R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody worked up a fix for the rotating hand guards? Mine can "wander" to the point where they start to contact the clutch and brake hand levers. Apparently BMW does not have a real fix for this....:mad:

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
BMW does have a fix. They came out with a new style hand guard that you can retrofit to the older bikes. If you break part of your current guards you'll have to upgrade as parts for the original guards are not available.

Or you can do what I did. Tighten the end screw (T55 torx) to spec. Problem gone. At least the problem went away on my bike.

·
Reverend Noob
236 Posts
I haven't had the problem you speak of on my '05 in 40,000+ miles. I have had the guards off many times however, trying several different grips and grip covers from "grip puppies" to o-rings. I believe, like Marc said, correctly tightening the T55 torx screw is the answer to your problems.

Jim

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm also in the 'never has been a problem' camp.

I always find it amusing to read of those who think it is a major design flaw and they are about to be killed unless BMW do something about it. Take a little responsibility for your machines maintenence and you won't go far wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts