R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I hope you're all safe.

Question. And I believe this has been asked, maybe by me!, so....

At what point do you shift rpm wise?

I've seen videos of gs's and their shifting was around 7k...

Wondering.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Honestly I never look, it all comes down to how hard I am on the throttle. Easy touring with light throttle probably around 3,500-4,000 RPM. WOT I've bounced off the rev limiter.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
176 Posts
I second Candubrain, the GS's have a wide power band, as long as you don't 'lug' the motor by shifting too low, anything that suit your business is good.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I generally shift around 3500~4500 for "normal" driving, but around 5500~6500 for twisty

I've been playing with higher ranges and loving the power!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I generally shift around 3500~4500 for "normal" driving, but around 5500~6500 for twisty

I've been playing with higher ranges and loving the power!
There is a setting in the LC bikes which when activated tell you the best RPM to shift with an arrow pointing upward for upshift and downwards for a downshift

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a setting in the LC bikes which when activated tell you the best RPM to shift with an arrow pointing upward for upshift and downwards for a downshift
Yeah, but I find those shift points to be more fuel efficiency vs "fast"

Kam

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes those are for economy
Yes, very economical. As in upshift around 2500 which is more like a fast idle than a speed that delivers much usable power. I haven't looked for the setting to turn it off, just consider the arrow an occasional festive decoration of the gear position indicator.

I shift up when I don't need more power, and shift down when I do, or before it starts lugging. The only time I pay attention to the tach is in a local speed trap town, 3000 in 2nd is exactly 25 GPS MPH.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yes, very economical. As in upshift around 2500 which is more like a fast idle than a speed that delivers much usable power. I haven't looked for the setting to turn it off, just consider the arrow an occasional festive decoration of the gear position indicator.

I shift up when I don't need more power, and shift down when I do, or before it starts lugging. The only time I pay attention to the tach is in a local speed trap town, 3000 in 2nd is exactly 25 GPS MPH.
Rider2 when you go into the menu it comes up as ECOSFT.....you can have it on or off

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
609 Posts
I shift by ear ( sound of motor ) and MPH in each gear when casual highway/street riding.
1st 0 -20
2nd 20 - 30
3rd 35 -45
4th 45 - 55
5th to 6th anything above 55 mph.

Anything between 2800 - 4200 rpms is comfortable. Flatland riding is different than hill country.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I shift by ear ( sound of motor ) and MPH in each gear when casual highway/street riding.
1st 0 -20
2nd 20 - 30
3rd 35 -45
4th 45 - 55
5th to 6th anything above 55 mph.

Anything between 2800 - 4200 rpms is comfortable. Flatland riding is different than hill country.
I'm very similar. Once I am going faster than 20 mph, I generally find that the first digit of my speed (mph) is the same as my gear selection when in a relaxed riding environment. I have a TFT display. I've tried following the "eco shift" arrows and find the shift points unhelpful for most situations.

I am also generally in the 3000-4000 RPM band most of the time.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
609 Posts
I generally find that the first digit of my speed (mph) is the same as my gear selection when in a relaxed riding environment.

I am also generally in the 3000-4000 RPM band most of the time.
I do the same. Thought I was unique and weird. My hint to shift. My Garmin GPS and mount bracket semi block my tach and the speedo sort of replaces the shift point. :cool:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Actually shift by ear, like to feel the engine by body. Between stoplights about 3000 - next gear. When on a twisty roads, or mountain pass, need more power long time - about 4k or more, depends on twists and slopes. When climb the slope and have a turn, on 2nd gear may go to 4k or more. Anyway, dislike to burnout the engine with higher end of rpm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It all depends on traffic and road conditions. To get up to speed or with the flow of traffic I sometimes use higher revs. If there is no traffic or carry a passenger I take it easy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
agree with what has been said. Sometimes I use the first digit of my speed to equal the gear I should be in 20's second 30's third but it is all about your objective. The motor definitely likes to be above 2500 and usually above 3000 rpm's. Its more important the higher the gear. There are times I have forgotten to get into sixth and go for 20-30 minutes in 5th it runs so well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts