R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a new 2018 R1200GS!

Looking at Touratech and Wunderlich for a side stand enlarger.

Thoughts anyone?

TDOW12

·
Registered
130 Posts
Haven't installed one yet. I carry an aluminium credit card right now. Surprising how little I need it. There's always a rock, root or beer can around when I need one. SW makes one a lil cheaper. Probably going to make my own. For what it is I don't see giving some one 80$+.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My '17 GSA doesn't have much lean on the sidestand without an enlarger installed on the bottom of the foot. With the enlarger, it was almost straight up on level surfaces, if there is any slope uphill ( like the crown of a paved road), your bike won't stand up on the sidestand. Just my experience for your $0.02...

·
Registered
587 Posts
On my first GS I used the Altrider enlarger, which is a very good product. This time I bought a BMW enlarger that i think is made by Altrider, but cost about $61.00. Part number is 71602410791.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
127 Posts
I have the Touratech, does a good job, but, there is no rocket science involved here...just making the side stand larger... I'd get the less expensive one.

By the way, they are not only for mud, street asphalt on a very hot day can get soft...

Whatever brand you choose, dont forget to put some Loctite on the bolts.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I simply used a piece of 1/2 poly cutting board and 2 screws. I put a piece of paper under the side stand and traced it. Then took a 1/2 wide piece of aluminum stock and held it on the traced line and made the tracing 1/2" bigger. Rounder the corners by tracing a quarter. It took 10 minutes to cut and sand then used 2 small #8 machine screws to fasten. Painted black and it was done.

No way on dogs green earth would I spend $5 let along $70 or $80 on a side sand widener. I'd go back to using a smashed beer/soda can.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the tips!

I'm a bit concerned about the lean angle after an enlarger is added. I'll be at the dealer tomorrow for the 600 mile break in service.
I'll see what the shop has.

TDOW

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thank you all for the tips!

I'm a bit concerned about the lean angle after an enlarger is added. I'll be at the dealer tomorrow for the 600 mile break in service.
I'll see what the shop has.

TDOW

If you want to check lean angle simply put a thin piece of wood, magazine or a deck/partial deck of playing cards on the floor and deploy the side stand onto it. Stand back and have a look.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I generally avoid Chinese knock-off's like the plaque but, let's face it, a side stand enlarger is about as low-tech as a part can get.

Further, with modern machining and production techniques I expect the profit margin on the $60-$80 that Wunderlitch, Touratech and SW-Motech's asked for these things is over 90%.

I found the following on Amazon for $14.99 with free shipping. Quality is excellent with CNC anodized aluminum foot and all stainless hardware. Took about 3 weeks to receive. Good luck!

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MNN59BS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
I generally avoid Chinese knock-off's like the plaque but, let's face it, a side stand enlarger is about as low-tech as a part can get. Further, with modern machining and production techniques I expect the profit margin on the $60-$80 that Wunderlitch, Touratech and SW-Motech's asked for these things is over 90%.
Absolutely, when something can be made at home for pennies or factory made for a profit at $12 and the brand names are tryin to haul in $60/80! That's ridiculous.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought one from China on eBay. Beautiful CNC machining and perfect fit. At a fraction of the price of SW Motech or Touratech. They must be using stolen IP from the German manufacturers. Here's an example, however there are countless sellers at very competitive pricing. Mine arrived in about 10 days. There are MANY things I wouldn't consider buying from the Chinese. That said, I think you're safe with this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Side-Stand-Kickstand-Extension-Enlarge-Fit-for-BMW-R1200GS-LC-13-18/292964093667?fits=Model:R1200GS|Make:BMW&hash=item4436054ee3:g:POQAAOSwaRBcZmOC

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
This sounds like a great excuse to order a 3D printer!!!!!!

I carried around a orange plastic foot just recently I put on the Touratech.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I bought one from China on eBay. At a fraction of the price of SW Motech or Touratech. There are MANY things I wouldn't consider buying from the Chinese. That said, I think you're safe with this:
I wanted a head light and oil cooler guard and I decided to buy the cheap side stand enlarger as well. The premium price $280 CDN + Tax + shipping. Say $325 on the low side. I ordered all 3 for $75. I would pay allot more for the premium but $250 more? Nah, We'll see if the cheap stuff is junk for that price. I could have made all of it but for this price why not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts