R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Can you secure a Rotopax Fuel cell to the top of the R1200GS LC rear grab handle area without buying the flat luggage rack platform from Altrider, Touratech etc? Preferably using the Rotopax Pack Mounting kit. Txs

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hi, Can you secure a Rotopax Fuel cell to the top of the R1200GS LC rear grab handle area without buying the flat luggage rack platform from Altrider, Touratech etc? Preferably using the Rotopax Pack Mounting kit. Txs
Secure it with a bungee cord!
On my GSA I have the givi plate for the Givi top box, have used that plate to mount the lock and then the rotopax fixes well, other buddies just tie it up with a bungee

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
214 Posts
You probably can... but you should not...

The grab handle is plastic, to mount the Rotopax holder you will have to drill holes, weakening it. Also, the Rotopax mount have a small 'footprint' locating all the stress on a small surface.

A possible solution could be placing some aluminum plate (1/8" thick) attached to the grab handles without drilling (clamps ?) and to mount the Rotopax holder on it).

As a bonus, there is no alteration to the motorcycle, no holes to weaken the grap handle (possible pillions will appreciate).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Secure it with a bungee cord!
On my GSA I have the givi plate for the Givi top box, have used that plate to mount the lock and then the rotopax fixes well, other buddies just tie it up with a bungee
I wouldn't trust strapping my mother in law down with a bungee cord.. Thanks mate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You probably can... but you should not...

The grab handle is plastic, to mount the Rotopax holder you will have to drill holes, weakening it. Also, the Rotopax mount have a small 'footprint' locating all the stress on a small surface.

A possible solution could be placing some aluminum plate (1/8" thick) attached to the grab handles without drilling (clamps ?) and to mount the Rotopax holder on it).

As a bonus, there is no alteration to the motorcycle, no holes to weaken the grap handle (possible pillions will appreciate).
Thanks mate. I found a cheaper option locally. 1/3 price of other options. bboffroad.com.au/styles/rear-luggage-plate-bmw-r1200gs.html

·
Registered
132 Posts
My solution . . .

I have the "official" Rotopax mount (from an earlier moto that I had) but this time I chose to bungee it to plastic handles that I attached to the top box. No problems when I rode from Portland, OR to Houston and back last spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
bungee cords

I wouldn't trust strapping my mother in law down with a bungee cord.. Thanks mate.
I'm not sure about the mother in law but I agree .... motorcycle and bungee cords do no mix ..... especially a gallon of fuel. Bad Bad Bad idea. Bungee nets the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
724 Posts
If you are still using any kind of bungee cords, you should immediately throw them all in the trash and convert to using these:

https://www.amazon.com/ROK-Straps-ROK-10358-Black-Reflective/dp/B00JVAJJNO/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1BPCDKY2ROAGR&keywords=roc+straps+motorcycle&qid=1579364720&sprefix=rox+straps,aps,136&sr=8-3

They come in different lengths and widths and have been testing on my bikes from the full distance of the TAT to Alaska and back. Once you've tried these, you'll throw your bungees in the trash without any further prompting.

They're way more secure and adjustable and there's no comparison in convenience of use.

·
Registered
86 Posts
With the back seat removed and a plate for a back rest installed the Rotopax fits perfectly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts