R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've also talked to a few ADV school/ touring folks and asked about the shock upgrade or failure issues associated with WC models, mine being a 2016 GSA and from all I have been told that failure is a real thing but it did not warrant getting new ones till the OEMs fail. Main thought behind this is the fact that some brake and some don't. It might be the build or the rider and conditions the bike is used under. With the suspension set up on mine the unnecessary replacement cost is pointless until failure and OEM are supposedly not rebuildable... after market shock might have issues integrating into the self leveling and suspension features available from OEM shock sets. On a side note I did run into a rider whos front shock was evidently failing, he was hearing noise on compression of the front shock and had a leak in the shock seal. The bike still worked, just maid a rattling sound, my guess is the absents of oil was allowing the valves or springs to.... rattle? The travel and handling remained the same on the road he claimed, just a bit springy in the rougher stuff.... still he got to the rally and back home just fine.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts