R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After trying 4 different windshields I thought the Calsci was the winner. Rode in pouring rain for 3 hours Wednesday. Was getting hit with water in the chin (full face helmet). Evidently, the air the windshield lets thru it's hole is causing water to come off the top and rise up to my chin and then running down my neck. My shirt had a wet front racing stripe directly down the middle. My vstream didn't do it in the same conditions so I figure it's the windshield design. Vstream was purely a looks thing to me although it had some buffeting at my head. Found different helmets affected that but I want to be able to wear any of them any time. Having the shield cracked eliminated it as well so it's the aero of the helmet I figure. Puig touring is on the way. I like the looks of it better anyway so we shall see. I really liked the touratech but couldn't get past all the flaws in it they said were normal. I just want the hammering off my helmet without the water in the face. I'm really not that difficult. Thinking I should get into the windshield business.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I went through the same experience when I had a CalSci on my GTL.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I went through the same experience when I had a CalSci on my GTL.
Strange how different folks find different strokes. I've put 30,000 miles on a CalSci XXL everything and it's the best thing since sliced bread for both me (6'5") and my wife. If I had a gripe it would be the quality of the finish but thats a small matter, it works and works very, very well.

I just test rode a 21 GSA and have decided to buy. The first farkle will be a new screen, the stock offering is, to me, utterly useless. After 3 hrs it felt like I'd gone a round or two with Mike Tyson in his prime. Freeway riding at anything about 65 or so was impossible for any length of time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can see the xxl making a difference. I think I only had the large.
It was the difference between night and day for me, especially when coupled with a Russell Day Long Seat. No turbulence at any speed and no aerodynamic back suction/push experienced by many, including me, alleviated by the CalSci hole.

Anyway, am on the hunt for a new screen for my latest weapon of choice, a 2021 Triple Black GSA TE :)

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
111 Posts
I'm on my 2nd windshield and not 100% satisfied as I still have some buffeting. The actual shield is Puig Touring with spoiler. My first screen was OEM screen (2021 R1200GS). The hammering to my head at any speed over 40mph was unbearable. Then I purchased Puig Touring and the buffeting was still there but now it would start at about 60mph. Then I purchased Puig spoiler for it and buffeting now starts at about 80mph and it's not too strong. The screen is adjusted the way I look over it, not through.
However, I want to get rid of buffeting completely as I managed on my previous bikes. After trying many screens on my previous bikes, the solution was always the same - Givi Airflow plus tilting the screen towards me by using spacers and longer screws or by adjusting the tilt (for example Suzuki DL1000 2014 and 2018 I owned both had screen angle adjustment). When I decided to move to GS I thought I wouldn't look back and simply purchase Givi Airflow. But Givi doesn't make AIrflow for the latest GS.
So, my next step will be to purchase Givi Touring screen, just to see how it performs. Then, the step after that is to purchase Givi hardware and universal top portion of their Airflow screen (the hardware and the top portion is the same across all the platform of their Airflow products and are very cheap), and go ahead and fabricate my own Givi Airflow. I plan to do that by cutting Givi Touring screen down (still don't know how much) and then mounting the hardware and the top portion of the AIrflow.
So, I have to try as I don't mind a wind but hate the buffeting. My frankenstein Givi Airflow is my last option. I'm, 6f2,5 tall.
I tried few different helmets but they all performed the same.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm on my 2nd windshield and not 100% satisfied as I still have some buffeting. The actual shield is Puig Touring with spoiler. My first screen was OEM screen (2021 R1200GS). The hammering to my head at any speed over 40mph was unbearable. Then I purchased Puig Touring and the buffeting was still there but now it would start at about 60mph. Then I purchased Puig spoiler for it and buffeting now starts at about 80mph and it's not too strong. The screen is adjusted the way I look over it, not through.
However, I want to get rid of buffeting completely as I managed on my previous bikes. After trying many screens on my previous bikes, the solution was always the same - Givi Airflow plus tilting the screen towards me by using spacers and longer screws or by adjusting the tilt (for example Suzuki DL1000 2014 and 2018 I owned both had screen angle adjustment). When I decided to move to GS I thought I wouldn't look back and simply purchase Givi Airflow. But Givi doesn't make AIrflow for the latest GS.
So, my next step will be to purchase Givi Touring screen, just to see how it performs. Then, the step after that is to purchase Givi hardware and universal top portion of their Airflow screen (the hardware and the top portion is the same across all the platform of their Airflow products and are very cheap), and go ahead and fabricate my own Givi Airflow. I plan to do that by cutting Givi Touring screen down (still don't know how much) and then mounting the hardware and the top portion of the AIrflow.
So, I have to try as I don't mind a wind but hate the buffeting. My frankenstein Givi Airflow is my last option. I'm, 6f2,5 tall.
I tried few different helmets but they all performed the same.
Hi Bosnjo,

How is Portugal, beautiful as always I hope. Once Covd and all the travel restrictions are manageable we will come down for a tour of Spain and Portugal. Have not been for a few years and miss Portuguese food and Wine not to mention the people. Let us hope all starts to open again later this year.

Anyway back to screens. My test ride on the GSA was very, very positive. So much so that I came home called my dealer and put a deposit down to reserve one for May, Covid permitting. I will be sad to see my K1600 GTL go but she has been a lot of problems, new engine, new gearbox x 2 and a complete new frame. Long story but in the first 2 years it spent 8 months in a workshop.

Anyway, the new GSA calls. Hopefully I won't have so many problems. I will need a new screen and from what I can learn on YouTube etc if I get a taller screen which I must I will need a bracket to strengthen the support to stop the screen from vibrating and bending at high speed?

The VStream looks good especially the Deluxe Touring Model and the Wunderlich Marathon. If may even try a windshield extension to see how that goes. I don't want to fit a strengthening bracket unless I have to and lose the ability to change screen position whilst riding?

When I test drove the bike I also had the seat in its highest position. I may be able to reduce that especially as I plan to lower the footpegs at least 30mm using the Vario set up. The GSA rides very high and my chances of scraping pegs will be slight I imagine. I would do it all the time on the GTL but that was much closer to the ground especially when 2 up and luggage. As you say trial and error but other riders inputs are alway, always welcome.

Probably the next thing to go will be the seat. I had a Russell day Long on the GTL, it really is unbeatable for comfort and long, long days.

Anyway good luck finding your perfect screen. Do let me know by PM how you get on and I will do likewise.

Regards,

Tony (in Vienna)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had posted this elsewhere but in case it helps anyone who didn't see it: I have a Puig electric adjustable windscreen bracket with a cut down Calsci windscreen. Calsci had to resend me a screen without the "hole" because of the design of the Puig electric unit & the wind through it made a howling sound.

The screen worked much better than factory and I ride mostly with it in a lower setting. I just added a direct mount Puig deflector, so far so good.

Off for a nice hopefully 12ish day trip including the Barber Museum soon so will be putting the deflector through a good test. Get my 2nd vax shot next Friday. Leave a couple of days to get through side effects, if any, then outta here!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had posted this elsewhere but in case it helps anyone who didn't see it: I have a Puig electric adjustable windscreen bracket with a cut down Calsci windscreen. Calsci had to resend me a screen without the "hole" because of the design of the Puig electric unit & the wind through it made a howling sound.

The screen worked much better than factory and I ride mostly with it in a lower setting. I just added a direct mount Puig deflector, so far so good.

Off for a nice hopefully 12ish day trip including the Barber Museum soon so will be putting the deflector through a good test. Get my 2nd vax shot next Friday. Leave a couple of days to get through side effects, if any, then outta here!

View attachment 29591
Thanks so much for the info, good luck with your Jab. I had my Pfizer jab yesterday. No reaction whatsoever....yet. Stay safe and well.

·
Registered
30 Posts

View attachment 29591
I've just looked at the Puig Electric Screen mechanism which looks very interesting. Does it make larger screens more stable in a similar fashion to screen braces for Touring Screens? I'm 6'5" and will have to put the tallest screen on the bike I can find. Pictures of the installation and or operation would be greatly appreciated. Coming from a GTL I know how good electric screens are. Anyway, good luck with your Covid Jab. Best regards, Tony.

·
Registered
155 Posts
BigT, there are videos on YouTube about the Puig electric screen. I had my dealer install it but there's at least one other member here that's done it and really likes it so try searching.

If I had my choice I don't know if I'd do it again here's why:

It

Mine rattles when the going gets bumpy. I've tried everything to chase is down without luck. YMMV

Once I found the right height, I've hardly ever move it up and down. But then again had I not had the ability to move it up and down I might not have found that height.

I recently bought the Puig touring screen. I'm 5' 8". It was so tall with the mechanism on the lowest heighI couldn't come close to seeing over it. I didn't even mount it and returned it for refund. I went the deflector route on my custom Calsci as detailed above.

If I were you, and given your height and as others have suggested, start by getting the Puig Touring screen. You may find that's all you have to do. If you like it get the brace. If you hook that screen up to an electric unit I think you'll be disappointed.

My experience with windscreens is always going through a number of them until I find what works for me. Hopefully all this will help you narrow things down more quickly. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I too have the Puig electric screen. Right now I have the OEM GSA screen on it, and it's pretty good, not perfect, but the descriptions you guys have of the Calsci windscreens are intriguing - the xxl screen putting the air flow over my helmet (6'3" - long torso) and I've got the RDL saddle too - that sounds like the perfect set up... except for the howling issue! Does the Calsci screen work as designed without the cutout? Does the cutout howl at all positions you use your Puig screen at, Pops58, or just one/some? You use a cut down shield, would a tall shield have the same problem? I've got/had a V-stream windscreen which I put on for a couple of days and took off because I like the OEM look better, and I'm going to probably try that again as my OEM screen has some cracks around the mounting bolts and needs to be changed over. Any answers would be great - thanks guys!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I too have the Puig electric screen. Right now I have the OEM GSA screen on it, and it's pretty good, not perfect, but the descriptions you guys have of the Calsci windscreens are intriguing - the xxl screen putting the air flow over my helmet (6'3" - long torso) and I've got the RDL saddle too - that sounds like the perfect set up... except for the howling issue! Does the Calsci screen work as designed without the cutout? Does the cutout howl at all positions you use your Puig screen at, Pops58, or just one/some? You use a cut down shield, would a tall shield have the same problem? I've got/had a V-stream windscreen which I put on for a couple of days and took off because I like the OEM look better, and I'm going to probably try that again as my OEM screen has some cracks around the mounting bolts and needs to be changed over. Any answers would be great - thanks guys!
BigT, there are videos on YouTube about the Puig electric screen. I had my dealer install it but there's at least one other member here that's done it and really likes it so try searching.

If I had my choice I don't know if I'd do it again here's why:

It

Mine rattles when the going gets bumpy. I've tried everything to chase is down without luck. YMMV

Once I found the right height, I've hardly ever move it up and down. But then again had I not had the ability to move it up and down I might not have found that height.

I recently bought the Puig touring screen. I'm 5' 8". It was so tall with the mechanism on the lowest heighI couldn't come close to seeing over it. I didn't even mount it and returned it for refund. I went the deflector route on my custom Calsci as detailed above.

If I were you, and given your height and as others have suggested, start by getting the Puig Touring screen. You may find that's all you have to do. If you like it get the brace. If you hook that screen up to an electric unit I think you'll be disappointed.

My experience with windscreens is always going through a number of them until I find what works for me. Hopefully all this will help you narrow things down more quickly. Keep us posted!
Thanks again. I have found the videos. It's a complicated thing to fit the Puig Mechanism, not sure my three left thumbs and tendency to lose patience would quite be able to manage. That said I take aboard what you say and will not be rushing of to buy one. What a shame BMW could not offer an electric screen as an option and moreover, a screen fitting. that does not wobble and flex when someone over 5'0"(no insult intended to the vertically challenged ;-) gets buffeting and needs a taller screen. BMW sometimes make me despair and wonder if there is anyone in that august company that actually enjoys riding bikes for fun. Even on my K1600 GTL, billed as the ultimate tourer, which the engine is, I had to fit aftermarket screens (CalSci XXL) and a seat that did not make a Medieval Rack seem appealing to the comfort conscious. (An RDL and $1,300 inc.shipping fixed that!!). Oh hum. With no alternatives available its back to BMW and the GSA which, after a 3 hour test drive was comfortable and surprisingly sporty and well sorted. Loved the power of the engine which, well compares to the actual power/weight of the K1600 and especially the ergonomics. When I got back on my K GTL for the trip home after testing the GSA, I felt positively cramped, surprising but true.

Anyway I look forward to swapping war stories on this forum and as always benefiting from and hopefully contributing to it, as I learn about this new toy due to hit my garage sometime in May. Meanwhile the hunt for accessories continues apace. Luggage is top of the list. I camp and ride long, long days. Vladivostok and Japan is planned for next year, would have gone this year but a small pandemic got in the way.

Stay safe and well everybody.

Regards, Tony.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts