R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi;
I have a couple of issues I hope you can help with:
1 - Speed Limit Indicator: I took a ride this morning (Highway I've taken many times before, where the speed limit always was displayed) and the speed limit initially kept dropping in and out, and eventually it simply showed dashes. I enabled and disabled the feature from the setup menu, but it remained as dashes. My Android Phone was connected through Bluetooth (Not sure it needs the phone). Where is this information is received from? Is it part of the bike and through the Phone. Google map was displayed on the phone and on my return leg of the trip I enabled the BMW Motorrad App, no difference.
2- Cruise Control: I noticed after engaging the cruise control, and push the switch up or down to increase the speed, it sometimes increments in 1 mph, other times in 2 mph. I thought it might be based on current speed, but it is not. Any ideas?

By the way, it is a 2022 1250GS.

Thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
1 - The speed limit indicator on the TFT comes from the BMW Connected app. The speed limit indicator on your Nav comes from the onboard Garmin maps. Not sure which one you're having difficulty with. Make sure the Connected App is actually running.
2 - The cruise control increments are in km/h. So you get rounding artifacts with a mph display. You are fine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was referring to the TFT display (I do not have a Gramin system). It used to work without having the BMW Connected app running. Actually, when the trip started it worked correctly, not sure why it stopped. Also, I thought it might be linked to the Connected App, so as stated above I started the App on the return trip, but still no indication.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was referring to the TFT display (I do not have a Gramin system). It used to work without having the BMW Connected app running. Actually, when the trip started it worked correctly, not sure why it stopped. Also, I thought it might be linked to the Connected App, so as stated above I started the App on the return trip, but still no indication.
Maybe a Bluetooth hiccup? Try unpairing the phone in the TFT, and then TFT in the phone. Then re-pair them to each other fresh.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My understanding is that the speed limit on the TFT is linked to the BMW Mottorrad App. I do know that when the connection drops / freezes, the speed limit shown is the last speed limit so if I'm on the highway and then enter a city then the speed limit shown will remain at the limit for the highway. In other words, can't trust it. I rely more on my Garmin Zumo for speed limits but even it can be out and on smaller roads there often isn't a speed limit shown on either device.

My understanding is that the "speed up" and "speed down" function on cruise is linked to mph. I'm in Canada and so in kph. When I increase or decrease the speed it sometimes goes up/down 1 kph, sometimes 2 kph.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of your inputs. I will try the unpairing/pairing exercise. I will live with the "speed up" and "speed down" as the speedometer any way is off by a few % relative to the GPS.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yup, my speedometer is off as well. At highway speeds the speedometer reads 4kph higher than actual (based upon actual on my GPS).
That's on purpose. It is illegal for the manufacturer to ship a vehicle with a speedometer that reads too low, so they are all set to read high. Also allows for variation in tire design/manufacture.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Please see page 93 of the rider's manual. All your questions will be answered.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the App running, per the rider's manual. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to ride again tomorrow and see if things start working again.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had the App running, per the rider's manual. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to ride again tomorrow and see if things start working again.
Just as an FYI, I had a similar issue as you have where the speed limit was not displayed on the TFT. I found out that after having installing a new Quad Lock wireless charger for my iPhone, I was experiencing issues with the electronic ignition (could not always start the bike), and loss of Bluetooth communication between my iPhone and the TFT. The cause of it had to do with the strong electromagnetic field generated by the charger messing up with nearby electronics.
I returned the wireless charger to Quad Lock for a full refund.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just as an FYI, I had a similar issue as you have where the speed limit was not displayed on the TFT. I found out that after having installing a new Quad Lock wireless charger for my iPhone, I was experiencing issues with the electronic ignition (could not always start the bike), and loss of Bluetooth communication between my iPhone and the TFT. The cause of it had to do with the strong electromagnetic field generated by the charger messing up with nearby electronics.
I returned the wireless charger to Quad Lock for a full refund.
Interesting, would not think a wireless charger would have that strong an EMF.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Check this link
Even after a career in the Navy as an AT, computer nerd in the days of punch cards and paper tape, and Ham operator for even longer, I never gave much (none actually) thought to the non-contact chargers. It truly is amazing some of the thing we learn on this board.
Cheers, mate.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use the phone cradle to plug and charge3 the phone. I just came back from a 300 miles ride and the speed limit indicator intermittently worked. Some time it showed the correct speed limit, sometimes dashes, and other times it showed a speed limit, but when transitioning to a different speed limit, it remained at the previous one. I looked at the cellular signal bars and they seem to be strong the whole time. At the beginning of the trip the App was displayed full time, later on the phone screen locked so not sure it that has anything to do with it. Will keep playing with it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I use the phone cradle to plug and charge3 the phone. I just came back from a 300 miles ride and the speed limit indicator intermittently worked. Some time it showed the correct speed limit, sometimes dashes, and other times it showed a speed limit, but when transitioning to a different speed limit, it remained at the previous one. I looked at the cellular signal bars and they seem to be strong the whole time. At the beginning of the trip the App was displayed full time, later on the phone screen locked so not sure it that has anything to do with it. Will keep playing with it.
I would think the TFT speed limit values are issued from the phone internal GPS when using the Motorrad Connect App as long as you have downloaded the regional maps into the Connect App. It works the same way as a stand-alone GPS like the Zumo, and no cellular signal is needed.
Keep in mind that in the GPS road database some roads may not have associated speed limits.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I downloaded the latest regional maps. I took this trip on multiple occasions (good part of it is on a Highway) and previously I did not have issues.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I downloaded the latest regional maps. I took this trip on multiple occasions (good part of it is on a Highway) and previously I did not have issues.
Be sure you have set "Allow Location Access" to "ALWAYS" and selected "Precise Location" in your phone settings for the Motorrad Connect App. Screenshot below is from my iPhone.

If the speed display is still intermittent, I would suspect that you have Bluetooth issues. You may want to redo the Pairing between your phone and the TFT. Before doing so Go to Settings on your phone, Bluetooth, look at the list of My Devices connected/or not connected to BT, look for ICC6.5in, after the words "Not Connected" you see a blue circle with the letter "i", press it. Look for "Forget This Device" and confirm it. These directions are for an iPhone, but I'm sure they should be similar with an Android phone.
On the TFT, go to Settings and Select Connections and then select Delete Connections. Delete only your Mobile Device Connection. Now Pair your phone and TFT together. Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I already had the "Allow Location Access" to "ALWAYS" and selected "Precise Location" . I will try the re-pairing of the phone and report back.

Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts