R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Put on the Shinkos 705 on the bike today, GSA Rallye 2018.
First impressions:
1) Felt realyyyyy weird when I rode off.....felt as if the bike had a mind of its own!
2) Seems the bike kinda sways
3) The hum which the bike had with the Anakees is gone.......
4) after about 30kms I started getting used to em......they turn very differently than the anakees

Will keep on updating reviews.
I had got these dirt cheap and hand carried them to India from USA

·
Registered
43 Posts
Same experience for me going from A3s to Shinko 705s on my GS LC. Really different / weird feeling initially and super quick turn in. Slippery too when new. After 100 to 150 miles I got used to them and have not looked back. May get about 4000 miles out of the rear. Good grip pushing hard in the twisties and way better off-road than the A3’s. I just got back from renting and riding 1780 miles in Alaska on a GS LC with brand new Shinko 705s and they worked great on the two-up ride to Arctic Circle.

Attachments

·
Registered
749 Posts
Tkc 70

I'm more than happy with 705, but a more neutral roll in would be desirable and I'm wondering what a TKC 70 front with 705 rear would be like?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So 200kms done now and they have started feeling better.
My friend showed me the shape of the tire and explained why it gives a feeling of falling in compared to the anakees!
Enjoying them as yet, cant go wrong with the price!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just put a set on my 2017GS last Friday, 6-1-18. Have about 250 miles on them so far.

They do feel very weird at first. There is also a bit of rumble. I notice it the most at 40 mph and again just before I stop, maybe 2 or 3 mph. It seems to go away at highway speeds tho. $198 for the pair delivered. :grin2:

So far I'm very impressed.

·
13 Posts
Finally installed

Had them installed yesterday (buying the tire spoons and a Marc Parnes balancer to do my own from here on out...) and YUP, felt weird once I left the shop! 200 miles of 50/50 pavement and gravel and the tires are scrubbed and feel great - only had one under-steer moment but they only had 10 miles on them at the time... My previous tires were worn out A3s, never had new rubber on gravel - AMAZING! It was incredible how these tires inspired confidence! I only ride as hard as my ability allows, and I know this bike and these tires can deliver a lot more than I'm asking for, but for me, it was terrific!
Tire noise is minimal and thanks to the tread, I always know when I'm traveling 38-42 mph without looking at the speedo because of the rumble, but that is of no concern.
I'm confident the front will last at least twice as long as the rear - and for $115, I'll be happy to swap it out in 4000 miles and keep riding. Great tire for me!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Love these tyres

I have a review of them elsewhere here. Don't know how to link to it. But it's in "tyres" , strangely...
Currently running Pirelli Scorpions because I couldn't get hold of a pair if 705s in time. Scorpions are very good on the road, but are really not for anything dirty.

·
13 Posts
To be honest with you, Greg, your in-depth review is the reason why I bought the tires. Had been vacillating between various brands and happened upon your thread and finalized my decision (the pricing of the tires had a bit of influence as well...). Thanks for the info, Greg!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ive tried the 804/805s

Felt great in the limited offroad i used them, but took them off (replaced with Scorpions as stated earlier) as they were inappropriate for the majority of my riding. As I'm really not any sort of offroad expert at all, Id leave it to others who know much more than I.
IMHO though, performed fairly admirably on sealed surfaces UNTIL things got wet, when the traction control woke from its usual slumber and howled in protest...
I'll put them on a spare set of rims if I can find a set that wont cost me my first-born...
glad I was of assistance!

cheers
Greg

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
524 Posts
Plenty of useful info and recommendations on here for the Shinkos. Enough to convince me to go for one on the front of my '05. The Michelin Anakee is actually bubbling/seperating internally. Competition Cycle Center in Dania, Fl sells these and offers while I wait install including balancing, $18 carry in, $35 ride in. For $17 difference they can have my money. Really nice shop.

https://www.compcyclecenter.com/

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just put a pair of 705s on this weekend. They are definitely different than the Anakee III. I came to the forum to validate the feeling I'm getting with these tires. Glad to see everyone experiencing the same with turn in and road feel. For me speeds under 15 mph are where it feels like the bike wants to fall over.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just put a pair of 705s on this weekend. They are definitely different than the Anakee III. I came to the forum to validate the feeling I'm getting with these tires. Glad to see everyone experiencing the same with turn in and road feel. For me speeds under 15 mph are where it feels like the bike wants to fall over.
Give it 200 miles and you will get used to it

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'll put them on a spare set of rims if I can find a set that wont cost me my first-born...
I just asked my Motorrad dealer about a set of the cast rims (I have the wire spoke rims) so I could do the road vs. off-road rims thing... $3600CAD!! I could just buy back my old FZ6 for that price.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I just asked my Motorrad dealer about a set of the cast rims (I have the wire spoke rims) so I could do the road vs. off-road rims thing... $3600CAD!! I could just buy back my old FZ6 for that price.
I just bought a new rim for $660 and getting it re-spoke and trued for $200. New front wheel is $1600 without rotors! Watch out for those potholes :frown2:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've run a lot of Shinko. 712's on the vintage Guzzi's. 777's and 244 on the DR650. 705's on the Quota and DL650 and just picked up another set of 705's for the 2007 GS for a Newfoundland/Labrador trip next month.

$143.00 total for a set 11/80-19 & 150/70-17 from 2wheel.com. I loves having my own tire changer!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts