R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have any opinions on the day long seat for the GS?
I do 1000 mile days quite regularly. I had a RDL on my K16GTL and it was the 1st thing I bought for my new GSA. Stock BMW seats IMHO are designed to torture the rider. As a Ps. I bought a Sergeant seat as a stop gap whilst the RDL was being built. It was only marginally better that stock for me. But then again some find them to be good.....seats are like asses, each has their own ;-)

· Registered
17 Posts
Banff Alberta to San Fransisco non-stop on a Russell day long on my 2008 GSA. The only pain I had was in my hands due to riding in 0C weather without my hippo-hands. I could have stopped at 11pm but figured I still had a few hours in me. What I didn't know was a) temps would drop rapidly as I was going up a plateau and b) there are no motels in the middle of nowhere that are open at 3am. Just got back from a MX trip. Awesome. If I get another GSA, i'll be getting another day long.

· Registered
2 Posts
Had both on my 16B the RDL and Sargent. Ended up keeping the Sargent, softer but still firm enough to go 600 miles/day, better core and nice extra cuts in the sweaty areas, more even seat heating, and i started loving that backrest. The RDL is weird and fighting my legs on every stop as that Titanic of a bike requires long legs to begin with, just wasn't right for me. I'm 6'2" 210lbs though and the Sargent goes further back also.

Sleeve Gesture Grey Finger Nail

Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
21 Posts
I love mine ,the best seat ever!
For years I've always had chronic issues with every seat on tours.
I regret not getting one many years ago.
Now, 60k mi. (few iron butts) and never a sore butt.

Never heard it mentioned but I think it's even better off road.
I do a fair amount with a bit some hardcore stuff
While standing the "wings" act like steg pegz (without getting in the way).

FYI I believe there are similar seat makers like BMS (Bill Mayer Saddles)
etc.

Get it you won't regret it !

· Registered
157 Posts
I have had Corbin, Sergent, Saddleman and RDL on various BMW’s. The two currently in the garage have RDL’s, my favorite by far. As said previously, your butt may have different tastes than mine, so try some if you can.

· Registered
2018 R1200GS, 2016 FLHTP
16 Posts
I love mine ,the best seat ever!
For years I've always had chronic issues with every seat on tours.
I regret not getting one many years ago.
Now, 60k mi. (few iron butts) and never a sore butt.

Never heard it mentioned but I think it's even better off road.
I do a fair amount with a bit some hardcore stuff
While standing the "wings" act like steg pegz (without getting in the way).

FYI I believe there are similar seat makers like BMS (Bill Mayer Saddles)
etc.

Get it you won't regret it !
Oddly enough I had a Bill Mayer saddle on an early GS and ended up getting rid of it for another Sargent. Because of the experience, it was years before I tried the similar RDL which is so much better IMHO.

· Registered
45 Posts
I do 1000 mile days quite regularly. I had a RDL on my K16GTL and it was the 1st thing I bought for my new GSA. Stock BMW seats IMHO are designed to torture the rider. As a Ps. I bought a Sergeant seat as a stop gap whilst the RDL was being built. It was only marginally better that stock for me. But then again some find them to be good.....seats are like asses, each has their own ;-)
A thousand miles?? That’s a long, hard day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts