R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
(with respect to all)

well, whatever makes you feel like you're protecting it is probably better than nothing.

The cable is not the weak link, but it's the lock and those locks are flimsy. Even the heft of my Master lock can be picked with the right tool (and the right tool is needed). To get a "pick-proof" lock you're looking at over $200 USD and they have a useless design for our purposes.
Webbing can be cut easily with a sharp knife, razor blade, heavy duty scissors, so even though there may be aircraft grade metal involved---and is aircraft grade resistant to cutting or just light and strong for it's weight IOW a marketing term?---and, webbing is webbing, just like the straps in your helmet. Bicycle U-Locks are notorious for being easy to defeat.

What I wanted was something SHORT, ie not 2 feet, specific for the helmet and strong and resistant to a passer-by with common tools in their pocket--like a swiss army knife or a hunting knife or a Leatherman---and evil intent.
Maybe I am being overly paranoid about the whole thing, but testimonials are pretty worthless if it happens to you. I could say I've ridden close to 300k miles with no instance of even attempted theft, but would that make anyone feel better? So maybe it is not a problem...or it is a problem and we are all lucky that the right thief did not come along. Or it's possible that even minimum protection is enough to deter?
But good discussion!

I will say that on the road, I almost never see helmets secured, but usually just hung on a mirror.

And rain is part of the experience, often the easy part. I hope it doesn't snow or hail or sleet, or climb above 105 is West Texas, but when you're hundreds or thousands of miles from your garage, you really don't have any control over that. But, you can try to control who would steal your protection.
My short steel cable is strong enough that it's not easily cut with a long knife/hunting knife. It probably can be eventually cut through, but the time it will take to do so will draw attention for their efforts. The lock is strong enough and though any lock CAN be picked [ for the most part ] it's very unlikely to be picked by your average walker by seeing the helmet cabled to the bike.

My set up isn't meant to keep a pro from taking the helmet, it's to prevent the theft of opportunity by the helmet just hanging on a mirror or sitting on the seat. I use the cable and lock when I'm going to walk away from the bike for any length of time like motorcycles on main night, but there's hundreds of people milling about checking out the scoots lining both sides of the street for 3 blocks. My set up will prevent a grab and go, not a pro, but that's exactly it's purpose, to prevent the grab and go thefts.

In that regard, my plastic coated steel braided cable and lock are perfectly acceptable for preventing grab and go's of both the jacket and helmet based on venue.

Super Awesom Person
I would not leave my helmet locked to my bike in downtown LA unless it had a Marine guarding it. You need to put in in a top box and hope the bike is still there when you get back.
The reason I got the strap Dr. Strangelove told us about is for the 10 minutes I'm in the restroom at a gas stop. By the way I made an adjustment to that cable. I had them make it 20 inches long and one loop bigger than the other so I can slide it through and only lock one end. I'm extremely grateful he mentioned that place. While I wasn't sure what I was ordering the nice lady knew exactly what I wanted. All in all it was less than ten bucks with shipping and tax and I'm using my Kryptonite lock with it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
I would not leave my helmet locked to my bike in downtown LA unless it had a Marine guarding it. You need to put in in a top box and hope the bike is still there when you get back.
The reason I got the strap Dr. Strangelove told us about is for the 10 minutes I'm in the restroom at a gas stop. By the way I made an adjustment to that cable. I had them make it 20 inches long and one loop bigger than the other so I can slide it through and only lock one end. I'm extremely grateful he mentioned that place. While I wasn't sure what I was ordering the nice lady knew exactly what I wanted. All in all it was less than ten bucks with shipping and tax and I'm using my Kryptonite lock with it.
Agree. I like that it is short and can lay flat, almost disappearing in my smaller topbox- a Pelican 1450, not a lot bigger than a lunchbox. No fist+ size coil. If I fold it, it will fit in my tank bag or even in my pocket. I never lock my jacket, I just wear it. Re the loops one smaller, mine are the same size, "standard, I suppose, and they will slide through each other. And, yeah, I am talking about a 10 min tops out of sight at a gas stop. If I get a snack and a drink, I stand outside with it.
If I am at a restaurant, I park and sit in an area where I can watch it. If I am stopped for the night, it comes with me. Also, I try to hang it so that the opening is facing down so that a bird cannot crap inside. I suppose someone who is 7' tall could relieve himself in it, but most are not that tall or that accurate or ... it may draw attention at the Buc-EEE's in Amarillo.
I am not going to carry an empty case on the bike just for the helmet. YMMV
And yes, they were very accommodating people. I may be looking at a gun trigger lock to use instead of a padlock. Someone from Cali over on ADVrider said police depts give them away.

Registered
Helmet locks and where else to put them...

I believe it is common practice to put your helmet on a mirror when the need to lock it up isn't strong enough to bother...BUT if you read from most helmet manufactures they will have some wording like this in their literature....

"Storage: When not in use, do not rest your helmet on your mirror, handlebars or other hard surfaces. Pressure on the inside of the helmet will cause the liner and the foam shell to breakdown, creating a weak spot in the helmet and impacting its ability to fully protect you."

seems reasonable - so i try to avoid that dynamic. Funny part is if you don't set it on the mirror or handlebar - you sit it on the seat and then EVERY time it rolls off and bounces on the street on the opposite side of the bike where you can't cushion the fall with your foot....don't ask me now i know...

Registered
I open my modular and put it "face down" on the handlebars. Gloves come off first, drape them over where the helmet will go, then the helmet. Gloves keep the helmet from marring the matte finish on the bars. 'Stich goes over the windshield and the helmet, far enough that it keeps drizzle off the visor. No worries about the helmet rolling off the seat or putting the mirror out of whack. I have seen people fasten the chin strap and hang it on the "uphill" footpeg with their gloves stuffed inside, particularly on ferries.

This has served me well for meals, most "touristy" places (several hours), and even overnight at campgrounds. It all comes in with me if I'm staying in a motel, though.

Once in a blue moon I'll lock it - I have a cheap bike cable lock that goes through one sleeve, the chin bar, and the space under the handlebar between the risers. Gloves in a locked pannier.

Will it prevent a determined thief? Of course not. But this system has worked for me for over 200,000 miles of travel in North America.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts