R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is another post. I don’t have a local dealer and I have to fly to get my bike. They have a short in stock and a reg in 2 week. I’m 5’10 inseam 31-32. I been riding bikes my whole life and have raced MX. I also am a pro mountain bike rider. I’m new to adventure bikes. Most of my riding will be on road, some off-road. Not sure how crazy off road I will be doing since I’m in the north east. Any suggestions would be helpful. I wish I could try both bikes out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you off road, then standard. If you have to have both feet planted, then short (Lowered). I'm 5-11 and inseam is 31, I ride a standard. If I want to have better stability with both feet down more, I put the ESA to MIN. I rode the entire MABDR in MIN or when things got interesting, Enduro Pro which put the bike in a little taller height then Auto.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm an inch taller than you
I know this is another post. I don’t have a local dealer and I have to fly to get my bike. They have a short in stock and a reg in 2 week. I’m 5’10 inseam 31-32. I been riding bikes my whole life and have raced MX. I also am a pro mountain bike rider. I’m new to adventure bikes. Most of my riding will be on road, some off-road. Not sure how crazy off road I will be doing since I’m in the north east. Any suggestions would be helpful. I wish I could try both bikes out.
I'm a inch taller and have the regular height '18 GS1200 GSA. The standard ride height is fine in both auto and max modes. If I'm stuck in traffic, I sometimes put it in min mode and have both feet flat on the ground. The bike rides well with no ground reach issues in auto or max even without the top box and panniers. There is a slight 'butt shift' needed for flatfoot at stoplights in max but that's an easy mussel memory to learn.

Remember that with the lowered version you are will not be able to add the inside left hand small tool box behind the pannier. Some riders have mentioned the lowered version to be somewhat limited in load carriage and feels squatty or the back end waddles with an overland loadout or 2-up riding.

Best recommendation I hear is to look at a lowered seat rather than the lowered suspension. The seat lowering is reversible if you don't like it, the lowered suspension is not something that cannot be modified but is very difficult and expensive. I've heard some dealers will preplace a lowered suspension with a standard one but there is a significant cost to the parts and work at the shop.

Talk to Sargent seats in Jacksonville, FL if you want a good lowered seat.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You lose an inch of travel (or slightly more) in the suspension between standard and lowered. I'm 5'8" and hate to do the butt shift, so a lowered GSA it was. The difference in ride is noticeable though but not unbearable.

·
Registered
199 Posts
(I have a lowered 2017 R1200GS, and find it perfect for me, as I am 5'6".) I think at 5'10" you'd be happiest with the full-sized bike; however, it nevertheless may still be a little tall for you, but probably better than the lowered one for you. I have access to a full-sized 2015 GSA and the pegs are about 4" higher than on my lowered version--its really tall--and its owner stands on one peg while on the side stand to get on it. It's owner is about 5'10" and I think it is a little tall for him; nevertheless, still better for someone of that moderate size than the lowered one. If you were to get a lowered version, you'd probably have the seat jacked up all the way, which may be more comfortable than a low seat. One problem with the lowered seats is they scrunch your feet and legs closer to your hiney, so lowered seats bring their own comfort problems. I have--and need--a lowered seat, but find it a bit uncomfortable.

The reason I own an R1200GS is wholly because could get it in a factory-lowered version. I bottom out the shocks about once a year, not too hard, barely noticeable. I don't consider the shorter shock travel much of a problem on the lowered version

·
Registered
30 Posts
5’8” with a 30 in inseam and I ride the standard 1250 GSA with lowered seat option in the high position. I just one foot it down and dont think twice about it now. If I have to have both feet down I am on my toes, but that is a rarity. In my opinion, the bike balances so well at stop that I don’t miss being flat foot. Good Luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm 5' 6" and 30" inseam. I sat on a 2022 low suspension GSA and it would've probably been ok but I was on tip toes. But given the GSA's lower CG compared to my Vstrom, it would've been ok (esp. with practice, etc.). I understand there's a lower seat you can buy and that would've made it even better.

However, I went with a low suspension 2022 GS (standard seat and in the low position) and am really glad I did esp. when I walk my bike backwards into a parking spot or other interesting situations.

Dennis

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well….. mine is a ‘22 standard GSA with standard seat in low position, i don’t do any off tarmac riding & i’m balls of my feet both sides or a seat slide to one side & i’m only around 5’7” with a 28 in seam, as other threads have said its about having a system that works for you

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well….. mine is a ‘22 standard GSA with standard seat in low position, i don’t do any off tarmac riding & i’m balls of my feet both sides or a seat slide to one side & i’m only around 5’7” with a 28 in seam, as other threads have said its about having a system that works for you
Get yourself a pair of thick-soled boots (like Sidi Adventure 2's) and set your suspension to the "min" position (this is done with the left handlebar buttons). The bike will stay in Min until you change it to something different (Min-Auto-Max).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a factory lowered GS. Got a great deal on it used so figured it would be fine. The only complaint I had was the low seat, which felt like they made it shorter just by taking padding out of it. Swapped that out with a Bill Meyer and it’s perfect. A standard seat goes on the lowered model without modification.

I’ve since ridden extensively on standard height GSs and I have to say that for tarmac riding, the lowered bike is a bit better in the corners due to the slightly lower center of gravity. I like the lowered suspension / standard seat so much that I would consider replacing with the same setup next time I decide to upgrade. I’m 6’ and am comfortable on the standard bike. Can flat foot both of them. Height isn’t the issue. I just like how the lowered suspension rides on the road.

·
Registered
r1200r, ktm 1290
8 Posts
I'm 5'9" with a 32-33" inseam and about 172lbs. I agonized over this. Test rode a low and a regular. Sat on a few HP and GSA models. I bought a regular suspension GS and it's just right for me. I wouldn't like to give up suspension travel (may have to if I had gone for the GSA as that is higher and a bit bulkier/heavier). I can flat foot this bike. That is not a need (coming from a KTM super adv) but it's nice around town and when you're running errands with multiple reverse parks and often carrying a passenger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts