R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been looking at helmets and coms and thanks for all the helpful stuff on this forum, but I was hoping someone with the Neotech 2 and SRL specifically could provide some first hand feedback on this combination.

First off, let me say that I have a Shoei GT Air (5 years old) and love it. I use the Interphone Com system and they are both fantastic. Both are now a little aged (not unlike me), but they work well.

The helmet is quiet, comfortable and the com system (although it mounts on the outside) is well integrated. The unit is easy to use, the speakers are loud and the microphone works well. Even at highway speeds with ear plugs in, my wife and I (she has same setup on her bike) can talk to each other.
The sound has reduced base tones which improves clarity at speed but does sound less natural, and we don't tend to listen to music. The GPS instructions are also fine. The microphone is a wire type adhered to the inside of the chin bar (not boom type).

So, to my questions about the Neotech 2 and SRL.

1. For a modular helmet, the usual approach seems to be a boom mic, although Schuberth seem to do it with concealed mics. How does the boom mic go on the Neotech when opening and closing the front of the helmet or taking it on and off? Does it strike the chin curtain each time? Does it sit too close to mouth/lips? Does it get annoying and is it in the way all the time?

2. Is the volume control and output loud enough to head clearly at highway speeds with ear plugs in? We use custom moulded plugs with attenuators (musicians plugs) so we do have good noise suppression without blocking all sound, but I have heard comments saying the volume is not able to be set very high. Having said this, I was reading the user guide for the SRL and it suggests there are a number of auto and semi auto settings for volume and noise cancelling, as well as individual volume settings for intercom, music, nav etc. so this may be user error coming through.

3. What is the battery life on the SRL like? They claim 10 hours, but I never believe the claims for battery life or distance from coms suppliers. My concern is, that unlike the coms on the Schuberth C4, this one doesn't allow you to swap over a battery (it's fixed into the unit), so when it's run out, you are stuck. It also suggests that it can't be charged and used at the same time.

3. Is the microphone component hard wired into the system or does it plug into the chain? Damaging a mic, particularly a boom mic, is not unheard of, and not being able to replace it easily may be an issue. More importantly, I see that Sena (although they don't recommend it) have said that with other types of their coms units, you can place a small mic up in the foam padding around the brow if you prefer not having a mic at the front of the helmet.
Not that they recommend it, but they specifically talk about it in one of their "tips and trick" videos.

4. And finally, but probably not a question so much, is buying a helmet and integrated coms system such a smart idea? All eggs in one basket issue. The helmet is no doubt great, but if the coms unit is not so great, we are locked in and fitting an external coms unit is probably not going to work.

So, anyone have this set up, used it for some time, uses ear plugs, and can provide some first hand feedback on it all?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. :wink2:

·
Super Awesom Person
439 Posts
I have the Neotech 2 with the SRL and like both very much. It is a very comfortable helmet for my head. The SRL does have a boom mic and it does get in the way a bit when I open and close the front however I rarely open and close the front but when I do it isn't a big deal. Just move it a bit towards your lips before opening. The volume control and output IS loud enough to be head clearly at highway speeds with ear plugs in and I also use standard custom molded plugs. I THINK I'm getting around 10 hours of battery life but I haven't gone on any long trips yet and I haven't tried charging while riding. I do listen to music while I ride and am happy so far with the battery life. The microphone IS hardwired to the system but the way it mounts into the helmet I don't think it's going to be a problem. Lastly I like the way it integrates into the helmet. A very clean well designed system and I would buy it again. The helmet alone is outstanding and the SRL makes it that much better.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Question 1 - Yeah, the boom does get bumped when lifting the chin bar. Now I imagine one's face shape if the boom is too close to their face. For me, if I put the boom where it doesn't get bumped by the chin bar, i can touch the boom mic with my lips. But for me it's kinda moot point as I ride with a "hydration pack". Pushing the drinking tube into the helmet does move the mic around. BUT never so far out of whack if I talk to someone they can't hear me.

Question 2 - Can't answer, I don't wear earplugs when I ride. Without earplugs, plenty loud that I have to turn the volume down on either my Iphone or Sena...

Question 3- Hmmm never really measured the time, but a 10 hour day used intermittently it never died. I don't listen to music or have the GPS hooked up to the headset, so YMMV..

Question 4 - Yes the boom mic is easily replaceable. It just clips in...

Question 5 - I hear ya, I've got a Sena 20s and I like that I could move it between my different helmets. Knowing what the SENA 20s was like and how it performed I had no reservations buying a dedicated system. The way it integrated into the helmet was actually one of the biggest reasons I bought the Neotec II and SRL combo.

With all that said, I bought my Neotec and SRL when it was first available. There were some problems early on with the SRL units delivered. Many had problems. I know this as mine did too. Mine would not be recognized by any of my computers when plugged in to upgrade firmware. Mac, PC, laptops, no joy. I went on the Sena site and there were a boat load of complaints about the SRL on their forums. Nothing in their forums or online chat helped. It was horrible. I finally called and phone support was horrendous. All they did was read some script that did nothing to address or solve my problem. Sena wanted me to send the unit in.

Well thankfully I bought my helmet and Sena at a locally owned/run shop. I took it back to them and they checked it out and found the SRL to be defective. They replaced it right there on the spot, put it all back together and we tested it out. This second unit worked correctly. They told me of the 6 SRL units they received, half of them had to go back for various reasons.

I've not had any issues since, everything works well including firmware updates. Every so often I will get alerts from Sena's forum regarding similar issues I had. I wouldn't hesitate buying it again, but I'd make darn sure it works before I left....

Hi all,

I've been looking at helmets and coms and thanks for all the helpful stuff on this forum, but I was hoping someone with the Neotech 2 and SRL specifically could provide some first hand feedback on this combination.

First off, let me say that I have a Shoei GT Air (5 years old) and love it. I use the Interphone Com system and they are both fantastic. Both are now a little aged (not unlike me), but they work well.

The helmet is quiet, comfortable and the com system (although it mounts on the outside) is well integrated. The unit is easy to use, the speakers are loud and the microphone works well. Even at highway speeds with ear plugs in, my wife and I (she has same setup on her bike) can talk to each other.
The sound has reduced base tones which improves clarity at speed but does sound less natural, and we don't tend to listen to music. The GPS instructions are also fine. The microphone is a wire type adhered to the inside of the chin bar (not boom type).

So, to my questions about the Neotech 2 and SRL.

1. For a modular helmet, the usual approach seems to be a boom mic, although Schuberth seem to do it with concealed mics. How does the boom mic go on the Neotech when opening and closing the front of the helmet or taking it on and off? Does it strike the chin curtain each time? Does it sit too close to mouth/lips? Does it get annoying and is it in the way all the time?

2. Is the volume control and output loud enough to head clearly at highway speeds with ear plugs in? We use custom moulded plugs with attenuators (musicians plugs) so we do have good noise suppression without blocking all sound, but I have heard comments saying the volume is not able to be set very high. Having said this, I was reading the user guide for the SRL and it suggests there are a number of auto and semi auto settings for volume and noise cancelling, as well as individual volume settings for intercom, music, nav etc. so this may be user error coming through.

3. What is the battery life on the SRL like? They claim 10 hours, but I never believe the claims for battery life or distance from coms suppliers. My concern is, that unlike the coms on the Schuberth C4, this one doesn't allow you to swap over a battery (it's fixed into the unit), so when it's run out, you are stuck. It also suggests that it can't be charged and used at the same time.

3. Is the microphone component hard wired into the system or does it plug into the chain? Damaging a mic, particularly a boom mic, is not unheard of, and not being able to replace it easily may be an issue. More importantly, I see that Sena (although they don't recommend it) have said that with other types of their coms units, you can place a small mic up in the foam padding around the brow if you prefer not having a mic at the front of the helmet.
Not that they recommend it, but they specifically talk about it in one of their "tips and trick" videos.

4. And finally, but probably not a question so much, is buying a helmet and integrated coms system such a smart idea? All eggs in one basket issue. The helmet is no doubt great, but if the coms unit is not so great, we are locked in and fitting an external coms unit is probably not going to work.

So, anyone have this set up, used it for some time, uses ear plugs, and can provide some first hand feedback on it all?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. :wink2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
My wife and I each have the Neotech 2 and SRL.

The intercom really works pretty darn good. It is line-of-sight, but I think over half a mile range for sure, maybe 3/4's of a mile in clear country. Intercom sound quality is very good and we have adequate volume. Don't have interference or humms or buzz. Batteries will run the SRL all day long, I don't think we've run out of juice yet. Boom mic does not create noise(usually) even when the lower chin cover is up. Intercom rating A.

The problems occur when you add other sound sources. We've had no problems pairing our phones, BMW Nav 6, Sena analog to bluetooth(forgot the name, SM-10?). Pairs very easy. A

The MAJOR problem is music sound levels. The sound will not cover noise at 60 MPH. Ear plugs or not, just not enough volume. It is the speakers I'm pretty sure. See youtube for guys swapping out Sena Speakers for $15 panasonic headphone speakers with stated amazing success - both volume and fidelity. $15 frigging dollar headphones....unbelievable...the Sena was $300 each. You'd think they could allow for a little better speakers...

Music sound levels rate a D-

We came from UClear. I don't think the Sena provided much improvement. UClear plays music better.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great feedback - thanks everyone.

I'm sort of hoping I can hold off until mid 2019 before making a move and by then there may be an updated version of the SRL.

Schuberth C4 Pro with their integrated coms is the only contender and I'm just not in love with the helmet. It sounds "brittle" when you tap on it. Not that it is actually brittle but it just sounds thin - egg shell like.
Also, the chin strap just felt wrong, but that was the standard C4 not the new Pro.

More investigation and testing in the new year.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts