R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted an ad here looking for a factory lowered WC GS - '18 or newer. I received a response from someone on the board telling me that this guys had one - [email protected]

Contacted him for information and location. He answered my questions including location - he said it was in Charlotte. I am going to Charlotte today with a trailer! I got back to him and he just said the bike is in Ohio!

Beware.

·
Super Moderator
689 Posts
Report the user if you'd like. So you think the user is the scammer or his friend? Did the user explain how he knew the individual?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I got sucked in on ADV Rider. Paid the fellow including shipping. Someone is Russia had a nice dinner out with his girlfriend on me

·
Super Moderator
793 Posts
Could just be a misunderstanding but I really don't understand people to misrepresent what they're selling. How is that going to possibly, in any way, end well for them? I wasted close to 5 hours going to fetch a dirt bike for my daughter that was advertised as "like new" 2017 model that was well cared for. Guy on the phone confirmed it and nothing wrong with it. Got there and it wouldn't start - dead battery. When I noticed the chain was dry and had about 5" of slack in it I asked him who maintains the bike? His 12 year old kid answered "Oh, these bikes are so reliable that they've never put a wrench on it." Found several more things wrong with it and I turned to my daughter and said to her, in front of the guy and his kid, "Listen, this bike has been completely misrepresented. It might be fixable but if if these people would lie to someone coming from 2.5 hours away, what else are they hiding?" The Dad replied that he'd knock a couple hundred dollars off the price. At that point I was pissed about wasting that much time so I told my daughter that we were going to pass on this one and we'll talk about it on the long drive home. I turned to the Dad and told him that the only way this bike is leaving here with me is if you pay me to haul it away for you and that he should be ashamed of modeling that behavior for his kid. We got in the truck and left.

It was a good teachable moment for my 15 year old daughter.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'm always leary when the OP has one or two posts and is selling something. No doubt some times it legit but more often than not I'll pass as I'm not risking the frustration of its a scam

Just the other day on ADV Rider I posted a WTB add and got a response "I have someone who as it for sale contact him at [email protected]"

Obvious scam. I reported it to the mods and also posted it on the f/s forum. In short order several others posted they received the same thing.

Its impossible to stop this but if we help police the sites and call these guys out hopefully we can stop others from getting scammed.

·
Super Moderator
793 Posts
I get it that maybe someone has a friend that wants to sell their bike and the owner isn't on any of the forums. I don't automatically assume it's a scam but certainly I'm more trustworthy of someone that has been a site contributor for a while over someone who's first post is to sell something. But hey, if I ended up with a Kawahamasukonda that I wanted to sell, but never participated in those forums, I'd probably post a link there to my ad. Why not?

Bottom line, why should I trust someone that I don't know so deal openly, honestly, but always without hanging myself out on trust that hasn't been earned.

Reactions: Krons and Ryno23

·
Registered
567 Posts
I posted stuff for friends but that’s because they aren’t computer savvy or aren’t joking a site for one post.

the guy who joins has one post and then sell his buddies stuff......I don’t discount that as possibly being legit. If your signing up to make one post for your buddy why not just sign him up direct?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts