R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I will be shipping my 2017 GS from San Francisco to Portugal soon. The moving company told me that I just should make sure that the tank is almost empty and that they would disconnect the battery while the bike is on the ship. The bike will be in the container for about 6 to 8 weeks.

What I am not sure about:
1) Will having the battery disconnected for several weeks have any consequences? Never tried that.
2) Is there anything else I should do to keep my baby healthy?

Thanks,
Gernot

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the cost for shipping? I've wanted to ship overseas, but could not find accurate prices.
That's hard to say. It goes along with all my household goods. Roughly estimated it is about 2.5k. No sales tax as long it is not stored by the moving company but insurance is relatively expensive. It adds 630 to the shipping costs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If things go accordingly. I will be shipping my 2017 GSA to Malaysia in a couple of years. Subscribing to this thread.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I left my battery connected to my '16 GSA, sans charger and went to Europe for 10 weeks. She started right up when I got home, OEM battery. Not likely you will have any problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I left my battery connected to my '16 GSA, sans charger and went to Europe for 10 weeks. She started right up when I got home, OEM battery. Not likely you will have any problem.
I would like to do that. The moving company will disconnect the battery, they told me. They say, it is a requirement from the shipper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No Issues

Just shipped my GS from Germany to Colorado in my household goods. Shipper also required disconnecting the battery and running the tank nearly dry. The shipment took about ten weeks. There were no issues when I reconnected the battery. The bike started right up and everything worked as before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Help needed - CO2 emission

Hi All,
Can someone tell me what a typical value for CO2 emission on an LC 2017 is?
Bike is on the ship, so no access to the emission sticker. Customs wants to know the CO2 emissions upfront.

So, just in case, someone ever wants to ship his bike to Portugal. It is a good idea to write down the value before shipping. :|

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hi All,
Bike is on the ship, so no access to the emission sticker. Customs wants to know the CO2 emissions upfront.

So, just in case, someone ever wants to ship his bike to Portugal. It is a good idea to write down the value before shipping. :|
Maybe look at California CO2 standards for motorcycles. BMW GS are 50 state compliant!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Me thinks you're mistaken about CO2. In California HC NOX and CO are regulated. CO is Carbon Monoxide, not Carbon Dioxide. Emissions of these substances are measured in grams per kilometer and varies according to engine displacement.

HC - unburned fuel
NOX - Oxides of Nitrogen
CO - Carbon Monoxide

I could be wrong about CO2 but someone else with better info can chime in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are right

Hi Crucian,
Thank you, you are absolutely right. Also in Europe they have no limits on CO2 for motorcycles. Unfortunately, Portuguese customs asks for it and there is no way to discuss that with them. They just seem to use the same form as for cars. Cars have CO2 limits in Europe. So, I needed to find out. According to the dealer in US, the CO2 is printed on the sticker.
However, I assumed 115g/km which is a value I found for the 2016 model. The 1250 has 110g/km according to the BMW website.

Gernot

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ignition problems, once

My friends shipped their three bikes from Anchorage to Montevideo (after riding to Prudhoe Bay from Brasil, 66k km) via sea. I went with them to Montevideo to pick up their bikes. One of the R1200GS's wouldn't start and we had to trailer it to a local dealer to figure out why. I think it had something to do with re-initializing the computer/ignition system. Anyhow, they fixed it in about an hour. My point is you should research the local dealers and have a plan in case you might help one upon arrival to pickup the bike and sort things out if there are issues.

PS: It took about a day to satisfy all the importing bureaucratic requirements; I think about 24 different offices had to sign off on it, as I recall. So, plan for all day at the port to get your bike.

Photos below of the stevedores getting the bikes out of their (Harley) crates. (I guess Harley crates were what was available in Anchorage. haha)

Boa viagem

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Unfortunately, Portuguese customs asks for it and there is no way to discuss that with them. They just seem to use the same form as for cars.
Ha! I hear you. I deal with Customs here on a weekly basis and in many cases blank boxes will not do but anything entered seems to work. Giving them a generic CO2 number that is below the limit should be just fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2017 GS Ralleye (along with my household goods) was shipped from El Paso to Germany with the battery disconnected. When it arrived I hooked up the battery and it started right up. The only thing I had to do was upload the european maps to my NAV VI and charge that up for a while. Everything is in working order except for that the weather is begining to turn. :grin2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

According to the EU certificate of conformity the CO2 emmision on a LC2017 is 115 gr/km

·
Registered
813 Posts
You might check at the Horizons Unlimited website for more info.

somewhat off topic...there is a feeling among "world travelers" that shipping by air is cost and time effective compared to shipping, when all aspects of boat shipping are considered...things like port fees, delays, among other things, plus your bike is there when you are.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I think Crucian is spot on. I have crossed lots of borders and customs officials are uber bureaucrats the world over. Give the officials a CO2 value within reason and that will tick the box. There won't be anyone standing there with a testing device to verify your information, they just want the tax money.

Reactions: Southpaw

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It's Done

Thanks all you guys for the help. It's done. Bike is in my garage here in Portugal.
The engine started immediately at the first attempt. I think, they did not disconnect the battery for the crossing, but not 100% sure.

For people who are thinking about importing to Portugal from outside the EU. It is a horrible nightmare. Still don't have all the documents to get the bike legalised here. Customs withheld the title for unknown reason. But at least I have the bike and it seems to be ok.

Best,
Gernot

·
Registered
813 Posts
to continue the OT...it is reported that a LOT of the hassle and headache is eliminated by shipping by air. No first hand experience, but that method should definitely be investigated by those in the market.

good luck with the bureaucracy and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
369 Posts
it is reported that a LOT of the hassle and headache is eliminated by shipping by air.
"Down Here" anything and everything arriving Ocean Freight is subject to Customs Clearance and 6% duty if not manufactured in US, even if it was shipped from US and initial duty paid? That includes Air Freight and if it's a motor vehicle you're in a whole new league including duty, proof of ownership issues and submitting the title to the local authorities prior to clearance. I can't speak for EU but whatever issues one encounters with merchandise, you can generally count on five more steps if it has rubber tires?

The only positive light I can shine on this is that generally Air Freight forwarding agents are more proactive than Ocean forwarders but one rewards them handsomely for the service and all the other issues still apply.

Ocean containers "cans" are taking up to ten days here to even begin the process, awaiting Customs inspection. Grrrrrrrr.......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts