R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I owned so many bikes (can't even remember all of them) in last 35 years. But, my new GS is the first bike I have without the list of what is to be done at which scheduled service. My previous 4 bikes were Suzuki and all of them had in Owners Manual the list with extensive description of what is to be checked, replaced or adjusted at what mileage or age of the bike.
With my new GS I'm in complete darkness. I know about air filter, oil, oil filter, brake fluid etc. They are universal for all bikes but I have no idea of anything specific for GS.

Is Service Manual the only answer?

My second question is about clutch fluid. I think it's a bit strange not to have a little window to see the fluid level in reservoir. It's also my first bike with hydraulic clutch where I can't look at the fluid level. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, just found it in my book. It is printed with letters so small that I've missed it.
Does my bike have the alternator belt like I've seen on some youtube videos for 1200GS?
There is nothing about it in the chart in the book.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My local shop provided me with this to assist me with the maintenance scheduling from new to 36k miles:

This is computed for the necessary labor only for your GSA. Additional costs come with the hard parts and fluids.

The service increments are every 6,000 miles, e.g. 6, 12, 18, 24, 30, and 36,000 miles.

At 6, 18, and 30,000 miles – $302.40 per increment x 3 increments = $907.20

BMW service – checks, function tests, vehicle test, setting computer parameters, using computer diagnostic system

Oil change in engine with filter (for maintenance) (annually or every 6,000 miles)

Omitting rear bevel gear, valve clearance, spark plugs, air filter, front and rear brake flush for these increments

At 12, 24, and 36,000 miles – $1,166.40 per increment x 3 increments = $3,499.20

BMW service – checks, function tests, vehicle test, setting computer parameters

Oil change in engine with filter (for maintenance) (annually or every 6,000 miles

Including rear bevel gear, valve clearance, spark plug, air filter, front and rear brake flush for these increments

Six service increments, total = $4,406.40, starting at 6,000 miles and ending at 36,000 miles.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My local shop provided me with this to assist me with the maintenance scheduling from new to 36k miles:

This is computed for the necessary labor only for your GSA. Additional costs come with the hard parts and fluids.

The service increments are every 6,000 miles, e.g. 6, 12, 18, 24, 30, and 36,000 miles.

At 6, 18, and 30,000 miles – $302.40 per increment x 3 increments = $907.20

BMW service – checks, function tests, vehicle test, setting computer parameters, using computer diagnostic system

Oil change in engine with filter (for maintenance) (annually or every 6,000 miles)

Omitting rear bevel gear, valve clearance, spark plugs, air filter, front and rear brake flush for these increments

At 12, 24, and 36,000 miles – $1,166.40 per increment x 3 increments = $3,499.20

BMW service – checks, function tests, vehicle test, setting computer parameters

Oil change in engine with filter (for maintenance) (annually or every 6,000 miles

Including rear bevel gear, valve clearance, spark plug, air filter, front and rear brake flush for these increments

Six service increments, total = $4,406.40, starting at 6,000 miles and ending at 36,000 miles.
I do all my own maintenance except for the valve adjustments. I purchased a GS-911 diagnostic tool and even at $400. it is a money saver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I owned so many bikes (can't even remember all of them) in last 35 years. But, my new GS is the first bike I have without the list of what is to be done at which scheduled service. My previous 4 bikes were Suzuki and all of them had in Owners Manual the list with extensive description of what is to be checked, replaced or adjusted at what mileage or age of the bike.
With my new GS I'm in complete darkness. I know about air filter, oil, oil filter, brake fluid etc. They are universal for all bikes but I have no idea of anything specific for GS.

Is Service Manual the only answer?

My second question is about clutch fluid. I think it's a bit strange not to have a little window to see the fluid level in reservoir. It's also my first bike with hydraulic clutch where I can't look at the fluid level. Am I missing something here?

Thanks
Clutch fluid is mineral oil and does not need to be changed. As the clutch wears the fluid level will rise and a small amount may need to be removed. There is a mark on the inside of the master cylinder....

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for clarifying about clutch fluid. Now, what about the alternator belt? Does my bike have one? At what mileage should it be changed?

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's some interesting stuff. Thanks.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all, I found the schedule for my 2021. I'd just like to have some more info on alternator belt as I plan to service the bike at the BMW dealer only during warranty period (3 years). After that, it will be serviced by me or at Suzuki dealer that is friend of mine (with friendly prices).
I just need to know about the belt. It's good for how many miles?
Ah, and by the way I don't believe that clutch oil is for lifetime. If I don't find any valid information on it, I'll replace it at least every 3 years with BMW recommended oil.

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
Thanks to all, I found the schedule for my 2021. I'd just like to have some more info on alternator belt as I plan to service the bike at the BMW dealer only during warranty period (3 years). After that, it will be serviced by me or at Suzuki dealer that is friend of mine (with friendly prices).
Ah, and by the way I don't believe that clutch oil is for lifetime. If I don't find any valid information on it, I'll replace it at least every 3 years with BMW recommended oil.
Alternator belt is likely a 50,000 mile interval or longer...and a pain to do on the liquid cooled bikes.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I'm still recovering from taking a financial hit with new bike purchase but when I recover I guess I'll get GS-911 and service manuals.

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
One item worth doing is moly lube on your final drive splines. They are known to rust on some bikes, to the point of rusting the shaft to final drive if not caught in time. Normally done when you change the final drive gear oil. You could ask your dealer to do or easy to do yourself.

·
Registered
100 Posts
One item worth doing is moly lube on your final drive splines. They are known to rust on some bikes, to the point of rusting thr shaft to final drive if not caught in time. Normally done when you change the final drive gear oil. You could ask your dealer to do or easy to do yourself.
Is the FD still a problem for the GS?

I swore off BMW for years due to a FD failure on my R1150GS that BMW refused to acknowledge or fix. Very frustrating as everyone in the world knew there was an issue.

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
Is the FD still a problem for the GS?

I swore off BMW for years due to a FD failure on my R1150GS that BMW refused to acknowledge or fix. Very frustrating as everyone in the world knew there was an issue.
From what I've read the final drive itself is fine if maintained. The spline rust issue seems to be hit or miss with some new bikes with low miles having rust issues. Its any easy maintenance thing that if lubed every 6 or 12k keeps rust away.

There are likely new and different issues "BMW refused to acknowledge or fix"
:)

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
One item worth doing is moly lube on your final drive splines.
Yes, that is something I'll do by myself when bike gets to the end of its first year of life and then after that every 24 months. I've seen many Youtube videos on how to do it and it's easy job.
My bike lives in dry garage. It's to be ridden all year round in dry clima. Here in south of Portugal we have very hot summers and mild winters and it almost never rains. I don't ever ride in rain except if I get cought by rain by surprise. If weather forecast says it's gonna rain, I take my car. Also, there is no salt on the roads here, ever.
So, rear drive maintenance every 24 months will be OK. The most important one will be after its first 12 months service. It will also serve to see if the splines came lubricated from factory.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts