R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dream bike is the R1200GS. I'm currently on a VStrom DL650. THings I don't like about my Vstrom include the floatiness(as compared to a Tiger 800), the buffeting and waving back and forth of the bike when passing Semis on the highway (typically between 65 and 80mph), the toyish feel(as compared tothe R1200GS) BUT I love the bike.

I'm wondering what about the R1200 is undesirable. I have test ridden the bike, love the height/weight, love the boxer engine sound and response, love the handling(2011GSmodel triple black), love the ABS, love the throttle. I've tested two, a 2010 GSA and the T2011 Triple Black. But, in my test rides I couldn't ride the thing on the highway for a couple of days or cruise mountains like I have on the V. I found myself at highway speeds effortlessly (love the power)

So, I'm curious about other things - are there vibrations at certain speeds, wind issues at certain speeds/altittudes, mechanical things every rider should know. Forums in general invite a lot of discouraged users to seek help with their issues, hundreds of thousands of happy users never log in. So, I don't want to be discourage by talk of final drives, high maintenance cost, and etc etc. Hoping to hear from folks who love their bikes and can share about any personality quirks their particular model/ year may have.

My V is the best of anything but I love riding it- first bike. When the time comes, I'll be adding the GS.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Well, I'm not going to get into my dislikes as I really don't have any. If I were forced to mention my major problem with my '09 GSA, it would be I don't get to ride it enough!

I've been riding since the mid-1960s and have experienced all kinds of machines. I rode Harleys from 1980 until 2006 when I purchased my first BMW, a K1200GT. That bike was fantastic and, in two years, I rolled the odometer from 000,007 miles to 54,000, crossing the US four times. It developed a bad engine problem and, with a planned ride to Colorado approaching, Carolina Euro dealership owner, Jason E. said, "Take my GSA if you want."

Well, I did just that, keeping the '09 for ten days before returning it. I rode back roads all the way out and, when my daughter delivered a baby boy two weeks early, I put that sucker on the Eisenhower System and rode it all the way back to NC on the slab. The GSA never whimpered cruising at 70-90 mph. When I passed semis, it was more stable than my GT. I was impressed enough with the GSA that I traded the day I returned it to the generous (somewhat foolish:D) dealer.

I've owned the machine now for two years and it has been a pleasure. It is, without doubt, the finest motorcycle I've owned. The service I've received from my dealer has been excellent, too!!!!

Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm a new owner of a 2011 GS, less than a month but it takes less than a couple of minutes to realize what a great bike it is. Honestly, I had a 2006 KTM 950, which I loved for a couple of years... but I can honestly say that the GS is superior in many aspects. You don't realize your sitting on a big bike the way it handles. In traffic, I'm amazed at how slow I can go without doing much of a balancing act and at highway speeds, it slices through without much turbulence. I haven't tried adjusting the windshield since I'm already comfy. It feels like a extension of myself or like the perfect dancing partner.:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I feel your pain...just departed a DL1000 after 40K faithful miles...Arctic...Deserts...just didn't matter, the unit performed.That said my recently acquired GS simply refines the obivous. Touring and riding HARD goes to the next level. the fact that I roll two up even highlights the BMW's abilities. Well worth the "leap". Choose Wisely my friend.

·
Registered
54 Posts
1200gs

I had a VStrom 1000 and it made me uneasy in fast sweepers unlike the GS. Also, it seemed to get sloppy (I mean controls, bearings) after 18k and that took some of the fun away. I also had to buy a windshield, a center stand and other must haves. In the end you get what you pay for. I really liked the engine though.

The GS is not a want, for me its a need. It's the ultimate motorcycle. Only other GS guys really understand.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a VStrom 1000 and it made me uneasy in fast sweepers unlike the GS. Also, it seemed to get sloppy (I mean controls, bearings) after 18k and that took some of the fun away. I also had to buy a windshield, a center stand and other must haves. In the end you get what you pay for. I really liked the engine though.

The GS is not a want, for me its a need. It's the ultimate motorcycle. Only other GS guys really understand.
Sort of a moot point since we are GS owners now. But my V-strom improved greatly with a fork stabilizer and heavier fork oil at speed. You are on target that the "add-ons" were required. But the TL998 engine is wonderful. I always wondered what could happen if Suzuki took that engine and gave it to the moto-cross boys to lighten it up...maybe a run at KTMs V-twin? I love my GS but the V-strom will always have a special spot with me. I will always wonder what could have been if Suzuki would have aimed at the KTM / GS market more seriously.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There's only one thing that bugs me and that is...

The price. I have a 2010 GS Adventure and although it is a great bike there is not 20k worth of parts and labor in it. That being said, all bikes are over priced. Seriously though it's the best bike I've had the pleasure to ride. Not the fastest, most fuel efficient, or even the best looking but it is the most fun.

Dirt roads beware! I know where you live and I will conquer you!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Having both a GS and a GSA, I would just point out that the wind /weather protection on the GSA is better. That said, as an atgatt guy, imho, it's too hot to ride the GSA in hot weather because very little air flows through my mesh suit and helmet. The regular GS is a bit better in that regard, which of course means the GSA is the better bike to ride when it's very cold.

Just mentioning because this factor is often overlooked when choosing a mount.

To that end, even my regular GS doesn't see much commuting duty in the summer. It's my bike of choice if I were going on a multi day trip, but for daily use I ride a Triumph Scrambler where my helmet vent system functions as designed and lots of air runs through my mesh gear. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yup, the stock GS windscreen is pretty bad. I replaced it with a Wunderlich Vario and have been quite happy. I can raise it all the way up if it's cold or I'm going on a longer ride and lower it when it's hot. When Summer fully kicks in then I'll put on the smaller topscreen (it comes with two) so I can get it even lower [to not much more than a sportscreen].

I liked some of the GSA's farkles, but the extra height (6'1, 32" inseam) wasn't comfortable for me and I didn't feel like spending 2-3k more for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
on the expensive side of the rel-val spectrum

i'll agree with the other gent who mentioned price as being a negative. i personally think it's an expensive motorcycle given the HP rating and suspension that comes on the bike. i'm on my second GS and what notice is that you're really not paying up for those parts specifically but for the engineering and design behind it (30yrs GS). i don't think there is any manufacture out there that builds them like BMW does. having owned (and own currently) many Italian bikes allows me to say that. the build quality is definitely worth paying up for.

good luck with the hunt,

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had Aprilia Caponord Rally Raid before. I loved it, and once I sorted the well known issues (bearings, electrical issues), it was a fine bike. But then the rear shock failed and gearbox started to miss gears etc, and the whole bike felt very tired - after 22k miles...
By comparison the GSA (2006 with 30K miles) now seems to run better then when I first got it. I did have a failed final drive, and recently fuel pump controller, but I still like the bike very much overall.
What I don't like - I find the suspension quite hash when not loaded with boxes etc. (or too soft if I lower the pre-load on front), gearbox is very crunchy, and the shaft drive is very jerky when rolling off the throttle in gear. You kind of get used to it... I don't think there is a better bike for the purpose, and in UK it even seems reasonably priced if you don't specify all the luxury bits you don't need (IMHO).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts