R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to have Russell Day Long to rebuild my seat. I've used them before on my touring bikes and have always done the full leather coverings which have been great. For my 1250 GSA I have decided to do something different and I have been going back and forth between coverings. I live in Florida and I am thinking that the vinyl may be a bit warm and sticky, but I have black leather on my K1600 and I don't really think about that issue at all. My concern about Sunbrella is that it may be too difficult to move around on.

Any owners of Sunbrella covered seats have pros and cons about them? Or does it just make sense to go with the safe bet of Vinyl covering? TIA.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Try an Air-Flow seat cover. This thing actually works. Much cooler than a stock seat, water does run off it. It's grippy enough and comfortable. I was really surprised how well it works.

Reactions: Purm1200GS

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had two RDL saddles, with the sunbrella fabric cover. The first seat is on my 2005 K1200LT and was purchased in 2014. The seat has about 38K miles and has been ridden in all types of conditions in the US and Canada. The second is on my 2010GS and is also well broken in, with about 25K on the seat. The best feature, is that unlike vinyl, I can leave the bike uncovered in the sun on hot summer days and ride away without getting second degree burns on my butt. It is not as slippery as vinyl when you sit down, so I don't slide forward in the saddle. It and hasn't faded over time at all. I generally spray with scotch guard on an annual basis and it resists stains and dirt. As far as rain protection, I use a seat cover during heavy downpours, but with anything less, like brief showers and on and off rain storms during travel, it resists water and dries pretty quickly. A couple of hours in the sun usually does the trick.
As you can tell, I'm a fan of it!

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200 GSA Triple Black
147 Posts
I had a ride in appointment on July 13. I went with vinyl sides with a grey leather seating area. I just finished an almost 2800 mile tour taking me from Nevada to Colorado and back. All I can say is the RDL seat is amazing.
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive lighting Vehicle
Motor vehicle Plant Car Automotive tire Vehicle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts