R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a couple of slow drops on a rocky section of trails, I confirmed what I'd often read but my back pocket refused to acknowledge, is that the stock GS lower bars are not up to the task. I replaced the lower bars and BMW GSA Enduro bash plate with Outback Motortek lower bars and skid plate. Being tall, my shins love the way Motortek bars are designed, but the skid plate is phenomenally louder that the BMW plate. I do like how the plate bolts to the frame and not the engine, although more protection of the pipes at the font would have been have nice IMO. Howver, the sound is tiring even with ear plugs. Before I ditch the Motortek skid plate, I was considering packing the plate with skid plate foam to dampen the engine reverberations. My concern is there is not a lot of room between the pipes and plate and as the pipes get really hot, whether there is a foam compound strong enough not to melt. I found products that look like they'd do the trick, but not a lot of conversations on sound dampening the GS skid plates. Greatly appreciate if anyone has explored this or could point me to a discussion feed. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a skid plate for my NineT Urban a couple of years ago.
It made a lot of noise from vibrating and also reflecting engine noise upwards.
I made washers from rubber and put them in between the bracket on the bike and the skid plate. It worked really well.
The washers were around 4 mm. thick and 20 mm. diameter to spread the pressure over an area big enough to prevent much compression. Locktite on the screws.
Made a quick drawing..hope it makes sense. If not let me know, and i will try again😁

Handwriting Gesture Font Art Rectangle

·
Registered
132 Posts
Another option could be to use a thick piece of rubber that fits tightly between the skid plate and the underside of the engine. You probably only need a small piece (~1" square) to dampen the vibration of the skid plate. Go to any auto parts store and look for the rubber hangers used for car exhausts - they can take lots of heat.

Of course, Soren K's solution looks more professional....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts