R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here I am a new member, with a new member type question.

I have been offered a good deal on a KTM Superadventure 1290 S, I can get it fully configured, no luggage for a cost of change of £2400, thats against a 2016 GS Adventure TE. The thing is I have had loads of BMW's and genuinly thought this would be a keeper, but then I thought the same of my tripple black.

Has anyone got experiance of the KTM?

Thanks

Dwain

·
Super Awesom Person
470 Posts
Doing the maintenance on a KTM can be a pain. Just changing the oil on my sons 690Duke is horrible. I don't know how it is on the bike you want but I would look at a utube video on how to change the oil on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did the swap in 2017 and changed back to a GS in 2019.
The KTM is faster and makes a nicer noise than the BMW but doesn’t ride as well.
The centre of gravity is high and it feels much more cumbersome than the -heavier- GS.
My wife kind of hated its high passenger perch and the wobbliness when standing still.
So I switched back to a GS and never regretted this final decision.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is it me or are most KTMs pig ugly. KTM come from a off road competition background and it shows in most of their designs which I don't personally like. Plus they don't have a shaft drive which is also a negative for a tourer.

A few years ago I bought a Triumph Tiger Sport (n/a in the US) which had telescopic forks and a chain.
Although the bike was quicker in theory than my present 1200 twin cam it could not handle the poor UK roads I ride on anywhere near as good as the beemer, which actually makes it the quicker bike A to B.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It is not as if the GS is a catwalk model... beauty is in the eye etc....
I thought my KTM 1290 SAS was a looker (perhaps not the headlamp) in orange and white but once again : de gustibus coloribusque non disputandum...

·
Registered
165 Posts
KTM have an annoying habit of giving massive discounts on unsold models in the autumn which must piss off those that bought in the spring.

Having said that I am tempted to buy a new KTM 390 Adventure when it becomes available soon, to replace my ageing Honda CRF250L, as my second bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your remark is correct... I was also royally pissed when my KTM dealer only offered less than half the amount of what I had paid for a bike 10 months before which was still in -literally- showroom condition and had a mere 8.500 KMS on the clock.

That being said, I exchanged my own HONDA CRF 250L back in 2015 for a KTM 690 ENDURO R ABS which has very satisfying power and handling without gaining too much weight vs. the light but severely underpowered HONDA.
This 690 was recently renewed by KTM and appears to have become even better than mine (which serves as my second bike).

·
Registered
627 Posts
Is it me or are most KTMs pig ugly.
Does anyone think a 1200GS(A) is attractive?

Looks like a bug.

These bikes are all ugly as home-made sin but it's what they can do that makes them so functionally attractive.

My daughter thinks my Super Duke looks like a Decepticon:

I told her "Naaa, Decepticons have red eyes." She replied, "Dad, that's why they call them Decepticons. They fool you into thinking that they are useful and then they kill you."

She might have a point.

Anywho, the KTM is an awesome bike with much more power if road trips and street riding is your thing and not so much off-roading. I've owned my Super Duke since May of 2016 and have had zero problems with it.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Looks like a bug.

These bikes are all ugly as home-made sin but it's what they can do that makes them so functionally attractive.

I told her "Naaa, Decepticons have red eyes." She replied, "Dad, that's why they call them Decepticons. They fool you into thinking that they are useful and then they kill you."

She might have a point.

Anywho, the KTM is an awesome bike with much more power if road trips and street riding is your thing and not so much off-roading. I've owned my Super Duke since May of 2016 and have had zero problems with it.
I like the look of my GS.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts

Looks like a bug.

She might have a point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As the owner of a 2009 R1200GS i feel qualified to say that the "designers" of it and it's ilk,..I.E. the K.T. M. Duke,Africa twin etc. should be executed before they do any more damage. Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder, BUT ugly is just ugly.

·
Registered
627 Posts
When I said that the KTM 1290 Super Adventure was great for a road bike, I was talking about the 1290 SA. They make some awesome ADV/dual sport/dirt bikes that have a lot of off-road red.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it me or are most KTMs pig ugly. KTM come from a off road competition background and it shows in most of their designs which I don't personally like. Plus they don't have a shaft drive which is also a negative for a tourer.

A few years ago I bought a Triumph Tiger Sport (n/a in the US) which had telescopic forks and a chain.
Although the bike was quicker in theory than my present 1200 twin cam it could not handle the poor UK roads I ride on anywhere near as good as the beemer, which actually makes it the quicker bike A to B.

You pays your money and takes your choice.
yes, pig ugly!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts