R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I’d post some Pics of my 2016 GSA splines. A couple of things i found out that weren’t mentioned in the videos. First, the moly assembly paste will separate and you have to work the tube to mix the oil back into the paste. Second, when putting the final drive back into place, use some blocks to help support it so you don’t have to keep hanging on to it the whole time. Third, when trying to get the drive unit back in place, put the bike in Neutral so you can move the drive shaft to help get it connected to the splines. Fourth and fifth, use a oil pan under the assembly after you remove the speed sensor as your oil will leak out the hole and you might as well change the oil. 100nm is a lot of torque on the swing arm bolt. Use a 1/2 torque wrench if you have one. The first 2 are from factory, the last 2 is after I greased them. No Rust, the drive shaft was still nice and black.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
The now unobtanium Honda Moly Paste 60 did not separate. I have enough to do maybe one or two more full drive lines then when its exhausted I'll splurge for 3 life times (14oz tube) supply of Wurth SIG-300 Spline lube.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I used. It was stored in my shed and with these hot days it probably exceeded 100degrees.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Here's the Wurth specs: Cannot imagine 100 degrees would be the cause. If it Honda Moly Paste 60 the tube in my garage has been in temps exceeding 100 and no separation.

The product contains extreme pressure additives to provide long life under heavy loads, up to 65,000 PSI - 65 Timken load. This grease will withstand temperatures up to 550F. It has superior water resistance and resists most acids, salt spray, steam, dirt, dust and weather. We have also blended extra rust, corrosion and oxidation inhibitors into this product. You now have a grease that not only resists high temperatures and heavy loads, but also provides extra protection of equipment with its superior anti-spatter capabilities. A true long lasting product that can replace many commercially available greases.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ll check the tube tomorrow to make sure.

·
Super Moderator
459 Posts
I've wondered of you really need moly based grease if you lube the splines often enough given it is enclosed in the swingarm. Seems any decent grease could do the trick?

I know fling off is a concern with some grease types but inside the splines would seem not a concern?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice job. Good tips to read about at this time, as I will be doing this procedure for the first time in the next month or so on my bike.

Got the Enduralast spline lube from Beemerboneyard. Heard it works well.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the rubber boot might have a small crack/tear at the very bottom in the second pic? Again, my eyes might deceive me.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've wondered of you really need moly based grease if you lube the splines often enough given it is enclosed in the swingarm. Seems any decent grease could do the trick?

I know fling off is a concern with some grease types but inside the splines would seem not a concern?
That's the problem regular grease. It heats and oozes and gets squeezed out from between the splines then flung free. Moly paste sticks like dog shit in Vibram boot soles and has a much higher melting point

Anything is better than nothing and even EP grease or anti seize if applied regularly will work but not as well as a lubricant/protectant designed specifically for splines.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice job. Good tips to read about at this time, as I will be doing this procedure for the first time in the next month or so on my bike.

Got the Enduralast spline lube from Beemerboneyard. Heard it works well.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the rubber boot might have a small crack/tear at the very bottom in the second pic? Again, my eyes might deceive me.
I think its the casting. The boot was on the other side. I’ll check tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good tips. I bought a 2016 with 9000 miles on it. I tried to do this service at 13,000 miles. Couldn't get it to budge. I ended up taking it to the dealer who had to pull the drive shaft out before he could get it separated. Wish I would have addressed it before the warranty had expired!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts