R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many do their own changing, but if you are not doing that, I just wanted to share a repeated good experience in tire buying at CycleGear.
I am not affiliated at all except as a customer.
Twice now I have bought my tires from them and had them install.
The prices they have are like Revzilla's...IOW good prices, but where they really excel is on installation.
Buying from them they will install at $25/tire. Yes, $25 per. Mount and balance. $50/per if you buy elsewhere.
Some shops will remove the wheels for you, but my shop requested that I remove them and bring them in...no biggie at all for me because I can get a GOOD look at the brake pads, be certain of tightening torques, etc. When I was leaving, the tech said "we can take the wheels off for you," maybe next time.

I ordered online and had them delivered to the shop, but other options are ava. It would be better for the individual store, and the same price, if you order AT the store, that way they get credit for the sale, opposed to online.
My wheels are the alloy wheels, not spoke, so I don't know what the policy is for tubed or spokes, so a call would be in order if this appeals to you.

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
Likely pricing is same as Revzilla as they have same parent company. Comoto - America's Largest Powersports Aftermarket Retailer They just bought Rever recently too.

$25/tire is a great deal. I can't deal with the frustration for that price. My local Suz/Kawi/Triumph dealer is $35 a tire for carry in that I'll gladly pay.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Revzilla is no a "bricks and mortar" store. Like most of the online retailers they are a drop shipper.

Also if you live in PA the sales tax is 6% unless you live on the bookends of the state where its 7% (thanks Pittsburg and Philly) Since Revzilla is "located" near Philly all PA residents get to pay and additional 1 percent sales tax.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been inside Revzilla a few years ago in a not particularly savory part of Philly--like an old warehouse, but it was a real store with displays, retail and lots of stuff. Is that not the case anymore?
Yep 25/tire, after tax and disposal etc the total was $31. And right regarding the frustration!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've been inside Revzilla a few years ago in a not particularly savory part of Philly--like an old warehouse, but it was a real store with displays, retail and lots of stuff. Is that not the case anymore?
Yep 25/tire, after tax and disposal etc the total was $31. And right regarding the frustration!
They moved. They are now in a very nice and safe location. Fun to go there. It’s one of the few places
where you can try on many different brands of gear. When I lived in the NE, I would make a trip to the store usually once a year in the Spring, select the gear that I was looking for and have them ship it to my home. Most of what I purchased came a day or two later. After shopping, I would head into the heart of Philly to the Redding Central Market. There, I would head straight to DiNiks for the best cheesesteak sandwich on the planet- roasted pork, sharp provalone and broccoli rabe; beyond delicious! Then I’d top off at Barrett’s for some great Philly ice cream and beeline back home. Always a fun trip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They moved. They are now in a very nice and safe location. Fun to go there. It’s one of the few places
where you can try on many different brands of gear. When I lived in the NE, I would make a trip to the store usually once a year in the Spring, select the gear that I was looking for and have them ship it to my home. Most of what I purchased came a day or two later. After shopping, I would head into the heart of Philly to the Redding Central Market. There, I would head straight to DiNiks for the best cheesesteak sandwich on the planet- roasted pork, sharp provalone and broccoli rabe; behind delicious! Then I’d top off at Barrett’s for some great Philly ice cream and beeline back home. Always a fun trip.
Roasted pork?! Whatever.

$25/tire is a good price. Do you have to pay extra for tire disposal? I buy from a local adventure shop that has great deals on name brand tires, change them myself, and pay someone to dispose of the old ones (along with all the other junk I collect!) But I'm crazy, and I have the paperwork to prove it!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Roasted pork?! Whateve

$25/tire is a good price. Do you have to pay extra for tire disposal? I buy from a local adventure shop that has great deals on name brand tires, change them myself, and pay someone to dispose of the old ones (along with all the other junk I collect!) But I'm crazy, and I have the paperwork to prove it!
Nice thing around me at least anyone who sells tires will also recycle tires for the same $2 per tire fee. The other nice thing is our local bulk trash collection allows for up to 8 automotive tires per household twice a year. There have been time where I've taken in 20+ motorcycle tires and they always accept them for proper disposal free of charge.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was $25 to change and the total was $31 and change. I do not have the receipt, but I know when changing car tires there is a fee for recycle, so I expect there was one. Tax here is 9% I think. So 9% on 25 does not = 31, so probably yes a recycle fee included.
NOLa has a recycle center where tires can be dropped off free if I need to.
Yeah, I thought $25/tire was a great deal, having changed my share of tires on my own. No one could pay me double that to do it again. Never got the hack of it, always a struggle

·
Registered
721 Posts
$25 a tire is reasonable but you are doing 1/2 the work.

When I 1st bought my tire machine I put an add on CL bring me your wheels off the bike and tires and I changed them for $20 a wheel. I paid for my tire machine in no time. Loved it when people brought 180 series sport bike wheels and super soft sport compound tires. They take about 2 minutes to change. They have to struggle with how to get the wheel/s on/off the bike.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I change my own tubed tires in KLRs, etc. I change my friends’ tires for free, too. With Spoons, no less!

But I take my big road bikes to places that do it all....take them off, put them on, balance, etc. I’m old, wealthy and lazy!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Roasted pork?! Whatever.

Don’t knock it ‘til you’ve tried it. Roasted pork is what is on several of the top 10 Philly cheesesteaks in Philly. (DiNiks is high up in the list.) The number 1 cheesesteak, which also won the James Beard award, is made with roasted pork.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts