R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new Triple Black BMW R1200GS and am loving it. I also love history. Since the "mother road" or route 66 is not far from my home I decided to make a journey out of it.

Here are a few pictures of my adventure. First I started out in Missouri and rode to Chicago.

Here is an old drive in still being used in Carthage, Mo.

An old Sinclair service station on the route. How many remember 15 cent gas!!

Cool old diner along the route.

Of course no trip near the St. Louis Arch would be complete without an up close and personal view and picture.

Found just across from the Arch a bronze statue of Lewis & Clark and their dog.

Another very interesting sight is the Chain of Rocks Bridge Though closed except for foot traffic now it is still a sight to see.

Leaving Missouri and heading into Illinois I find more great sights.

This drive in restaurant was very well done.

About it for now. More later if anyone is interested. So far I have gone from Chicago to Santa Rosa, NM. Loved it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Route 66 Cont'd

Since I can only post 15 pictures per post I'll continue on to Chicago on this one.

Seems I was not the only one on the "route" not something you see everyday.

An old Texaco gas station. Very cool.

Illinois has done some nice things to commemorate the Mother Road.

One of the highlights of this trip has to be this old Standard Oil gas station complete with all the old tools and even the metal ceiling! Just awsesome.

This old camper was parked out beside this station. Anyone for a campout??

This old Shell station on the route was nice also and a nice gentlemen explained all its features to me as I looked it over too.

This old fire truck was sitting in one of the bays.

They even had the old uniforms and a coal burning stove.

Well that is about it for this portion of the trip. I pulled into Chicago where I would stay with my Son for a few days and then slab it back home.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Route 66 Kansas section

I really didn't expect much from Kansas since only 13 miles of the route goes through this state. Boy was I wrong.

Today however I just had a few hours so headed up to Galena to start the trip West off. Here are a few details and pictures.
Coming into Galena, KS.

Where I was planning on visiting the Four Women On the Route which was once an old Kan O TX gas station.

There I found several very interesting people and things. I ended up spending over an hour there.

This is Melba Rigg one of the owners and quite the character. Loved her passion for the Route and she was loaded with info. She proudly refers to herself as "Melba the mouth". I promise you she can talk faster than you can listen or comprehend. Funny as heck.
Here she is giv'n the pitch.....hang on it comes fast and hard

A few more shots of the inside

I remember my Dad had one of these old TV's, put off so much radiation he lost all his hair Fortunately I didn't lose mine (yet)

I'm sure most on this thread have taken their kids to see the movie "Cars", remember this guy?

Ol Melba tells us that the old tow truck that inspired this character was sitting right outside!
So I had to get in for the photo op. They say it still runs but she doesn't let anyone drive it but herself!

While there we all got to cutting up with Melba, the two guys on the left are from the UK, the two on the right from Quebec, Canada.
She insisted I get in on the action too. I'm the young good look'n one

Wasn't long and in comes a guy by the name of Joe Bouffet. He's 82 years young and has several old Model T Fords and a ton of information about the area. Very interesting guy.
He brought an old magazine with him too, said is has quite the collection.
Proceeded to show me how to fix the fuel starvation on an old Model T or Model A not sure which. The gas was gravity fed.

Both Melba and Joe told me to stop by an old Railroad dept museum before I got out of town and the new diner across the street was about the only place to eat in town to stop there too.

Sure enough here it is.

It was closed today though so I had to get a few pictures looking in the windows. I walked around back.........seems like a pretty safe area....LOL

After that I headed on over to Norma's. Food was just ok, but hey they were just having their Grand Opening today.

Well I've used up my picture allotment for this post so more later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Route 66 in April

New member. First post (reply). Thanks for posting all the photos. I'm heading down that way myself from Toronto, Canada in April 2013. Rented a house in Southwest Utah but taking my time to explore bits of 66 on my way down. Thanks for the inspiration.

·
Registered
81 Posts
10cup,
Thanks for the write up and the great pictures. How did your shoei helmet work on the trip, did the visor catch the wind? Along with that do you have the stock windshield? Trying to figure out my next helmet!
Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No the shoei is great, highly recommended. No problems with it at all. My windshield is a CeeBaileys. Love it too.

10cup,
Thanks for the write up and the great pictures. How did your shoei helmet work on the trip, did the visor catch the wind? Along with that do you have the stock windshield? Trying to figure out my next helmet!
Thanks,
Todd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts