R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently relocated to east Tennessee.....Maryville to be specific. I have a '20 GSA currently with the stock Bridgestone Battlax ADV tires.

I'm looking for folks to ride with here that know the good roads. I ride with my wife as a passenger almost exclusively and we ride on & off road. Looking for forest service roads and curvy bits and weekend riders since we work during the week. I already know about Cherohala Skyway, Foothills Pkwy and obviously Tail of the Dragon and have ridden those a bit too much perhaps. I'm looking for backroads and FS type roads. Thought I'd shout out before I buy USFS maps and piece some stuff together myself.

- Any takers?
- Recommendations for groups in the east TN area?

I can absolutely meet up in other areas close by. I'm really trying to find folks that are super local and who can meet up within a 50 mile radius from Maryville. I'm from North Georgia so I know the roads down there and also belong to two Meetup dualsport groups.......one here in Knoxville & one in North Georgia.

Hope to see some good replies and meet some east Tennessee folks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did try the local BMW shop here in Alcoa, TN. No luck there honestly. I was hoping for an active group there. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Its tricky to find like minded riders. When you do hold onto them. I've attended a few open invitation rides and they turned out to be not my cut of tea. One ride we were about 50 minutes late for stands up then had to stop every 18 miles for a smoke and talk about he ride we just did. After the 3rd stop they were talking about where to go for lunch. I pared off and never looked back.

Another time was with a co-worker. We rode 5 miles to the 1st bar. The group had drinks (not me I drink after the helmet is put away) then we loaded up and rode 8 miles to the next bar. After that bar we rode a 1 to the next bar. Again after the 3rd stop and less than 25 miles and 2 hours later I pared off.

About 6 years ago I stumbled onto a group of guys that turned into great friends. We enjoy or at least tolerate the same style/pace of riding and enjoy traveling together. I'm very lucky to have crossed patch with these guys.

We actually befriended a group of fellers from Johnson City TN. They were on their way back from Maine and one of the guys broke down. A buddy and I got them fixed up and he put them up for a night. The next spring they invited us down and while we were skeptical it turned out its like we rode together all our lives. Great group of guy that we vistit several times a year.

Funny how things work out.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some good points from PerazziMx14 above!!

So I like to ride 200-400 mile days. Starting out early-mid morning and returning by mid evening which is usually ~280-340 miles for my riding pace. I don't stop other than for gas and lunch typically & not so much for gas on the GSA. Not a big picture taker but certainly can stop to appreciate the scenery or grab a drink/snack. The takeaway is that I like to ride the bike and see new scenery. Meeting folks is just the icing on the cake. I will ride to destination towns for lunch but only for ~1 to maybe 1.5 hrs total stoppage time.....then back on the bike.

Hope this helps anyone who is thinking about responding here to ride!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum!

LOL....not good. I actually was glad to see someone post here!

I did meet a few folks here in Maryville that ride pretty often on Goldwings and really a mix of pure onroad bikes. I like to mix in dirt roads when I can.

Where are you located in TN?

·
Administrator
1,252 Posts
I usually get down that way once a year or so and stay in Murphy NC with a friend when I do. He's lived in Western NC for a dozen years and knows every great bit of road there. We'll roam down in to N. Georgia as far as Suches or Blairsville and the Richard B Russel Pkwy; east as far as Highlands; north to Tellico/Robbinsville and there's so many great roads to ride in that box that w never get much farther away other than coming and going from the area.

The best riding in the country is just a few minutes south of you - envious,

Reactions: EastTNHomegrown
1 - 8 of 8 Posts