R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search and found lots of shock replacement threads, nothing on springs only.
My question is: Can you replace just the springs on BMW OEM shocks front and rear?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'd call EMP in NJ. They rework and spring to suit "non-rebuildable" OEM shocks.

Klaus Huenecke – Owner
Phone : 732-786-9777

Gleaned from their site:

ESA shocks
We can rebuild ALL BMW ESA shocks – even though your dealer says they are not rebuildable. We can also shorten OEM ESA shocks for a lower ride height and we can supply new springs (Hyperpro progressive springs) for the OEM ESA shocks.
New ESA shocks are available from us, as Hyperpro ESA Hybrid or Wilbers WESA shocks. If the servo drive in your ESA shock no longer functions properly, we are able to replacement the servo drive at $355.00 each with installation included. We able to test all ESA servo drive functions and always test all of our customer’s ESA systems when the shocks are sent in for a service or transfer of the ESA components into a new Hyperpro ESA Hybrid or Wilbers WESA shock.
We have extensive knowledge of shock absorbers including motorcycle mono, twin, emulsion, reservoir, fully adjustable, hydraulic shocks, and shocks from OEM brands such as KYB, Showa, Marzocchi, our Hyperpro and Wilbers shocks, as well as their competitors. We cannot be outdone in our service by any competitor in the world of performance motorcycle shocks. Give us a try and we are sure you will not be disappointed!

·
Registered
79 Posts
You could also try these guys north of San Diego:

I have no direct experience with them but they were mentioned positively in another forum.

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it's probably something I shouldn't do in my garage? Sounds a little more complicated than just swapping springs?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
So it's probably something I shouldn't do in my garage? Sounds a little more complicated than just swapping springs?
With the proper spring compressor its easily a home project that only takes a few minutes to do. Be forewarned the process is simple but there is an inherent danger in this. A compressed spring contains a lot of energy just waiting to be released.

I posted EPM not as the people to change them but that they do have springs for OEM BMW shocks so you can change your own.

I have these and they work well on smaller springs on HD rear springs they are a bit unnerving.

Product Rectangle Font Material property Wood

I'm too cheap to invest in somthgin better and safer. Hopefully I never have to wish I;d have made the investment in something like this:

Gas Electric blue Composite material Font Automotive wheel system

·
Survivor
864 Posts
I did Spousal Unit’s F800GS in my shop. Took about 15 minutes and ten of those were spent rigging it up. Not my picture, but shows how I did it

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I called BeemerShop and talked to Ted Porter.
He convinced me that I am not in need of a new rear shock or spring unless the shock itself is bad, which I don't think it is.
At my weight and loadouts the current rear shock/spring is right for me.
However, he was amazed that at my mileage, 54K, that I haven't had any front shock issues and advised me not to go to far from home on my bike?
Said he sells front shocks 2 to 1 compared to rear.
Has anyone heard of this front shock issue? I do believe it is with WC models,

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've also talked to a few ADV school/ touring folks and asked about the shock upgrade or failure issues associated with WC models, mine being a 2016 GSA and from all I have been told that failure is a real thing but it did not warrant getting new ones till the OEMs fail. Main thought behind this is the fact that some brake and some don't. It might be the build or the rider and conditions the bike is used under. With the suspension set up on mine the unnecessary replacement cost is pointless until failure and OEM are supposedly not rebuildable... after market shock might have issues integrating into the self leveling and suspension features available from OEM shock sets. On a side note I did run into a rider whos front shock was evidently failing, he was hearing noise on compression of the front shock and had a leak in the shock seal. The bike still worked, just maid a rattling sound, my guess is the absents of oil was allowing the valves or springs to.... rattle? The travel and handling remained the same on the road he claimed, just a bit springy in the rougher stuff.... still he got to the rally and back home just fine.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Yes, if the seal fails the bike will still "work" that's not a catastrophic failure. All the fluid can leak out the seal head can disintegrate and the bike will pogo but will still "work". A leaking seal is the 1st indication you are on borrowed time.

If you are inclined to change out your suspension for something more suited towards you riding style and/or weight shopping for it when you existing suspension is operational can save you some money and downtime. Kind of like looking for a new job when you have an existing job. You can pick and choose with no pressure to pick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts