R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Just Another Guy!!!!
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting in the BMW world with Klimm or high dollar stuff isn't in my budget, what do you guys suggest when starting on a budget???

·
Registered
189 Posts
I was in your boat and bought First Gear, mainly because they were one of the few that offered tall sizing in a reasonable price.

I got a wet a$$ and froze in them. Ended up getting warranty return on the pants, sold the jacket and bought the BMW Endurogear. I've done 25,000Kms with the BMW gear and have stayed warm and dry no matter how much rain I encountered.

I bought my wife the Rev't brand and she has been dry and warm with them.

If you search the forums you will often find used KLIM or other premium brands for 1/2 the price of new

·
Super Moderator
393 Posts
I've found good used items on eBay. Sizing can be a gamble but I've sold what doesnt fit locally on Craigslist.

I have Fieldsheer stuff that has worked for me until I'm riding enough to justify paying for better quality.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Lot’s of good advice above. If your needs aren’t urgent, I just add that we’re also only 3 weeks away from Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

I believe one online BMW dealer is already offering a 20% Off Black Friday coupon now. Revzilla, RMATV, Twisted Throttle, MotorcycleGear, etc. will all be offering plenty of enticements to earn your Xmas dollars in the coming weeks.

I’ve found some outstanding deals also by searching the online retailers’ “Close Outs”. You won’t to find a $1,700 Klim adventure jacket going for $250, but you might find a $400 - $500 big brand name jacket at 50% off. Good luck!

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Cycle Gear and Revzilla are sister companies so they have the same inventories on the websites. I'm a big revzilla fan but we have a cycle gear store in town now as well so I make any big purchases there so if I need to return I can do it at the store.

·
Just Another Guy!!!!
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone, great advice!!! I've started looking in all those places and I do have a CycleGear store in Spartanburg SC about 40 miles south of me. I could try stuff on there!!! i also found some Olympia on FB Marketplace near me my size, oh yea!!! Looking forward to getting involved in the BMW community and have put in for vacation so I can attend the BMW Riders Assoc. Rally next year, it's an hour from my house!!!!! :nerd:

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Thanks everyone, great advice!!! I've started looking in all those places and I do have a CycleGear store in Spartanburg SC about 40 miles south of me. I could try stuff on there!!! i also found some Olympia on FB Marketplace near me my size, oh yea!!! Looking forward to getting involved in the BMW community and have put in for vacation so I can attend the BMW Riders Assoc. Rally next year, it's an hour from my house!!!!! :nerd:
There are also Cycle Gear stores in Matthews and Gastonia. I find that different stores have different offerings based on store size and demographics. The Matthews store has more high end offerings while the Gastonia store, not so much.

Depending on your size, you are welcome to arrange to meet me somewhere and I can let you look at some of my different gear....Firstgear, Tour Master, BMW, before you have to go online and blindly order.

BTW, we have a "BMW" riders group that meets in south Charlotte 2-3 times a month if you're interested. Next meeting is tomorrow at 8:30am at Golden Coral on South Blvd. I expect there will be lots cages tomorrow.

·
Just Another Guy!!!!
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
There are also Cycle Gear stores in Matthews and Gastonia. I find that different stores have different offerings based on store size and demographics. The Matthews store has more high end offerings while the Gastonia store, not so much.

Depending on your size, you are welcome to arrange to meet me somewhere and I can let you look at some of my different gear....Firstgear, Tour Master, BMW, before you have to go online and blindly order.

BTW, we have a "BMW" riders group that meets in south Charlotte 2-3 times a month if you're interested. Next meeting is tomorrow at 8:30am at Golden Coral on South Blvd. I expect there will be lots cages tomorrow.
Hey Cliff that'd be awesome.....I would like to get with a group and glean some knowledge!!!! I'm a 3X and looking at clothing would be great!!!! I hope to have a bike by the end of the month!!!! Looking at multiple bikes!!!
Cliff stay in touch, PLZ!!!! I can't PM yet, but soon!!!

Marty
Asheville, NC

·
Registered
31 Posts
I go to Cycle Gear because I can check fit. I like their First Gear adventure jacket, and have also found good deals on a pair of leathers there. I also spent the money for Alpinestars boots and gloves there, and got the correct fit-- I have small hands, but ended up with gloves marked XL-- go figure. I still like shopping at retail stores when I can, because correct fit really helps the riding experience.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Hey Cliff that'd be awesome.....I would like to get with a group and glean some knowledge!!!! I'm a 3X and looking at clothing would be great!!!! I hope to have a bike by the end of the month!!!! Looking at multiple bikes!!!
Cliff stay in touch, PLZ!!!! I can't PM yet, but soon!!!

Marty
Asheville, NC

Mine would be a little small for you, but checking out Cycle Gear would give you an idea of fit for most brands that they don't have at Eurosport in Asheville (great people to deal with). Touring Sport in Greenville has a pretty good selection of gear and bikes.

Not sure of your schedule, but we have a group that does a group lunch ride out of Starbucks on Hendersonville Rd, almost at the Parkway. We start getting together around 10am on Wednesday with kick stands up at 11am. Good group of people and all brands of bikes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This year I bought Alpinestars Andes V2. In begin of October there is a only one day with 6 (six) hours of rain continuously. I should travel same day for meeting. When arrive I was dry. But my pants was not from these producer and in my boots there is a lot of water, fishes and small frogs. Will change this soon. Only good things about Alpinestars and DryStar membrane.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will second this... go for the best quality and look for overstock, close-outs, sales, gently used, anything but don't skimp on getting quality items.

Lot’s of good advice above. If your needs aren’t urgent, I just add that we’re also only 3 weeks away from Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

I believe one online BMW dealer is already offering a 20% Off Black Friday coupon now. Revzilla, RMATV, Twisted Throttle, MotorcycleGear, etc. will all be offering plenty of enticements to earn your Xmas dollars in the coming weeks.

I’ve found some outstanding deals also by searching the online retailers’ “Close Outs”. You won’t to find a $1,700 Klim adventure jacket going for $250, but you might find a $400 - $500 big brand name jacket at 50% off. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Riding gear

I have tried several brands and always come back to Olympia. In Texas and on two BDRs in the PNW I wore Olympia Airglide jacket and pants with beefed up protection. Stayed cool and had protection for a very good price. Now that L live in the PNW I have Olympia X MOTO 2 jacket and pants and they keep me warm and dry. Revzilla has Olympia Airglide on sale as well as the X Moto 2. Main thing is get what fits you the best.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts