is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I purchased my 2013 R1200GS LC new and now at 94,000 miles, had the urge to look at something with less mileage. My 2013 makes me smile when I crank the throttle in all five modes. The drive Modes each have their task to perform and I feel the programming is dead on for me. 7,000 miles after I purchased the bike, my rear brake pads were toast. Thank you Traction Control. After the first set of pads wearing so quickly, I turned off the TC and have never looked back. The pads consistently wear out at 21,000 miles. I've also disabled the exhaust flap servo as well.

Drive Modes:
Enduro- Technical riding off-road in rocks, mud, and hill climbs. Dampening and rebound are soft. Use this mode when a precise throttle response is needed. Always making sure I turn off ABS before descending steep technical terrain. If you don't, you have essentially a runaway train. Point and pray you don't crash. Did that once, not fun...

Enduro Pro- When riding fast open off-road, jumps, wash-outs, and riding the bike like you stole it off-road. Stiff dampening and rebound suspension settings to greatly improve the handling, high-speed off-road riding.

Rain- Wet slippery road conditions, snow, ice, and wet leaves. Consistently delivers >50 MPG when touring single or two up loaded, with speeds under 60 MPH.

Road- Never use it.

Dynamic- Absolutely love it... Wheely on demand. Pot holes, a quick blip of the throttle and instantly the front wheel lofts over the square edge bump. Dampening is hard. Perfect for riding on the road. Road conditions get rough ie frost heaves here in New Hampshire, I set the suspension to soft.

Here's my dilemma. I tried the 1250GS when it first came out last year. The bike had nothing new to woo me into purchasing the bike. My 2013 1200GS put a smile on my face as no other GS could before it.

Yesterday I was a signature away at purchasing a used low mileage 2018 R1200GS Rallye. I took the bike out for a test ride. The electronics, literally take all the fun out of riding this bike. The first thing I did was turn off the TC. I played with all the drive modes and suspension settings to find the same exhilarating feeling I get when on my 2013. Never found it... The 2018 GS rear suspension would absorb every attempt at lofting the front wheel. I could feel the suspension in the rear get soft at the blip of the throttle. I even set the dampening to Max (2up with bags setting), it improved. The 2018GS was super smooth on any road surface and shifts like a dream compared to the notchy 2013 GS. I was unable to get the exhilaration I get with my 2013. The five drive modes are gone, unless you want to stop, turn off the bike and remove the Pro plug under the seat. With the PRO plug inserted there is no more Enduro mode. I couldn't test the Enduro Pro settings off-road and honestly have no idea how it compares to the 2013 Enduro and Enduro Pro modes.

Perhaps someone out there knows what I seek and can assist me in finding the right settings to tweak on this bike? Is there a GS rider who rides their GS off-road and knows what it is I am talking about? The community input in my search for answers is greatly appreciated.
Ok so the enduro pro mode is programmable hence they took away the Enduro Mode.....In settings you can adjust the enduro Pro mode

1 - 11 of 11 Posts