R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking into getting a good pair of aftermarket shocks (i don't have esa). How hard it is to switch them over on this bike ? Can't seem to find clear DIY guides for the LC.

Whilst in the process of doing so, is there something else I consider doing ?

Thanks
Tony

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JVB has a PDF of an Ohlins install on an earlier GS that should give you a good starting point. If you've a water-cooled machine, the tank and air box have to come off.

Mike
Ah yes well spotted. This will help, has some good points and clear pictures, a good start even if the LC may be a little more complicated. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking to lower my 2005 1200GS by 2 inches so my wife will ride and be happy while I ride my brand new 2018 1200 GS Rallye. The 2005 is almost worn out so I want a cheap solution - I heard old RT shocks might do the trick but can not find more about that. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Awesom Person
530 Posts
I am looking to lower my 2005 1200GS by 2 inches so my wife will ride and be happy while I ride my brand new 2018 1200 GS Rallye. The 2005 is almost worn out so I want a cheap solution - I heard old RT shocks might do the trick but can not find more about that. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I would get my wife a new 2018 leftover bike lowered from the factory. Then in a year or two get a new one for me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I'll answer my own question. Regarding NON-ESA bikes:

REAR SHOCK : contrary to what the service manual says, one does not need to take half the back end apart and vertically swing the arm upwards. Simply unscrew the shock absorber black plastic protection (to remove it), make sure the weight is off the wheel, but the wheel nevertheless held up using a piece of wood, and unscrew both bolts (boy are they tight. Some heat may help break the thread lock, be careful on the top bolt though, you are close to some plastics). The shock absorber can be manoeuvred and removed from the side, and new one reinserted the same way. Literaly a 15min job.

FRONT SHOCK : no need either to remove the fuel tank and airbox. Simply remove the screws from both, and, with an empty tank, push it back, along with the airbox. The couple of inches of give are more than enough to access the shock absorber top bolt. It's more work than the rear, still need to remove the sides etc, but didn't have to remove/damage those special rings (oetinger clips) that hold the air admission rubber tubes.

All in all, a lot simpler than what the BMW service data thingy was mentionning. Probably a different matter with an ESA bike though.

·
Senile Member on 2006 GS
263 Posts
In the immortal words of Rocket J. Squirrel, "but that trick never works!" Wives do not take well to being given second-hand motorcycles. Or perhaps more accurately, the universe does not take well to giving your wife a hand-me-down bike.

Little story from 30-some years ago: a couple weeks before I got married, I bought one of the very first of the new aluminum Evolution Harley Sportsters. The plan for the honeymoon was that I would ride this new bike, and my bride would ride my two-year-old iron-head Sporty on a big tour up through Michigan, Ontario, New York, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio and Indiana. After hitting light rain on the first day, she suggested it was a bit unfair that she was hauling all our gear (the Evo was so new it didn't yet have a luggage rack), and I agreed to alternate. Over the next eight days, we had beautiful sunshine every other day, and rain every other day. Naturally, the sunshine was on the days when she was riding the new bike. On the very last day of the trip (my turn to ride the new bike), about 100 miles from home, I saw the clouds stacking up. At the last gas stop, I suggested we switch. Clouds moved out of our path and rained on downtown Chicago instead. When we got home, I handed her the keys and said, "powers greater than mine want this to be your bike."

So be careful... lower that '05, and watch--some fluke of fate will have her riding the new GS...

BTW, lowering an '05 may be harder than it looks--used parts listings at Beemer Boneyard indicate the lowering kit (shocks, side stand, center stand) for '05-early '06 is different from later models and might be very hard to obtain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts