R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to this forum so i appologize if i'm asking a question that's been discussed already. i just bought a 2009 GS and hate the stock seat, I put 900 miles on it last weekend and was very sore afterwards. I was at the international rally and spoke to many vendors about various options but remain confused as to what would be the best option for serious distance riding. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've got a Sargent on my 011 GS and it is far better than stock. I also have had a Corbin and Mayer GS seats, again better than stock. For long rides 500+mi I needed to use an Air Hawk cushion for them all in order not to experience discomfort. The Air Hawk is not cheap butt worth every penny!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Custom Seat

Lets face it, no matter what BMW says, the stock GS seats are just plain un-rideable for a duration of more than 3 hours.
I took the trip to Ojai, CA to see Rocky Mayer Bill Mayer Saddles Pictures | Bill Mayer Saddles and could not be happier! 600miles???? NO PROBLEM!

Probably between $400-500 to do it right but worth every penny.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Lets face it, no matter what BMW says, the stock GS seats are just plain un-rideable for a duration of more than 3 hours.
Maybe it's your butt.

I've got 72K on the (mostly) stock saddle with many, many rides that have left me in the saddle for much longer than three hours. I'm not an iron butt rider. A long day for me is 500-600 miles. A simple sheepskin over the stock saddle is all I need to do that kind of daily mileage.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Seats

While everyone is different, most find the stock seat nice to look at, but uncomfortable after riding a while. I tried a sheep skin, helped a little, got farther from home, so very sore by the time I got back home. I bought a Rick Mayer seat, that helped a little more now 2-3 hours when it isn't real hot out. Put a gel pad on it that helped a little not can get far enough to be almost lost before butt gets tender. I ordered a Russel it won't be here for a month, I hope it is close to as good as many have told me.

Good luck on your search, no one seat is perfect I think, hope I change that in a month.

·
Registered
402 Posts
With all due respect, marc, you have to admit that adding a sheep skin is a modification. I still find it reprehensible that a company with a reputation for innovation and engineering to the most minute detail, could put such an unridable seat on a machine that was purpose built for long hard days in the saddle. Boo BMW boo!
Setting my rant aside, my Saddlemen seat has broken in nicely, but it was gradual, and did take the full 1500 miles to do so. Or is it my bottom that is broken in? Hmm...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the sargent seat, way better than stock, cost me 500.00 for both pieces. Just for the record if you find a 2004-2008 sargent seat it is a perfect fit for the 2012 GSA. Basically 04-12 is the same seat front and back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2012 GSA seat is being rebuilt by Baldwin Saddles. I should have it back next week. I can post pictures or a link to photos of the seat once it gets back. I chose Baldwin for the seat on my VStrom DL1000 and wrote a review of it in the March 12 Motorcycle Consumer News. Once I got 700 miles or so on that seat I could ride the VStrom for hours and hours.

Obviously I liked it enough to buy another custom seat from him within a year. My wife even willingly gave up her AirHawk with Alaska sheepskin pad on top that she used on the Travelcade Stealth seat on my ST1100.

Every one is different and will like one style seat over another. But I'm now a convert to custom built seats. And Loren Mock at Baldwin Saddles is fantastic to work with.

Here's a link to his BMW photo gallery. Mine should be slightly different than the GS seat shown.
BMW Motorcycles Custom Seats Photos by Baldwin Motorbike Saddles

·
Registered
98 Posts
Try riding the stock seat with the front high and the back low. The owners manual says 'no', but it has been discussed here and many do it. It stops the sliding board feel and is actually workable. Well, not like a custom seat, but you won't be in pain in an hour. At least I wasn't.

I rode about 1200 miles over the last weekend on it and it wasn't that bad.

But seat are seats - different for every rider.

·
Registered
84 Posts
+1 for bill Mayer seats, has made a world of difference for my 2011 1220gs
Made arrangements ahead of time seat arrived in their shop on a Friday back at my place the following Wednesday would have been back sooner but fedex ground lost it for a week before it got to rockys shop

·
Registered
164 Posts
I somewhat agree with Marc!! I'll do 500 miles on the stock seat no problems. I do find it hard to decide to buy another seat before trying it out first! Even if someone says that it's the best there is! We do have different butts and I don't think any one seat is better than others, just that certain seats are better fit to some! Like "papa-alpha" mentioned I do ride with the seat high in front and low in back, it makes a difference! I'll change it if doing alot off road. Proper clothing does a difference too, BMW rally pro3 pants works well for me, while some swear by other brands. I'll even wear a certain type of underwear, LOL...!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Rdl

I got my Russel a couple weeks ago. Took a couple short rides 80 miles each way. Right away I can tell it is a keeper, my rear is very happy, finally. The more i ride it the more comfortable it seems to get. Been to busy to ride much but even with the temperature around 90 75 -100 mile between stops is nothing. Headed west I hope the end of the week, will report back what I think after riding longer distances.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Russell Day Long

after trying them all....Corbin, Sergeant, Mayer(rick), Mayer(Bill), Renazzco, and countless others i bought my first Russell Day long. It is by far the best seat I have ever rode. And I have over a million miles on BMW's.

There are issues though, they are wide and tend to be difficult for shorter riders to reach the ground. At 6-4 I dont have this problem and therefore I LOVE IT!

Second place for me is a tie between Corbin and Rick Mayer. Please note all my seats, with the exception of the few that came on bikes i purchased, were built during ride in appointments. I feel this is the only way to get a great fitting seat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Rdl

In Colorado riding, what a great place to test a comfortable seat. The RDL has been the best seat yet for me. For a shorter rider it might be a problem at stops,I am 6'2" 34" inseam. I have to slide forward just a little to flat foot stops, though the seat is getting more comfortable all the time. Rode 300 miles the other afternoon, with a few stops for pictures, and gas.

Left Silverton CO with a flat tire, tired plugging it but that didn't work. Hopped from gas station to gas station till I got to a Walmart. Put a new plug in and some Slime, still leaking but slower. It took 250 miles before I could go more than 30 miles between pumping up the rear tire. Finally the last 60 miles it sealed up, it seemed riding faster helped, with more air pressure at the pump ups. Got a new tire installed and back on the road, now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BMW Torture Seat

Took delivery of a new R1200 GS Adventure Low about 6 weeks ago. After getting the 600 mile service done, I embarked on a 3600 mile in 8 days trip. I was in pain almost the entire way. It is reprehensible for a company to sell a product like this. I could not wait to park the bike in the garage, and won't ride it again until the seat is replaced. Shame on you BMW. The only good thing about this seat is it brought me to this website. Hopefully I will find an answer. The bike performed flawlessly otherwise.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Like everyone is saying .....its not BMWs fault! everyones backside, riding position etc etc is different....there are thousandssss of owners who ride the stock seat and find it comfortable.
I ride the stock seat and its comfortable fo me, my buddy has a Sagent and I absolutley hate it....to wide and splays the legs open

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got back from a 3600 mile trip to Nova Scotia. My butte is still in pain. After research I am leaning toward the saddlemen, but I am intrigued by the Touratech. Does anyone know anything about that seat

1 - 20 of 38 Posts