R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I currently ride a 2017 GS1200 Rallye non-adventure and really like the bike.
Saw a 2022 1250 Rallye, non-adventure with black wheels (not the gold) and am thinking about upgrading.
Might sell or trade my Kawasaki H2 SX SE sport tourer to get it and just have the BMW for sport-touring duty.

Looking for some sage advice from someone who has owned both to give an honest opinion of any improvements or differences and if they thought it was worth it.

Any specs or rumors of changes coming for 2023's and when those new bikes might arrive?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I think you would like it. I bought a 2021 GS1250 after many years on an FJR, it's finally got enough power for me. I test rode a 2018 but it didn't quite have it, so chose a Tiger 1200, but the 1250 did. My only concern is the height but time will tell.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you would like it. I bought a 2021 GS1250 after many years on an FJR, it's finally got enough power for me. I test rode a 2018 but it didn't quite have it, so chose a Tiger 1200, but the 1250 did. My only concern is the height but time will tell.
That is good to know about your comparison coming off a FJR.
The 1250 Rallye I saw has sport suspension, and I think that is taller than standard suspension which is what I have on my 2017 Rallye.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Keep your 17 and upgrade to a new 2023 100 anniversary model when they come out.
buying a R1250 now might be a mistake. Don’t get me wrong…they are good but wait until the new one comes out and if you still want a R1250 then get a secondhand one.

·
Registered
333 Posts
In own both types .
I am not happier on my 2020 R1250GS than on my 2017 R1200GS LC , but this won’t be of any influence to you : once you’ve set your mind on a new bike , you‘ll only be happy when you’ve bought it …

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used to have an ST1100, before going to smaller lighter and faster bikes. Then my knees started complaining so I went to a couple different adventure bikes.

I bought the 2022 r1250gs Ralleye with sport suspension in February. i just turned over 9,000 miles on it and I absolutely love it. It makes a great sport touring bike, touring bike, light to moderate off road bike. It does it all really well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Keep your 17 and upgrade to a new 2023 100 anniversary model when they come out.
buying a R1250 now might be a mistake. Don’t get me wrong…they are good but wait until the new one comes out and if you still want a R1250 then get a secondhand one.
My view is that the current 2022 version would be the one to get vs. waiting for the updated 2023 model. I am hearing that the 2023 models might be a significant update and I am not fond of buying the first model year of any major updates.

The last year of any run is typically the most reliable.... typically.... YMMV.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it.
I ended up buying a new 2022 Rallye and am breaking it in.
Just as Slikmoto says " once you’ve set your mind on a new bike , you‘ll only be happy when you’ve bought it …" LOL
Now I have to list my 2017 Rallye for sale as it is not getting ridden!
Check the for-sale pages if you know of anyone interested...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it.
I ended up buying a new 2022 Rallye and am breaking it in.
Just as Slikmoto says " once you’ve set your mind on a new bike , you‘ll only be happy when you’ve bought it …" LOL
Now I have to list my 2017 Rallye for sale as it is not getting ridden!
Check the for-sale pages if you know of anyone interested...
Congrats! Post a pic of your new ride when you have a moment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts