R1200GS Forum banner

Silicone spray on black plastics

20K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Avicke 
#1 ·
Does anyone on the forum use silicone spray on the black plastics on their GSs?

If not, what else?

#2 ·
(flame retardant donned)

When I want to renew the look of the black plastic items I use some petroleum jelly. It makes the black bits look like new. I apply then wipe off any residue so that the part is dry to the touch. Been doing it for years. The "treatment" lasts a long time too, weeks to months. It seems to really protect.

There are those that will say that petroleum jelly "destroys" rubber, plastic, whatever. I did some research on that and the only thing I could find, other than repeating the claim, was a "study" from the early 1900s stating that it reacted poorly with the rubber of the time, they were testing. I found absolutely nothing since then. If there is a later study, I didn't find it. So, I figured, first...I am not using it on rubber. Second, these parts are pretty visible so I would easily see any deterioration. Third, even if deterioration occurred the parts wouldn't be that big a deal to replace.

It's cheap and easily available.

#3 ·
peanut butter

A friend who details cars for a living says he uses smooth peanut butter. Rub it in, then polish it off.

#4 ·
I use a product from Meguiar's called Natural Shine Protectant, but there are a range of products. I did use ArmorAll for years but this product seems to work better.

Years ago (many now I guess) plastics and synthetic rubbers and elastomers suffered over time when the plasticizers would break down (mostly from UV attack) and result in parts cracking, chalking or becoming brittle.
Keeping them protected with a good product helps, but the quality of the polymers used these days is generally much better. Having said this, it is very easy to see products (including motorcycle parts) that are still manufactured with lower cost and lower quality polymers that will still suffer degrading physical characteristics in surprisingly short periods of time.

Glass filled nylon and acetal parts are often the most conspicuous particularly where they are being used to replace what may have traditionally been a fabricated steel part or a cast alloy part, and BMW have had their experiences here too. I remember a friend purchased a brand new K75 and the main structural bracket holding the front assembly of gauges and lights etc. was an injection moulded part that had a nasty habit of breaking in service. Heat, UV, vibration and time conspire against parts that are not well designed for plastic.

Away from the more engineering components, I use the Protectant on my seat to maintain a soft and flexible material. Remember the "old days" when bike seats made from PVC would split and then the foam inside would soak up the first shower of rain and from that day on you would get a wet butt every time you sat on your bike. Made worse still by trying to apply duck tape which would at best provide a temporary solution, but ultimately it would squirm and then the residue of the adhesive would transfer onto your butt too.

So, although I tend not to keep my bikes as long these day, I still take care of the plastic and synthetic surfaces for the next owner to enjoy. And it makes the bike look like new. :grin2:

Reactions: vewdorider
#7 ·
Your best solution to keeping your bags and plastics like new

Use Honda brand cleaner/polish. Spray it on, wipe it off. Great for windshields too - keeps the plastic looking like new.

As an alternative, use lemon Pledge spray. Same result as above, smells nice too :)

I've used both for over five years on two bikes and both look like new. You won't be unhappy with the result!

Good luck!

#12 ·
OT hijack, sorry...
what is the purpose of that part, Poppy? Is it just to prevent spray behind you? Most bikes don't have it. Is it something dictated by some government, or - ? I took mine off because it really really blocks the view of the rear tire for damage.
Over 8k miles without it and have not been tempted to replace at all, but am I missing something?

#13 ·
I feel the guard has 2 functions. Splatter protection for rear lights and tag and a very major cool factor part. Can't help but love the uniqueness of this model and the beast appearance. That part is like body armor. Personally I won't ever take pieces off my bike unless replacing them with better "stuff". I discover unknown features constantly. My '05 is a hunk of mystery to me and just looking at it is just as much of a hoot as riding it.

#18 · (Edited)
two things::grin2:

Not at all like grandpa walking around in his loose Y fronts--thanks for the image and I remember a Gary Shandling routine that was similar, but you got a laugh.

and re "cool" factor...Cool, like Beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. I think it looks far more badass without, thus cooler. The R and the RT have similar rears without the hugger.

I've ridden through thick wet slimy red mud as well as water washing over a road and there was no appreciable collection of grime on the plate (US plate) or the taillight.

Even if all that is true though, for me, and ymmv, being able to more easily see and inspect my rear tire for damage is far more important, and I removed it just for that reason.

#21 ·
i have tried almost all the products recommended in this thread and i can say that the best by far is boiled linseed oil. available from hardware stores in a 1 litre bottle so its very very cheap. you only need a very small amount on a rag - wipe on - wait 5 - buff off. lasts for months even if you wash every week. google it. lots of recommendations for black plastics on cars.

#23 ·
Just be careful of BLO on your rags - they can/will spontaneously combust if left saturated/crumpled. I use it with my other hobby (wood working) and I tested it out for kicks - sure enough, FIRE!

I use Pledge on my bikes. Once I tried it, I never went back (and so much cheaper than Honda detailer/other brands etc). It works as well as any other thing I've used, I love it, and the bikes have a lemony fresh scent :)

#22 · (Edited)
Shineola!

That's it. Try black shoe polish. Or not. :laugh2:

I has this stupid MG Midget, it had black bumper covers. I was trying to sell it. The shoe polish trick covered up the weather worn bumper covers just fine. Be sure to buff it out.
Not one of my better ideas, but it did work.

#30 ·
Hi guys. Here's my two cents.
I recently bought an R1200GS DOHC from 2011.
It was in pretty good shape, but all the black plastics (the two side pannels, the various black plastic covers here and there, mudguard, topcase, everything) were all faded. It was especially bad on the mirrors, which were not even black anymore, but a rather strange gray-ish color.
Now, from the look of the bike it was clear that it was simply kept in the sun for it's entire life and plastics seemed almost beyond saving. I live in Romania, most of the products in this review are not available here, but I was able to find the Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer. After carefully applying it to all the black parts of the bike (except for the seat, grips and such) all I can say is that it looks amazing. It did a brilliant job at restoring the matte aspect of the plastic (no, it is not shiny at all on these plastics) but it held up pretty well. I pressure washed the bike (with detergent as well) a couple of times already, I went offroad, took some longer road trips. It looks amazing. Mirrors are still black, side pannels look really nice. By the look of the bike, I would say I will reapply the product in a month's time. I ride every day, at least to work, so the bike is outside a lot.

Ride safe!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.