R1200GS Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
GSA1200 2016/2017
2 Posts
Ok, I took my 2017 GSA in for its 48k service. Shop called me today to tell me when they opened the right side and rotated to TDC they found notches on top of the cams from my rockers? Tech said he seen this once before.
Apparently the rockers are too hard and they notch the cams? Apparently BMW has seen this before and came out with a notice years ago? Shop took pics and will send to BMW to see if it can be repaired or replaced.

Anyone ever heard of this?
This talking tech seen this ONCE before is bullshit. The problem exists and BMW knows it since the bikes have been produced. There is even a BMW-USA bulletin about this problem. They simply kept it smoothly in order to avoid a recall. If you are lucky to discover this during warranty they make it for free, otherwise will depend on your relationship with the dealer. I was not tha lucky and BMW is giving me 25% discount on parts to replace on my own. It follows bellow the bulletin copy and pictures from my camshaft on the 45K service.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
This talking tech seen this ONCE before is bullshit. The problem exists and BMW knows it since the bikes have been produced. There is even a BMW-USA bulletin about this problem. They simply kept it smoothly in order to avoid a recall. If you are lucky to discover this during warranty they make it for free, otherwise will depend on your relationship with the dealer. I was not tha lucky and BMW is giving me 25% discount on parts to replace on my own. It follows bellow the bulletin copy and pictures from my camshaft on the 45K service.
WOW! Those cams look worse than mine.

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,178 Posts
I'd not be so concerned with the repair but rather where did all the gindings go and what are they doing?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi all, had the bike in for the 12k service and shaft recall. Primarily wanted shaft replaced cause I figured no way it would pass as I couldn’t even drop the final drive. It passed go figure. Apparently they only spin the shaft by attaching something on the final drive and powering it up to spin shaft(like a drill) and somehow get a reading off computer for pass or fail. I told service guy prior that I didn’t expect it to pass as I couldn’t even drop final drive, that it seemed to be rusted together. Prior to that service guy came out and told me there’s a problem with my cams. Saying definitely not normal. Premature westing of the lobes, metal separating, not smooth on lobes, if u run ur finger across them ur fingernail would catch. Bike us a 2018 r1200gs with 11k. Definitely something that shouldn’t happen. All the cams were affected although only 2 valves out of spec only by 1/100 each. Of course bike out of warranty so dealer opened a case and contacted the mothership. Apparently about a 5k repair. I’m waiting to hear back and now have a pickup date for bike about 2 weeks from now. Service guy is gonna work on the mothership and we’ll go from there. Shaft rusting is secondary and he wanted to see pics which I sent him. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Very upsetting news, hopefully I have a good outcome 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I had a similar cam issue. My bike was also out of warranty. BMW picked up 80% of the bill and put new cams and rockers in place of bad ones. If you do a search you should find the whole story with pics. Good luck with the shaft issue.

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Super Awesom Person
1,001 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2018 GS at 42k miles. The right intake cam was shot so they replaced that and the followers but not the other three. BMW covered it and I paid 20% labor and and oil change. My dealer says he's only seen that one cam go bad. I've put about 12k miles on it since the repair and so far so good.
. Automotive lighting Light Product Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
160 Posts
That is just wow! I need to check my 2017 Rallye (9,000 mi) as I think I have about one month left on the extended warranty. Thanks for posting this Ryno!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm with P14 on this one. Those are very hard metal particles no matter how fine they are. I would be worried they would embed themselves in every bearing in the engine as they are carried in the oil everywhere. I can see crank, rod & every other plain bearing being impregnated with these hard metal filings leading to failure eventually.

·
Super Awesom Person
1,001 Posts
I'm with P14 on this one. Those are very hard metal particles no matter how fine they are. I would be worried they would embed themselves in every bearing in the engine as they are carried in the oil everywhere. I can see crank, rod & every other plain bearing being impregnated with these hard metal filings leading to failure eventually.
When it happened to me the dealer charged for an oil change, after riding it for 500 miles I changed it again.
It's been about 12k miles since the repair with no problems.

·
Registered
2011 R1200 GS
31 Posts
Pretty sure that the oil draining from the heads hits the sump and has to go through the oil filter before being distributed again throughout the engine. (Opening the oil filter and inspecting the pleats should tell the story). Otherwise there most likely would be simultaneous bearing damage, etc. in combination with the cam/rocker failures.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just an update; still waiting on the mothership response. Scheduled my bike to be picked up 2 weeks after 12k service date. picked up 10/5 and service rep said he had to tickle the area bmw rep to try to get something definitive. 1st response was its out of warranty. dealer rep is talking with bow area rep to get a goodwill gesture being that the bike has only 11k on it. dealer rep asked me some questions, if I was original owner? Service history, by bmw? If this is my first product is how he put it, My 3rd bmw, I am 3rd owner. Bike was a demo and 1st owner maybe had 2k on it then got sick and sold to 2nd owner who put another 2400 miles on it and I bought it from him with 4400 miles. I forwarded bmw the service history, he had everything checked out, oil changed, software undated etc. Everything checked out and passed inspections. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Dealer is working for me as this is something that shouldn't be happening. Something I believe they/we all know. I think I'll hear tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well the mothership responded. The bill to repair the cams is going to be $4521. and they will pay $2950 of the repair. I can’t say I’m thrilled that they agreed to pay that much because it’s an obvious manufacturing defect. Had I ridden it more and sooner I probably would be covered cause I possibly would have been covered under the warranty. I also would have had more mileage on it sooner had I forgone trying to lube the spline which wasn’t able to disconnect from the final drive or the transmission (another mothership fuck up). So I feel two bmw manufacturing screw ups is costing me almost $1700 plus I want them to split that final drive from the shaft at another additional $120. I guess I should feel thrilled though 😳

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know there had been chatter on soft cams some time back on the water cooled bikes, don't recall if there was a build date cutoff for a fix.

Here was one post when I searched soft cams:
Agree with above post. If the BMW dealer is willing to advocate on your behalf, that can make all the difference. My 2009 had a fuel pump issue. There was a recall, but supposedly my VIN was not impacted. The dealer took pictures of the problem, said my pump was faulty, and within a week or so, BMW agreed to pay for the repair. Good luck!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts