R1200GS Forum banner

Special tool needed to remove sparkplug coil?

13K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  PerazziMx14 
#1 ·
This is going to be my first attempt to do a 12K miles service on my 2017 GSA (previous services done by dealer). I watched a YouTube tutorial video, the man used a special tool to remove the sparkplug coil. It was done in a few seconds (hard to see: one hand on the tool and one hand on camera and he cut the shot short). He did not elaborate on the tool. 1) Anyone know that tool? Part number or links to buy the tool please. 2) Else, will I be able to remove the coil using the "normal" tools that anyone would have (pliers, screwdrivers, etc.)? Thank you.

#3 · (Edited)
A good ole shoe string will work as well. Make sure you work the string up to the head of the coil and with steady even pressure gently pull the coil free to f the spark plug.

I do use the coil puller when working in the garage as it’s right in the tool cabinet. I do mot carry a motorcycle puller with meso I have practiced the string method in case I need it in the field.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

#11 ·
A good ole shoe string will work as well. Make sure you work the string up to the head of the coil and with steady even pressure gently pull the coil free to f the spark plug.

I do use the coil puller when working in the garage as it’s right in the tool cabinet. I do mot carry a motorcycle puller with meso I have practiced the string method in case I need it in the field.

View attachment 30643
I love it! I thought I was the only one who used paracord to do this (I am too cheap to buy one of those single job tools). 👍🏼👍🏼

#4 ·
#9 ·
When I checked my valves at 12000 miles, I just grabbed the stick coils by hand and twisted them gently back and forth while pulling and they both came out easily. Applied a tiny amount of grease before re-installation to make it easy for next time. Check out this guy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.