R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, happy new year to all , question do you use new up graded sat navs or are you using a phone, ie iPhone etc , Apple say vibration is destroying the phone when used on a motorcycle???

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200 GSA Triple Black
68 Posts
My GSA came with Nav V. I use that and my iPhone stays in my pocket.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Buy an older used Iphone (or android) and use it strictly for nav. functions. GPS will work without a SIM card. And since it's an old out-of-date phone, who cares if the vibrations wreck the camera's ability to focus?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Still use my 6 years old phone for all purposes in one device. In a very rare cases use navigation on it. Twice per year max. Preffer to use old paper map. One day will buy completely new Garmin or BMW NAV, but after all pandemic shits...

·
Super Awesom Person
819 Posts

·
45 Posts
iPhone here, and used with the Scenic app - no issues with weather or vibrations harming the phone, and with helmet comms I can listen to music or take calls if I happen to be "working".

·
Registered
267 Posts
iPhone here, and used with the Scenic app - no issues with weather or vibrations harming the phone, and with helmet comms I can listen to music or take calls if I happen to be "working".

I do the same and have used the iPhone in place of any GPS for 4 yrs across many gravel and fire roads as well as trails, probably around 60,000 Kms in those 4 yrs. Only last year did I purchase a new mount, the Quad lock because it had built in wireless charging and added their vibration mount as well.

I do not miss the TFT connection and its unreliable pairings.

good luck
brian

·
Administrator
1,252 Posts
Quad Lock makes a vibration isolating, inductive charging mount that I've been using for the past year. It works great but does require a special case for your phone. I don't like adding any kind of case to my phone that I would notice when it's in my pocket or holding it in my hand and the Quad Lock case has been no problem for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had an old quad-lock mount from my bicycle and bought a used, rugged cell phone (Kyocera Duraforce Pro, $42 Ebay) and a stick-on quadlock ($15) and have it mounted to my handlebars. I keep my real phone in my pocket against the worst happening and me separating from the bike at speed and then waking up in a ditch more than arms length away from it.

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200 GSA Triple Black
68 Posts
I keep my real phone in my pocket against the worst happening and me separating from the bike at speed and then waking up in a ditch more than arms length away from it.
That's where I like to keep my phone also.

·
jack walshe, 2005 r1200gs
10 Posts
 CarPlay would eloquently eliminate the need for multiple devices & mounts, along with their complexities & issues.

BMW is rumored to be following Harley/Honda/Indian who already have it.

BMW were among the early adopters of  CarPlay on cars

To answer your question… iPhone13 and Garmin, both with dodgy RAM mounts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would love it if there was a carplay display unit I could mount to my (or any other) bike. Just a screen and the minimal code to be a carplay device for my phone. Haven't found one yet. I suspect the issue is apple licensing royalties.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, happy new year to all , question do you use new up graded sat navs or are you using a phone, ie iPhone etc , Apple say vibration is destroying the phone when used on a motorcycle???
At great expense I purchased the motorad sat Nov VI but I'm having all sorts of trouble with the thing ghosting. Find a different option and don't waste £500

·
Administrator
1,252 Posts
At great expense I purchased the motorad sat Nov VI but I'm having all sorts of trouble with the thing ghosting. Find a different option and don't waste £500
They've been very quick to replace those units with a very low hassle factor. Just contact Garmin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have always used my iphone. google maps is fine for most things I do on pavement. When off road I use MapOut for planning or recording - it works a treat with downloaded maps and no cell reception It also imports and exports GPX files. Saved me a bunch of money and headaches learning too many devices. Absolutely recommend qaudlock with the anti vibe thing. Bike has been in water, upside down on the trail and hammered with dirt. Oh, and I’ve never been lost - or as my sergeant used to say, geographically misplaced.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts