R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2022 R1250GS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone find anything cool for the back of your saddlebags? I have the expandable various cases that I never take off so I'd love some extra turny/stoppy lighting back there to be even more visible. [I don't have a top case (yet).]

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
1,903 Posts
Ther are 1000's of surface mount LED lights that could be configured to do what you want. All you need to do is find the shape and size that best fit you application and eye start to wiring.

If you are asking about something plug-n-play that's a different kettle of fish.

·
Registered
2022 R1250GS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mostly I'm finding Hella expensive Clearwater that are awesome if you have the dough and super cheap Amazon ones that get awful reviews... hoping for a more in between solution.

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
1,903 Posts
Having bough 6 or 7 sets of low-end LED light pods of Amazon and being 100% satisfied I'd not hesitate to give some lower end surface mount LED's a chance. I mean for less than $30 the minimal financial risk is certainly worth the reward.

Heck uses double sided tape to temporarily mount them until you are confident, they are what you want and are happy with the operation.

Reactions: KayceeMoto

·
Registered
2022 R1250GS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the idea but seriously bad reviews I don't want to waste my time on. Ive 3M'd stuff on before and it just doesn't stay very long with all the bumps and potholes, lol. I want to drill them in so they don't fall off. I drive in rain most days so leaking and failing are non-starters for me but to each their own.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I appreciate the idea but seriously bad reviews I don't want to waste my time on. Ive 3M'd stuff on before and it just doesn't stay very long with all the bumps and potholes, lol. I want to drill them in so they don't fall off. I drive in rain most days so leaking and failing are non-starters for me but to each their own.
Yes I get that double sided tape does not stay forever but it stays long enough for you to get the idea w/o the permanence of drilling holes. Once happy with placement and function then drill and secure w/ screws.

Might give these a go, made in USA: 3x2 18W Amber LED Pod
If by made in USA you mean produced in China and sold in America then yes these are the lights to have. This post also confuses me as what you posted is driving lights. Not sure how you will effectively use them and brake/turn signal lights as discussed in your 1st post?

In any event good luck finding a light that suits your needs and budget.

Cheers,

P-14

·
Registered
2017 R1200GSA
97 Posts
This is what I use. No wiring and these will make your backside look big!:cool: They won't help in the daylight but really show up at night.

I think the law is NOT to have any light colors other than red or orange at the back of a vehicles (except the white backup light when the vehicle is actually backing up). If the rear end of a vehicle has white light: a) Bright light badly affects the vision of the drivers behind; b) From a long distance, other drivers would think a vehicle is heading toward them.

I would not mind if a bike in front of me has a few small bits and pieces of reflective white stickers in the back. However if the whole back end lit up like that, it would not be pleasant following behind.

I bough the two small red reflective stickers, 1.25 in x 6 in, for under six dollars from Home Depot store (in the US) and stick them to my two aluminum panniers. My friends who rode behind me told me they were perfect as markers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think the law is NOT to have any light colors other than red or orange at the back of a vehicles (except the white backup light when the vehicle is actually backing up). If the rear end of a vehicle has white light: a) Bright light badly affects the vision of the drivers behind; b) From a long distance, other drivers would think a vehicle is heading toward them.

I would not mind if a bike in front of me has a few small bits and pieces of reflective white stickers in the back. However if the whole back end lit up like that, it would not be pleasant following behind.

I bough the two small red reflective stickers, 1.25 in x 6 in, for under six dollars from Home Depot store (in the US) and stick them to my two aluminum panniers. My friends who rode behind me told me they were perfect as markers.

That may be true for powered lights but these are reflective and don't generate light, similar to reflective piping on your riding jacket or any reflectivity on your helmet. What they do is greatly increase your visibility at night. I've run them for years on my R1100S and I recently added them to my GS to make my bike more visible at night, much more visible over the single small tail light. The next thing I'm going to add is a GS-100A brake light flash strobe controller to the rear brake light.

·
Registered
2017 R1200GSA
97 Posts
... similar to reflective piping on your riding jacket or any reflectivity on your helmet...
Those are small. As I said, I don't mind if the bike in front of me has a few small bits and pieces of reflective white stickers in the back. But those large stickers like yours would interfere with other drivers' night vision. They can't see what around the big bright spot in front of them. Have you driven behind your own bike at night?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Those are small. As I said, I don't mind if the bike in front of me has a few small bits and pieces of reflective white stickers in the back. But those large stickers like yours would interfere with other drivers' night vision. They can't see what around the big bright spot in front of them. Have you driven behind your own bike at night?
I'm not sure how bright you think these reflectors are but they work well and add to my safety. As a car approaches, the reflectiveness gradually get brighter as the car gets nearer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Anyone find anything cool for the back of your saddlebags? I have the expandable various cases that I never take off so I'd love some extra turny/stoppy lighting back there to be even more visible. [I don't have a top case (yet).]
Take a look at Feniex Industries T3 surface mount LED's. They are $US41 each and easy to wire. There are larger versions as well. These are used extensively on many emergency responder rigs and can be set to several flash patterns or just burn steady.

I have these mounted on either side of my license plate and they put out a good amount of light. About 5X more than the stock LED brake light (hard to tell the difference in the photo, but they are much brighter). If you use a hexcan or ezcan you can run them at low power for rear driving lamps and they will go bright for brake service.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Amber Electricity Gas

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree with the bad idea of using the black (white) Scotchlight on the back of the bike. I tried doing that same thing to a black helmet years back and had several people behind me say it was too bright in the headlights.

If anything use the red/yellow chevron pattern you see on emergency and utility rigs. Usually it's 6" strips on cars and trucks, but I've seen that done with 4" tape on bikes and it's effective day and night.

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have extra lights on my top box but you could easily do similar on your side cases. I just used an SAE connector to make removing the bag easy. I had to run them through a relay to keep the canbus from throwing an error.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle

1 - 18 of 18 Posts