R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200 GSA Triple Black
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 GSA with the keyless ride. I wanted to get an extra key to carry just to use it for the cases. I don’t need the chipped key used in pre keyless bikes, but something like that in a non-chipped example would work.

I went to my local BMW stealership and was told all I could order would be a copy of the plastic emergency key, the chipped key, ($85) or a whole new fob, ($300).

Is it possible that a local locksmith could duplicate only the blade portion of the fob?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Call the local locksmith or better yet stop in and show them the key you want duplicated. If they can find a blank I'm sure they can cut it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2017 GSA with the keyless ride. I wanted to get an extra key to carry just to use it for the cases. I don’t need the chipped key used in pre keyless bikes, but something like that in a non-chipped example would work.

I went to my local BMW stealership and was told all I could order would be a copy of the plastic emergency key, the chipped key, ($85) or a whole new fob, ($300).

Is it possible that a local locksmith could duplicate only the blade portion of the fob?
I have a 2005 R1200GS with a chip key. I was in the same boat. bought a key blank from amazon and had a local smith cut it. it is a negative cut channel in a blank so the outer edges are smooth... had to go to a particular lock smith to get it done.

·
Registered
113 Posts
There's no point in buying a chip key if you have keyless ride - there's nothing for the chip to talk to. Your dealer should be able to order you a non-chip key, I asked for one when consummating the sale, it cost me about $40. It has a grey head, a chip key has a black head.

·
Registered
905 Posts
There's no point in buying a chip key if you have keyless ride - there's nothing for the chip to talk to. Your dealer should be able to order you a non-chip key, I asked for one when consummating the sale, it cost me about $40. It has a grey head, a chip key has a black head.
He wants it for the panniers not the ignition.

·
Registered
113 Posts
He wants it for the panniers not the ignition.
I know. That's why I thought it odd that his dealer was only interested in selling him a key with a useless chip instead of the unchipped key he really wants.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know. That's why I thought it odd that his dealer was only interested in selling him a key with a useless chip instead of the unchipped key he really wants.
I think I just need to ride somewhere else when it gets a little cooler, and find a parts guy that knows what they're doing. Sierra BMW in Sparks doesn't seem to have the brightest lights working behind the counter. The dealership management seems to be more interested in selling Specialized brand electric bikes than BMW motorcycles.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think I just need to ride somewhere else when it gets a little cooler, and find a parts guy that knows what they're doing. Sierra BMW in Sparks doesn't seem to have the brightest lights working behind the counter. The dealership management seems to be more interested in selling Specialized brand electric bikes than BMW motorcycles.
FWIW I was unimpressed with the dealer in Las Vegas. Spent 3 days trying unsuccessfully to get through to the service department by phone or online. Phone tree does not have an option for "parts".

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I ordered one from ebay...actually 2 blanks and had a local locksmith in my city cut em. I use that key for my seat, gps and panniers. Cutting costed Rs 100 I think...that about $1.25

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FWIW I was unimpressed with the dealer in Las Vegas. Spent 3 days trying unsuccessfully to get through to the service department by phone or online. Phone tree does not have an option for "parts".
Las Vegas BMW was a great store when it existed. It's now become a Eurosports Dealership and the same people that own the Vegas store also own the old BMW dealership in Santa Rosa, CA. The Vegas store is also in a real crappy part of town. I've actually visited it twice. My first and my only.

On another note, I called Max BMW in CT. I spoke with the parts person there, and he said a key without the transponder exists, he gave me the part number and said they are in stock in the warehouse. So . . . back to my local dealership for another try. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
169 Posts
If I’m reading this right and your only need is for the side cases, any key will do (or no key at all).

YouTube will show you how to arrange the tumblers (it isn’t too difficult) or any locksmith can do it for you. I did it myself after watching a YT tutorial.

A friend who is a BMW mechanic says he often does it for his customers for free, though he’s supposed to charge .5 hours.

Seriously easy-peasy.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was able to find the key via RealOEM. Got the key ordered

Real OEM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts