R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My side stand switch has been getting increasingly intermittent over the last several months…I think. Generally, at start the dash display won’t light up. Sometimes I could wiggle the side stand just right and the dash would come on and then I could press the starter and things worked. I ran the GS-911WIFI and found no fault.

I tried to bridge the terminal wires in the modular connector right at the switch, but there are 3 contacts and my jumping experiment did not work whilst jumping only a pair of wires — I don’t know what to do with the 3rd contact. Any suggestions before I trailer it to the dealer?

·
Registered
55 Posts
There are 3 wires, so only 3 potential combinations, 1 of which will work. The other wire does not need to be connected to anything. Be warned though that your bike will run but a warning will be on the dash. You can kill the warning with a GS-911 or equivalent.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are 3 wires, so only 3 potential combinations, 1 of which will work. The other wire does not need to be connected to anything. Be warned though that your bike will run but a warning will be on the dash. You can kill the warning with a GS-911 or equivalent.
Thanks for your reply Bill. That is what I tried without success. I’ll try it again, as the stranded wire I used was a bit oversized for the openings in the receptacle.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe several have just connected the wires together fooling the bike into thinking stand is up!

Good vid, but that’s for the pre-water cooled version, so things look different. It sounds like this bike did have 3 wires, so the systems may be the same.

If so, that leaves 2 possibilities: A) my wire jumping effort didn’t actually adequately touch the wires inside the connector, or B) the issue lies somewhere else.

As for not taking the bike in to the dealer yet, my dealer is about 1 hour away and I’ll have to leave the bike after trailering it in, then I will have to rinse and repeat for a total of 4 hours time investment. My hope was to get the thing running reliably enough to ride it in to the dealer (lane splitting through the traffic) for the service. After that video confirmed my feelings about not having the switch fixed at all, the test portion of the video is applicable to my situation and will determine whether I get to simply disable the switch or address some other issue that does need the dealer‘s expertise.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also a problem with these switches is dirt and road grime start to bugger up internal electrical connections. Clean it in degreaser or buy a replacement.
Also a problem with these switches is dirt and road grime start to bugger up internal electrical connections. Clean it in degreaser or buy a replacement.
I just want to defeat it and be done.

It would be interesting to know if the switch is there by BMW’s choice (lawsuits) or if it’s a US DOT import thing.

For Pete’s sake, they allow us to defeat the ABS, why not the thing that will surely strand a rider in a compromised situation.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After thinking about this some more, I have another question. When this problem happens, the sequence is:
  1. I am trying to start the bike (2017 GS) after it has sat for hours (the short hibernation after shut off has expired)
  2. I press the start button
  3. The red security icon at the upper right does its blinky thing for a couple of seconds, the rest of the screen is blank/off
  4. The screen never comes to life to perform the pre-flight systems checks
My recollection from when I used to be able to start it normally was that even if the bike was in gear and on the side stand, the dash would still come to life, but the starter was disabled. Can someone please confirm if that is correct?

If my recollection is correct, then the issue probably isn’t the side stand switch, but something else.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Take it to the dealer for diagnosis. Easiest option of you are having these sort of complex electrickery issues.

There hasn't been any wiring mods has there? New bikes with smart electronics don't like when you start hacking into wires etc.

Maybe also check that your connections are tight - they exist in various places. And your battery is fully charged and good.

It's possibly too unusual to solve via a forum I fear. Unless somebody else has had the exact same thing and they can say "yeah I had that and....."

Good luck - let us know what it was.

·
Registered
32 Posts
After thinking about this some more, I have another question. When this problem happens, the sequence is:
  1. I am trying to start the bike (2017 GS) after it has sat for hours (the short hibernation after shut off has expired)
  2. I press the start button
  3. The red security icon at the upper right does its blinky thing for a couple of seconds, the rest of the screen is blank/off
  4. The screen never comes to life to perform the pre-flight systems checks
My recollection from when I used to be able to start it normally was that even if the bike was in gear and on the side stand, the dash would still come to life, but the starter was disabled. Can someone please confirm if that is correct?

If my recollection is correct, then the issue probably isn’t the side stand switch, but something else.
This sounds more like a low fob battery. The red security icon flashes when the "Radio-operated key out of range" according to the manual.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This sounds more like a low fob battery. The red security icon flashes when the "Radio-operated key out of range" according to the manual.
Oh yes, I think that was the problem! I have to test it to confirm. Thank you for the suggestion, you spared me an expensive trip to the dealer!

i hate to admit it, but I considered this and discounted it because the battery was replaced a little over a year ago and only used maybe for a dozen rides. It was a Panasonic battery, which i believe is good quality. BTW, I metered the “dead” battery at 2.87V, so the fob clearly needs strong batteries.

This problem really flummoxed me because it was intermittent and still occurred when I put the food right next to the push-button switch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Although there are always stories to the contrary, I've read and experienced myself that these batteries typically don't last very long in the fobs. I'm on #3 or 4 already for my 2018 (purchased 12/2018), and I don't store the fob anywhere near the bike. Although they give you a warning about it getting low, I've learned that keeping a spare on the bike isn't a bad idea.

·
Registered
44 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts