R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I had a nasty crash into a door frame on Saturday on my 2010 R1200GS. The Touratech lower crash bars did their job! They will need to be replaced, but the cylinder for the most part is fine. The crash bar did come in contact as it is impacted from the side up against the cylinder head, but ended up not touching when all was said and done ( I can fit a match book cover between the cylinder head and the crash bar.) There are NO leaks from the main mating rubber gasket.

But, I think that there might be a tiny leak from the rear cylinder head bolt on the left side of the bike (left while sitting on the bike).

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jason

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
The cylinder head bolts are inside the valve cover. A leak would show up as an oil film between head and cylinder. Is that what you are seeing or do you mean a valve cover screw? If it's a valve cover screw remove the valve cover and make sure the gasket is properly seated. That may be all that is needed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The valve cover probably got deflected to the rear from impact with the crash bar.
Remove, inspect, and reassemble the valve cover. Pay close attention to the cover screws, they may be bent. Probably not serious, so don't worry too much. There is a rubber gasket around each screw, it may have simply become twisted. The act of disassembly/reassembly may be all you need. Keep in mind, there is no torque spec for the valve cover screws. You'll feel it when they are in all the way. Don't try to tighten them much further. And when it's all apart, look very closely for a crack in the valve cover around that one screw.
These things are pretty tough, so you are probably fine.

Last week in Death Valley, one of our group took a left corner just a bit too tight and hit a boulder that was partially obscured by brush. Hit the crash bar, flung him across the trail. The crash bar was destroyed, driven back into the valve cover, and the cover screws were bent or broken. The valve cover was destroyed in several places as was the gasket. And the timing chain gear was bent inside, plus the stick coil was also broken. Very hard hit, probably going 25mph at the time. Hit hard enough to take a piece of the boulder, too. That was the end of the trip for that bike, we had to load it up on a truck to get it out of there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I am trying to decide whether or not to take off the crash bar and the valve cover guard to get to the cylinder cover before my trip to Utah from LA. As I know that I'd never be able to get it back on at this point. I will replace the crash bar, but I was planning to do it after the trip.

I did unscrew the valve cover bolt and re-tighten it. I haven't seen anything leaking.

Do you see any issue with this plan?

Also, jeez, i hope your friend is ok. I thought my crash was bad. This sounds a ton worse (especially on the wallet!!!).

Thanks for your detailed explanations. It is very much appreciated.

Jason

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fixed

Hi,

I just wanted to follow up and let you know that the Cylinder Head bolts were bent (just slightly). I ended up having them replaced.

Thanks again for the help.

It is appreciated.

Jason

1 - 5 of 5 Posts