R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, does anyone know what the difference in height it between the standard and low seat options on the GS.
If I wanted to convert back to ‘standard’. Is it a simple case of buying that seat or do I need to bear other things in mind?
Are the seats between R1200GS’s compatible or does BMW make subtle changes so you have to get a specific years model to fit?

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
525 Posts
Hi mrmortar,

To give you better informations, tell us more about your GS (Year, version, etc.)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
So no worries...buy a low seat and if unhappy go back to your normal seat. The difference is in the amount of foam on the seat pan. The structure is the same and interchangeable

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok great - so across the R1200 range the seats on these things are interchangeable are they?

I only ask as coming from a Yamaha MT-09 they changes subtle things every couple of years.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
2004 - 2013 seats interchange

• GS Low seat is about 1" lower then the standard seat set on the lowest position
  • GS Standard seat has a low/hi setting (most run high on the front low on the rear to keep from being a nut squishier). In low this seat is about 1" higher than the low seat and set on the highest setting is about 2" higher
  • GSA seat has low/hi settings. On the low setting it is about 1" higher than the standard seat on the highest setting. The highest setting adds about an inch to that.
So between the GS "low" and GSA seat set on high you have about 5 inches of adjustability between all 3 seats.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Can anyone tell me then if a 1250 GS low seat is interchangeable with a 2014 GS std seat......
Yes, it is. Seats for all wethead GS/GSA (2013 - 2021 GS and 2014 - 2021 GSA) are interchangeable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Heads up though! I just put a custom seat on my GS that turned out to be a low seat. All that the lowering is good for is getting both feet widely on the ground. Many folks think that helps them feel more secure, but the truth is that after riding the bike for awhile, one learns how to find out the balance point and the lowered seat doesn’t really matter then. Learning how to properly manage the bike will eliminate the need for the low seat.

My big worry is that the low seat is going to cause my knees to ache on long rides because my legs are more crunched up

·
Registered
120 Posts
Heads up though! I just put a custom seat on my GS that turned out to be a low seat. All that the lowering is good for is getting both feet widely on the ground. Many folks think that helps them feel more secure, but the truth is that after riding the bike for awhile, one learns how to find out the balance point and the lowered seat doesn’t really matter then. Learning how to properly manage the bike will eliminate the need for the low seat.

My big worry is that the low seat is going to cause my knees to ache on long rides because my legs are more crunched up
Ezzakly. Which is why I ride a factory-lowered GSA with a regular seat instead of a regular GSA with a low seat. I'm sure the increased knee bend bothers some more than others, and my knees will let me know when they're unhappy. Any physical therapist will tell you that people's inherent flexibility varies: some bend easily and some don't.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 2018 R1200GS Rallye was a tad bit too high for my liking, Could almost flat foot with stock seat and sport suspension. Thought a BMW low would be just the ticket. Luckily tried it out before buying and it made no difference in feet to ground. Also tried a Sargent low, and my feet were less flat footed because it was a little wider as well as lower. I'm convinced only a custom seat maker can make much of a difference.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 2018 R1200GS Rallye was a tad bit too high for my liking, Could almost flat foot with stock seat and sport suspension. Thought a BMW low would be just the ticket. Luckily tried it out before buying and it made no difference in feet to ground. Also tried a Sargent low, and my feet were less flat footed because it was a little wider as well as lower. I'm convinced only a custom seat maker can make much of a difference.
Yes, the wider seat pan on the lower seat thing is a rascally trick! If riders are going off-road, then a narrow seat is preferred for the fact that the successful off-road rider spends most of their time on the pegs, not the saddle and wide saddle are a physical barrier at the worst possible times.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts