R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I took my 2017 GSA in for its 48k service. Shop called me today to tell me when they opened the right side and rotated to TDC they found notches on top of the cams from my rockers? Tech said he seen this once before.
Apparently the rockers are too hard and they notch the cams? Apparently BMW has seen this before and came out with a notice years ago? Shop took pics and will send to BMW to see if it can be repaired or replaced.

Anyone ever heard of this?

·
Administrator
1,980 Posts
I know there had been chatter on soft cams some time back on the water cooled bikes, don't recall if there was a build date cutoff for a fix.

Here was one post when I searched soft cams:

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
834 Posts
A friend of mine had her 2019 F750gs stopped at the dealership for a few month last year (they had to wait for the new cam from BMW) for a similar reason. They replaced camshafts, rockers and a few other small parts on warranty.

I know that the F series motor is a completely different motor but, it's iteresting to know that some of them had cam vs rocker steel issues.

·
Administrator
1,980 Posts
Ryno it is really too bad this isn't a Harley as you have the perfect opportunity for a high lift lope'y cam that sounds like it can't even idle at a stop light.
😄

With documented issues hopefully BMW Motorrad will take care of you. I recall the one gentleman here with bottom end issues on an even older bike and was surprised when BMW covered it. If your dealer comes up short I wouldn't hesitate to contact BMW Motorrad directly.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've never seen that much wear on a cam - to the point of a wall around the lobe. Granted that I've only seen less than 10 cams on various bikes/cars. Crazy interaction between dissimilar metals and the rocker arm follower (not roller, really?) was obviously a much harder metal. That's truly a phenomenal level of wear.

Can you ask for a borescope via the spark plug holes to search for any further scoring on the cylinder walls? The fine metal shavings had to go somewhere before being trapped in the oil filter media. Don't be surprised if there is negligible-to- zero visible scoring anywhere else. The shavings were so miniscule over 48k miles that you might have zero impacts.

Good luck with the repair! What a durable motor to run without you noticing for 48k miles! I can't help but focus on the walls that formed around the lobes. Note the thickness difference.....as if the cam was justified slightly more to the right when positioned within the bearing seat and cap at the factory. Certainly within an installation tolerance.....just interesting to note. Oh, and that's one clean head! Good oil detergent package and no signs of oil gumming or burning onto the head surfaces from overheating.

Watching for updates from you.

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow. That is a lot of wear...could you feel the performance drop off over time? New parts should flow a lot more air into the engine.
I never felt a drop off in performance. I just returned from a 1000 mile trip to Oregon the week before.
I guess it was so gradual that I didn't notice.

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've never seen that much wear on a cam - to the point of a wall around the lobe. Granted that I've only seen less than 10 cams on various bikes/cars. Crazy interaction between dissimilar metals and the rocker arm follower (not roller, really?) was obviously a much harder metal. That's truly a phenomenal level of wear.

Can you ask for a borescope via the spark plug holes to search for any further scoring on the cylinder walls? The fine metal shavings had to go somewhere before being trapped in the oil filter media. Don't be surprised if there is negligible-to- zero visible scoring anywhere else. The shavings were so miniscule over 48k miles that you might have zero impacts.

Good luck with the repair! What a durable motor to run without you noticing for 48k miles! I can't help but focus on the walls that formed around the lobes. Note the thickness difference.....as if the cam was justified slightly more to the right when positioned within the bearing seat and cap at the factory. Certainly within an installation tolerance.....just interesting to note. Oh, and that's one clean head! Good oil detergent package and no signs of oil gumming or burning onto the head surfaces from overheating.

Watching for updates from you.

View attachment 30186
Agree @SoutheastDan
I have never seen wear like that on any cam, other than the ones I've seen relating to this post on other forums.
I will ask them about shavings and a scope.

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Super cool that your servicing dealer is supporting you and not trying to hide anything! You should feel better now than you already did. Wishing you continued good luck!
Said this before, Sierra BMW is a really good dealer. Always goes out of their way to ensure Ithat customers are satisfied. I do feel better knowing they are supporting me. Not to start another thread in a thread, but I will seriously consider an extended warranty on my next bike.

·
Administrator
1,458 Posts
Wow, 48,000 miles really isn't that many miles for so that much wear damage to be happening. You've got me wondering what I'd see if I opened mine up now at a bit over 20,000 miles.

Reactions: Ryno23

·
Registered
2015 GSA
52 Posts
Wow, 48,000 miles really isn't that many miles for so that much wear damage to be happening. You've got me wondering what I'd see if I opened mine up now at a bit over 20,000 miles.
Easy enough to pop off a cover & take a peek.
Pretty sure that its a cam shaft issue, most common on 16‘s & 17’s.
There was a batch of cams that weren’t properly hardened.

·
Administrator
1,458 Posts
I need to replace my banged up covers anyway. Maybe it's time to do that and take a peak at what's going on in there on my '16.

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Service Manager at Sierra BMW says its the followers/rockers that were to hard and they wore out the hardened coating on the cams.

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the bike back today. Runs good. Wasn't able to get the parts due to the warranty work. The bad cam was replaced and all the rockers were replaced with new. The new rockers have a passage that allows oil to flow through them where the old ones didnt. Less wear on cams.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Was this covered under some sort of warranty, or did you have to pay for this repair
Got a call today, BMW is paying 80% of the cost to replace all damaged cams and all Rocker arms/ followers. I'll take that. I told them I wanted all damaged parts. They said no problem.
Good to know about the 80% payment. I've been doing my own valve check on my R1200GS (built 8/2016) and noticed "scuffing" on the lobs (but absolutely nothing like yours) at my last check about 6000 miles ago. Now has 54k on it, so next time I will have the dealer check them.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts