R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I stop for a pit stop break, or a quick lunch or at work, I have usually secured my helmet with a padlock through the D rings onto something on the bike.

I always felt this was a bit sloppy because someone could slice the strap and take the helmet. However I rationalized it figuring that the helmet would be useless if the security straps were destroyed, right?

I recently heard an Adventure Rider Radio (ARR) podcast mention that someone who is going to slice the straps to steal your helmet, chances are they won't secure it anyway, but just place it on their head unsecured. Stupid? yes, but you cannot underestimate stupid. So, I began to look around for security devices...and they exist...for a price. The suggestion from ARR was to place any securing cable through the chin and out through the visor.
A simple short cable should exist, right? I couldn't find one.
I found a company that fab'd one for me for the grand total of $6.80delivered. It works perfectly, is flexible, short, easy to use and certainly strong enough for anything short of a bolt cutter.
I measured the distance needed to be 17" and went with the thinner of the two stranded cables ava. Very easy people to deal with and quick service. Very satisfied with this very cheap insurance to protect against a potentially expensive loss, and I wanted to share
https://www.tufnut.com/

17" (tip to tip) SC cable (3/16-1/4" OD black) with loop ends and heat shrink all fittings

Attachments

·
Super Awesom Person
563 Posts
When I stop for a pit stop break, or a quick lunch or at work, I have usually secured my helmet with a padlock through the D rings onto something on the bike.

I always felt this was a bit sloppy because someone could slice the strap and take the helmet. However I rationalized it figuring that the helmet would be useless if the security straps were destroyed, right?

I recently heard an Adventure Rider Radio (ARR) podcast mention that someone who is going to slice the straps to steal your helmet, chances are they won't secure it anyway, but just place it on their head unsecured. Stupid? yes, but you cannot underestimate stupid. So, I began to look around for security devices...and they exist...for a price. The suggestion from ARR was to place any securing cable through the chin and out through the visor.
A simple short cable should exist, right? I couldn't find one.
I found a company that fab'd one for me for the grand total of $6.80delivered. It works perfectly, is flexible, short, easy to use and certainly strong enough for anything short of a bolt cutter.
I measured the distance needed to be 17" and went with the thinner of the two stranded cables ava. Very easy people to deal with and quick service. Very satisfied with this very cheap insurance to protect against a potentially expensive loss, and I wanted to share
https://www.tufnut.com/

17" (tip to tip) SC cable (3/16-1/4" OD black) with loop ends and heat shrink all fittings
That's a good idea. I think I'm going to order one on Monday. Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just use a cheap bicycle combo cable lock (thin-wire ones that coil up on themselves)

I can't post a link, but if you google "Master Lock 8143D" you'll see the one.

Mine came with a little metal tab with the combination on it, that I attached to my keychain in case I forget the combo.

The purpose of the lock is to discourage crimes of opportunity. A determined thief won't be deterred by something more robust.

I also have a second one that I can slip through the sleeve of my riding jacket and lock it to the bike frame, in case I want to leave my jacket behind. The jacket doesn't fit in a top box with all the armor in it.

I only use these rarely, as I am usually in pretty remote or small-town areas.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Another day in the life of a fool:

Living at or near the epicenter of teefdom, I'm no virgin. That said, traveling throughout the US and Canada at pit stops, I place my helmet between the tank bag and the bars and drape my jacket over it all. Never, in miles and miles, place to place have I lost this gamble. Nighttime when I camp, kit resides inside my tent or if motelling it, in my room. Did I forget to tell you about the $49 motel in Oklahoma that charged me three times for one night's stay? You can run but you can't hide.

Did I also forget to mention that my Aerostich jacket is road danger cone orange? That color acts like insect repellent for your more stylish thieves. I don't disagree with locks and cables but they are not for me.

·
Super Moderator
705 Posts
I usually take my helmet and jacket inside with me at restaurants and such. There have been a few times when I needed to lock up my jacket and helmet on the bike and luckily a friend had a long cable lock and could do them all. Those occasions were usually when hiking off the bike.

I personally have a weird cognitive dissonance with locking my helmet on the bike. If I don't feel safe leaving it outside out of sight, then where my mind goes is that if I leave it outside, someone will dump something disgusting inside it. I know, that makes no sense. So I leave it hung on the mirror or take it in with me.

·
Super Awesom Person
563 Posts
I usually take my helmet and jacket inside with me at restaurants and such. There have been a few times when I needed to lock up my jacket and helmet on the bike and luckily a friend had a long cable lock and could do them all. Those occasions were usually when hiking off the bike.

I personally have a weird cognitive dissonance with locking my helmet on the bike. If I don't feel safe leaving it outside out of sight, then where my mind goes is that if I leave it outside, someone will dump something disgusting inside it. I know, that makes no sense. So I leave it hung on the mirror or take it in with me.
That has been my fear as well. I remember a while back someone on the 1600 forum saying he left his helmet locked to his bike and when he got back someone had peed in it.
Nevertheless I'm going to order that cable so I can leave it on the bike at gas stations . I hate taking it into the men's room and leaving it unlocked on the bike is not an option. I don't want to get stuck in the middle of no-place without a helmet.

·
Registered
373 Posts
People, the above lock can be picked in about 10 seconds. I picked my friends SAME lock in about 45 seconds (I'm no expert!). I've seen experts, where I watched, opened in seconds.

Seriously, it's a very weak lock.

Kam

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use a ski lock. Retractable stranded cable, combination lock. Amazon...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a nice folding Sigtuna lock, that I found on Amazon for my jacket (run through a sleeve), both work for either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
373 Posts
Got this on Amazon for my helmet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I use that very one, for over 2 years. I have it connected to the tail of the bike and tucked behind passenger saddle. When I need to lock something, I just pull it out and use. I've locked my riding suit and helmet with it!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
(with respect to all)

well, whatever makes you feel like you're protecting it is probably better than nothing.

The cable is not the weak link, but it's the lock and those locks are flimsy. Even the heft of my Master lock can be picked with the right tool (and the right tool is needed). To get a "pick-proof" lock you're looking at over $200 USD and they have a useless design for our purposes.
Webbing can be cut easily with a sharp knife, razor blade, heavy duty scissors, so even though there may be aircraft grade metal involved---and is aircraft grade resistant to cutting or just light and strong for it's weight IOW a marketing term?---and, webbing is webbing, just like the straps in your helmet. Bicycle U-Locks are notorious for being easy to defeat.

What I wanted was something SHORT, ie not 2 feet, specific for the helmet and strong and resistant to a passer-by with common tools in their pocket--like a swiss army knife or a hunting knife or a Leatherman---and evil intent.
Maybe I am being overly paranoid about the whole thing, but testimonials are pretty worthless if it happens to you. I could say I've ridden close to 300k miles with no instance of even attempted theft, but would that make anyone feel better? So maybe it is not a problem...or it is a problem and we are all lucky that the right thief did not come along. Or it's possible that even minimum protection is enough to deter?
But good discussion!

I will say that on the road, I almost never see helmets secured, but usually just hung on a mirror.

And rain is part of the experience, often the easy part. I hope it doesn't snow or hail or sleet, or climb above 105 is West Texas, but when you're hundreds or thousands of miles from your garage, you really don't have any control over that. But, you can try to control who would steal your protection.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts