R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Old Man on a Bike
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '17 that was leftover sitting on the dealers floor for a year and a half..... Got a deal on it, new, never titled, 200 miles. Anyhow, I've got 1000 miles on it now and made an appointment for my 600 mi/1000 Kilometer raping.... er I mean "Run-In inspection". I'm thinking it would be safe to say there has been at least one software revision since 2017..... what says the braintrust here?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Your bike can get a largish, but still limited number (about 60 for the engine management controller) number of updates. That's all. Your bike is not the same as a USB thumb drive or memory card. Stop thinking of it that way.

Are you having any issues? Does any potential new code claim to address those issues? If not why update? Would you ask BMW to tear apart you engine to replace some internal component just because new bikes are getting the new component?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Your bike can get a largish, but still limited number (about 60 for the engine management controller) number of updates. That's all. Your bike is not the same as a USB thumb drive or memory card. Stop thinking of it that way.

Are you having any issues? Does any potential new code claim to address those issues? If not why update? Would you ask BMW to tear apart you engine to replace some internal component just because new bikes are getting the new component?
Marc. Why are there updates?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
They either add/change support for features available on newer bikes or address specific issues. Say BMW adds a sensor to work with the traction control system. New firmware will be needed to handle that sensor. But your bike is older and doesn't have the new sensor. You do not need the updated firmware as in the BEST case it will do nothing.

If your bike is not experiencing any issues addressed by newer firmware then, again, the BEST case is that updating will do nothing.

If you are experiencing issues that have been fixed by a firmware change then update. I expect those with any of the the many complaints about connecting with bluetooth devices will keep updating, hoping BMW will fix the issue. I'd warn those people to stop asking for updates once their bike/comm system is doing what they want.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I’d say your logic generically applies to most software updates for products that upgrade hardware except:

There are however occasions where new software improves prior hardware performance.

BMW has had more software than hardware updates since the TFT was issued.

Do you have any specific BMW information because you’ve updated yours or for any other reason ?

For me, I am mostly irritated because I asked and was told it was a hefty update. I made my appointment and no one discouraged me. I do have a very specific reason for wanting to update. The only reason they did not update is because for some reason BMW sees fit to charge dealers for the update. It wasted 8 hours of my day when I have plenty of other things to do. My bike operates fine and yes I am aware risk of poking a sleeping dog.

·
Old Man on a Bike
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I get the whole "limited update capacity" of the ECU... but 60? That's 6 a year for 10 years! That's pretty much a non-issue in my book. I had a '12 K1600GTL, as a first year model it had a bunch of updates in the seven years I owned it......5 to be specific. Those gave me better brakes, better acceleration, better user interface with the display and bluetooth, better lighting, and better peace of mind; all that and I only used 1/12th of my "allowed" updates!

Back to my original question: Have there been any updates since the bike was built in '17?

·
Old Man on a Bike
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the answer: NOTHING for the '17...... all the updates are for the '18's and 19's

·
Registered
184 Posts
When I had the first (600mile) service on my R1250GS the dealer did some software updates. They said it would take between 20 minutes and 4 hours. Needless to say in my case it took the 4 hours.

Have I noticed anything different? The tiny display showing either 1 or 2 level of the handlebar heated grips was in a very small box. Now they are without the box and much clearer to read.

Haven't noticed anything else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts