R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2016 BMW GSA; 2014 BMW R1200R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of the original C4's I bought at the Las Vegas BMW dealership back in 2018. It is still under the 5 year warranty as I registered it online as required. I live in NC and cannot take it back to Las Vegas for a warranty issue. The original Schuberth pinlock that was installed no longer works as it has separated away from the visor. This apparently is a known problem for this helmet (along with a few other issues) and it was corrected in the new release. I contacted customer support and was told the issue I have is user error and they will not cover it. I am pleading my case to Schuberth but they seem to be turning a deaf ear. Has anyone had any success or suggestion on how I can get them to fix this manufacturer defect? I have heard of other people having new pinlocs and replacement screens sent so I am not sure why I am running into this brick wall.

Schubeth has started going down hill for a few years and I am starting to wonder what my next helmet should be as I will no longer pay premium pricing for subpar products and service.

·
Super Moderator
1,012 Posts
I'd try you local BMW dealer to see if they can put some pressure on Schuberth. They may have a dealer support path that is more effective. Can't hurt.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Schubeth has started going down hill for a few years
I can't help directly answer your question. I understand the original gen C4 had a Schuberth proprietary pinloc and not the standard 'Pinlock'. Perhaps that's your issue?

I am simply inquiring about your quoted comment above since I'm looking at two Schuberth helmets now. Can you kindly share how exactly Schuberth is going downhill? I'm seriously asking for a quantifiable answer and absolutely not asking sarcastically. I want to be aware if there are specific areas of concern that I can review and judge the level of concern for myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can't help directly answer your question. I understand the original gen C4 had a Schuberth proprietary pinloc and not the standard 'Pinlock'. Perhaps that's your issue?

I am simply inquiring about your quoted comment above since I'm looking at two Schuberth helmets now. Can you kindly share how exactly Schuberth is going downhill? I'm seriously asking for a quantifiable answer and absolutely not asking sarcastically. I want to be aware if there are specific areas of concern that I can review and judge the level of concern for myself.
I have 4 helmets at this stage (always room for more 😂). I've had a Schuberth C3 Pro, I dropped it heavily and replaced it with a C4 Pro, the other helmets are a Shark, Shoei Neotec 2 and an Airoh carbon adventure helmet. I rate the C3 Pro and C4 Pro as way better than any other of my current helmets. The quality is excellent and fortunately I have not had any issues so I cant really comment and the warranty/after sales service.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have one of the original C4's I bought at the Las Vegas BMW dealership back in 2018. It is still under the 5 year warranty as I registered it online as required. I live in NC and cannot take it back to Las Vegas for a warranty issue. The original Schuberth pinlock that was installed no longer works as it has separated away from the visor. This apparently is a known problem for this helmet (along with a few other issues) and it was corrected in the new release. I contacted customer support and was told the issue I have is user error and they will not cover it. I am pleading my case to Schuberth but they seem to be turning a deaf ear. Has anyone had any success or suggestion on how I can get them to fix this manufacturer defect? I have heard of other people having new pinlocs and replacement screens sent so I am not sure why I am running into this brick wall.

Schubeth has started going down hill for a few years and I am starting to wonder what my next helmet should be as I will no longer pay premium pricing for subpar products and service.
Ok so you are saying that there is now a space between the pinlock and the visor? And the pinlock is loose? Well yes that can happen and all you need to do is tighten the 2 screws on the visor where the pinlock engages. the screws are kind of elliptical and will give your pinlock a tight fit.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Having paid out the best part of $2,000 for two C4 Pro's and two SC1 (A) Comms I was not impressed when I had to send one of the helmets back because a) the Sun Visor jammed internally b) the battery for the comms kept disconnecting and c) the helmet was very noisy from a poor fitting visor and chin bar. They fixed the Sun Visor after 5 weeks mind you but did nothing for the other problems which remain.

Needless to say I am not impressed.

As usual I suspect it's pot luck on who deals with the issue. That said I will not look favourably on Schuberth when it comes to helmet buying time again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had one of the first gen. Schuberth helmets, probably one of the worst lids I have owned.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had one of the first gen. Schuberth helmets, probably one of the worst lids I have owned.
How so specifically?

My wife & I both worked for German companies for decades (combined) and rode with German colleagues that swore by Schuberth helmets. I tried one and loved it......very quiet and comfortable, just heavy. Now I'm looking at buying two of the E1 helmets.

I could care less about electronics/intercom reliability opinions to be honest.......I think folks expectations of battery life & intercom performance are sometimes not realistic and Schuberth isn't an intercom company by design. My intercom expectations haven't yet been met. I need to recalibrate my expectations with the marketplace.

What is it specifically about your helmet that failed or came up short in direct comparison to a comparable flip-up helmet made by company (___)? My old Shoei Neotec was a little heavy and the liner was not replaceable but it was certainly not a bad helmet. Just a little disappointed in the liner durability.

I'd like to be a better informed consumer before I spend $$$$ on two helmets. I'd hate for people to read these blanket statements and truly think Schuberth helmets are junk when they might indeed be one of the very best helmets in the marketplace. Looking forward to your quantifiable answer! It might save me some $$ and I'd appreciate that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How so specifically?

My wife & I both worked for German companies for decades (combined) and rode with German colleagues that swore by Schuberth helmets. I tried one and loved it......very quiet and comfortable, just heavy. Now I'm looking at buying two of the E1 helmets.

I could care less about electronics/intercom reliability opinions to be honest.......I think folks expectations of battery life & intercom performance are sometimes not realistic and Schuberth isn't an intercom company by design. My intercom expectations haven't yet been met. I need to recalibrate my expectations with the marketplace.

What is it specifically about your helmet that failed or came up short in direct comparison to a comparable flip-up helmet made by company (___)? My old Shoei Neotec was a little heavy and the liner was not replaceable but it was certainly not a bad helmet. Just a little disappointed in the liner durability.

I'd like to be a better informed consumer before I spend $$$$ on two helmets. I'd hate for people to read these blanket statements and truly think Schuberth helmets are junk when they might indeed be one of the very best helmets in the marketplace. Looking forward to your quantifiable answer! It might save me some $$ and I'd appreciate that.
Hey Dan,

In my case I generally by the best quality I can find. Schuberth appeared to be that. For me and for my wife, when she rides with me, comms are important and so having tried BMW which is a disgrace ie the Comms not only does not work as designed with BMW Entertainment Systems on my then K1600 GTL, but it will not work with anything else either, forcing one to buy BMW Helmets and Comms, period. A shocking piece of exploitation if ever there was one and sadly typical of BMW.

Anyway I fixed the battery issue on the Schuberth Comms, which is a known problem, with a piece of plastic wedged into hold the battery in its case. The noise from an ill fitting visor/chin bar I've learned to put up with. The Schuberth comms, which are in fact made by Sena now works well. I added an RC4 and and RC3 remote for my wife and I which again work well completely sidestepping the very expensive but useless BMW bike system on the GTL. We've now transplanted both helmets and comms etc to the GSA.

Hope all of this helps. Our personal search continues for Schuberth replacements. We haven't found one yet.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
How so specifically?

Dan Ive owned the Neotec then the neotec 2 then a C3 Pro and now a C4 Pro. the Neotec 2 somehow feels more solid, but I hate the narrow field of vision.
I love the C4 Pro. its quieter than my Neotec 2.
hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

Hi Dan. I originally bought a C3Pro back in 2014 and it was a game change for me as it vented better than anything I had and was ligh and quiet. While I was travelling cross country in 2018 the internal visor mechanism broke. I was out of warranty because I did not register it online (for the 5 year warranty) so I was only on a 2 year warranty, which I think is BS because I had proof of purchase so why does online registration matter? I was at the dealer in Las Vegas and the new C4 had come out and it felt better and I was in the middle of a 4 month trip so I bought the C4 "original'". I only found out last year that Schuberth admitted that the original C4 was a mistake and there is an internal memo which lists 30 known problems of the original C4 which prompted them to redesign and now we have the C4 Pro and C4 Basic. They rushed it out and did not test properly and let the customer Beta the helmet for them which is deceptive especially after spending $700. I didn't like that I had buy the helmet with a proprietary communication system either. Read any reviews on the SC1 for the C4 "original" and C4 Pro and you will see it is not well received. They force you to buy the helmet with mic and speakers installed and then still charge $300 for the rest of the system. I can get a Cardo Packtalk or Sena 50S for around $300-$350 and both are better. The proprietary comm system is made by Sena but it is Bluetooth only while the ones I mentioned from Sena and Cardo are mesh network and BT and have HD large speakers. The helmets are built with quality but wear rough, I put about 10-15K miles a year so and the both chipped a lot. Also the liners are a bit finicky to remove (they are in there really good). They say it is antimicrobial and not prone to odor but they do develop a funk like any helmet worn in high heat and humidity. I just wish I could take the liners out more easily to wash, especially when on a long trip. They also do not dry out very well and you will put your head back into a wet liner the next morning unless you remove it and wash/dry it. My C4 original is a loud helmet compared to the C3 Pro but I have heard the new C4 is quiet because it now has a redesigned neck roll (which allows less airflow from below so I suspect the trade off is it gets hotter. The final complaint I have is that their face shields do not have a robust enough ratchet system so if you are riding with the internal visor down but the face shield up the wind will constantly blow it down. It depends on how big your windscreen is but on my 1200 GSA I have to have it up all the way to avoid this problem, albeit now I don't get the benefit of getting air on hot days. I never ride with the chin guard up but I have read where some folks will do that with no issues so the visor problem is resolved. It just seems unsafe to me. So its the little things that bother me and it was not always this way. Paying $700-$900 for a helmet I want it to be perfect. Also, my person experience with customer service has been disappointing. 3 days now and they have not replied. They asked me questions and I responded promptly. They still claim item user issue and not manuf defect

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so you are saying that there is now a space between the pinlock and the visor? And the pinlock is loose? Well yes that can happen and all you need to do is tighten the 2 screws on the visor where the pinlock engages. the screws are kind of elliptical and will give your pinlock a tight fit.
Hope this helps.
Hi, thank you for the advice. That is exactly what happened. I did try to tighten the pin loc but it did not change the situation. This original C4 had their proprietary pin loc and due to this common issue they went with the actual Pin Loc brand.

·
Registered
41 Posts
@Roy_Reuter That is an excellent summary and I very much recognize/appreciate the time you put into it! I 100% understand your frustrations and feel your expectations are reasonable for the $$. Very fair assessment based on your experiences. Could be worth trying a Shoei or [brand name here] for comparison next time(?).

Best regards to you in getting everything sorted. I'll monitor this post for updates from you in your dealings with Schuberth. Hang tough.....good luck sir!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Dan. I originally bought a C3Pro back in 2014 and it was a game change for me as it vented better than anything I had and was ligh and quiet. While I was travelling cross country in 2018 the internal visor mechanism broke. I was out of warranty because I did not register it online (for the 5 year warranty) so I was only on a 2 year warranty, which I think is BS because I had proof of purchase so why does online registration matter? I was at the dealer in Las Vegas and the new C4 had come out and it felt better and I was in the middle of a 4 month trip so I bought the C4 "original'". I only found out last year that Schuberth admitted that the original C4 was a mistake and there is an internal memo which lists 30 known problems of the original C4 which prompted them to redesign and now we have the C4 Pro and C4 Basic. They rushed it out and did not test properly and let the customer Beta the helmet for them which is deceptive especially after spending $700. I didn't like that I had buy the helmet with a proprietary communication system either. Read any reviews on the SC1 for the C4 "original" and C4 Pro and you will see it is not well received. They force you to buy the helmet with mic and speakers installed and then still charge $300 for the rest of the system. I can get a Cardo Packtalk or Sena 50S for around $300-$350 and both are better. The proprietary comm system is made by Sena but it is Bluetooth only while the ones I mentioned from Sena and Cardo are mesh network and BT and have HD large speakers. The helmets are built with quality but wear rough, I put about 10-15K miles a year so and the both chipped a lot. Also the liners are a bit finicky to remove (they are in there really good). They say it is antimicrobial and not prone to odor but they do develop a funk like any helmet worn in high heat and humidity. I just wish I could take the liners out more easily to wash, especially when on a long trip. They also do not dry out very well and you will put your head back into a wet liner the next morning unless you remove it and wash/dry it. My C4 original is a loud helmet compared to the C3 Pro but I have heard the new C4 is quiet because it now has a redesigned neck roll (which allows less airflow from below so I suspect the trade off is it gets hotter. The final complaint I have is that their face shields do not have a robust enough ratchet system so if you are riding with the internal visor down but the face shield up the wind will constantly blow it down. It depends on how big your windscreen is but on my 1200 GSA I have to have it up all the way to avoid this problem, albeit now I don't get the benefit of getting air on hot days. I never ride with the chin guard up but I have read where some folks will do that with no issues so the visor problem is resolved. It just seems unsafe to me. So its the little things that bother me and it was not always this way. Paying $700-$900 for a helmet I want it to be perfect. Also, my person experience with customer service has been disappointing. 3 days now and they have not replied. They asked me questions and I responded promptly. They still claim item user issue and not manuf defect
Although on different continents my experience of Schuberth Customer Care was similarly poor. I do have the 5 year warranty, sent it back and only 25% of the faults were fixed taking 5 weeks on a brand new helmet to fix. My C4 Pro is still very noisy, the Chin Bar does not lock on a regular basis and the SC1(A) Comms cuts intermittently (known fault loose battery). Hey ho. Do I buy Schuberth next time? ;-)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
So to sum it up....the Schuberths are a perfect match to our BMWs :)
Those who got good ones are super happy. the others are busy to and fro between the dealership and riding!
Waiting times for parts are long ( Was a month or more) for my front shock, then rear shock, then headlight, then quickshifter, then rear master cylinder............and the list still goes on!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had an issue with my M1+comms system. There was a crackle on the speakers at times. Sent in the helmet, they checked it out (mailed helmet to San Diego). Long story short said that the crackle sounds where within specifications.

So I live with the crackle sounds at times. They where very responsive and professional. But their end statement was alittle suspect to me. My C3-Pro has no issues with the comms...

Would I buy another Schuberth, sure.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have Nolan N104 also helmet with pinlock. In very rare case I open only visor, usually like to be open whole face part. I also have a problem with disassembling of pinlock from the visor. I ask dealer and only one solution was to buy completely new one visor and pinlock. Now new parts stays in a garage and waiting for some long distance travel, to be mounted on helmet. For everyday use still use old almost disassembled parts.
Obviously all manufacturers of helmets with pinlock have a serious problem with this. I think in 21st century every one manufacturer will discover good solution of this problem and stable parts, but they dont want to make product that will stay 10 years without problems. They want to sell more and more spare parts, without thinking about client opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE: After not getting anywhere with Schuberth NA I reached out to Schuberth Germany. They forwarded/helped me get to a “higher up” level at Schuberth NA and today I was informed they will be sending me a paid shipping label. In true German fashion they want me to return the entire helmet even though I told them it was just the visor. They said they need to assure “true fit during reassembly.” A bit overkill but I have an Arai XD4 to hold me over so it won’t be a big inconvenience. I’ll keep everyone posted after I get the helmet back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
UPDATE: After not getting anywhere with Schuberth NA I reached out to Schuberth Germany. They forwarded/helped me get to a “higher up” level at Schuberth NA and today I was informed they will be sending me a paid shipping label. In true German fashion they want me to return the entire helmet even though I told them it was just the visor. They said they need to assure “true fit during reassembly.” A bit overkill but I have an Arai XD4 to hold me over so it won’t be a big inconvenience. I’ll keep everyone posted after I get the helmet back.
A shame you had to reach out to AG to get help - I agree with your comments about no longer paying a premium price for subpar products/service. I can accept a warranty issue but do not expect to have to pay for repairs - my C3 Pro (3rd Schuberth) chin bar would not lock in the open position after about 1 year of ownership (registered and under warranty) - had to return at my expense per the diagnosis below from Schuberth and was told it is a 'wear issue" - don't ride with the bar in the open position at all - 'repair' lasted for about a year and no longer will not stay up. To my understanding and confirmed by their reply to my query - "a know issue with the helmet". So, we pay a premium price for the helmets, recognized short comings in design referred to as 'wear components', and pay shipping to have a band aid fix performed. While, overall, I liked the helmet, I shall not purchase another Schubert product - shelved the C3 for an AGV Sportmodular carbon fiber

·
Registered
116 Posts
How so specifically?
Painful to wear after a a hour or so and the sun visor fell to bits.
How so specifically?

I found the helmet very uncomfortable even though it seemed ok in the shop. I seem to remember also that the visor broke. It certainly put me off buying one again.
These days are I use the Spanish brand MT. They are a fraction of the cost of Schuberth and for me do a better job.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts