R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing maintenance on final drive going to grease splines but they appear to be frozen. Looking for some advice

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Rotate drive shaft so the U-joint yoke is horizontal, i.e. it pivots up and down. Disconnect the boot at the FD. Unfasten the paralever arm from the FD and gently let the FD fall. The weight of the FD should pull the pinion from the end of the U-joint. The up/down alignment keeps the U-joint from binding.

Picture taken with the boot removed to show drive shaft position.

·
Registered
342 Posts
As marc said. Also, if you're removing the front spline, it has a circlip. Pull the front boot back and, protecting the housing with something soft, use a flat screwdriver to lever the shaft back.

Reactions: PoppyGreg

·
Registered
125 Posts
Same problem, frozen u-joint splines. bike 20 months old, 12k miles

I did my first 12000 mile "owner service" today (and yesterday. Amazing how long it takes the first time. haha!) and found my final drive u-joint splines rusted into place, too, and could not free them. I sprayed the locked up u-joint with penetrating oil (LPS2 & some Kroil,) gave it some gentle knocks with a hammer, but still could not free it up. So, I put it back together and rode to the local BMW dealer--thinking driving after applying penetrating oil might help free it up-- and asked the dealer to fix it under warranty (bike has 12 months since "new, as it was a demonstrator when I bought it.) They said they could not "lube" it under warranty, since lubing the splines is not one of the routine BMW scheduled items, but the labor to "free it up" would be under warranty, and then charge me for the spline lube (since that was not typically done.) So, they did that while I waited, about an hour (surprisingly--I wasn't expecting such rapid accommodation.) They also checked the codes and reset the service light. (I was going to buy a GS911, but I guess that can wait till the next 6000 miles.)

Bottomline: Those with GSs should inspect their final drive splines and lube them, and do not rely on the bike being nearly "new," OR normal dealer service to catch this. I could not discern ANY grease on mine, and I believe it is a common problem to find them dry.

[It is interesting to speculate on the consequences of driving for a long period with a frozen u-joint/spline--not sure where else a variable difference in length with strut extension is accommodated. Might be able to do it a long time with it frozen, especially if not ridden off road much. Who knows? But I didn't like it.]

By the way, I've got 4000 miles on my Mitas E-07 tires now, looks like I'll get another 3000 out of them.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Did the dealer give you any indication as to how they freed up the u-joint/spline?
Had one a few months back and tried everything short of damaging the units to separate the driveshaft from the final drive with no luck.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Big hammer

Did the dealer give you any indication as to how they freed up the u-joint/spline?
Had one a few months back and tried everything short of damaging the units to separate the driveshaft from the final drive with no luck.
I asked him if he used a "big hammer". He said they had to knock it a bit. However, my spraying it with penetrating oil and then driving it 30 miles to dealer might have loosened it and made it an easier job than I started out with. Never know. I certainly couldn't get it to budge. He charged me $65 for that, +$30 to check codes and reset the service annunciator light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I let it set a day with lube and the a little nudge and it came apart.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I did my first 12000 mile "owner service" today (and yesterday. Amazing how long it takes the first time. haha!) and found my final drive u-joint splines rusted into place, too, and could not free them. I sprayed the locked up u-joint with penetrating oil (LPS2 & some Kroil,) gave it some gentle knocks with a hammer, but still could not free it up. So, I put it back together and rode to the local BMW dealer--thinking driving after applying penetrating oil might help free it up-- and asked the dealer to fix it under warranty (bike has 12 months since "new, as it was a demonstrator when I bought it.) They said they could not "lube" it under warranty, since lubing the splines is not one of the routine BMW scheduled items, but the labor to "free it up" would be under warranty, and then charge me for the spline lube (since that was not typically done.) So, they did that while I waited, about an hour (surprisingly--I wasn't expecting such rapid accommodation.) They also checked the codes and reset the service light. (I was going to buy a GS911, but I guess that can wait till the next 6000 miles.)

Bottomline: Those with GSs should inspect their final drive splines and lube them, and do not rely on the bike being nearly "new," OR normal dealer service to catch this. I could not discern ANY grease on mine, and I believe it is a common problem to find them dry.

[It is interesting to speculate on the consequences of driving for a long period with a frozen u-joint/spline--not sure where else a variable difference in length with strut extension is accommodated. Might be able to do it a long time with it frozen, especially if not ridden off road much. Who knows? But I didn't like it.]

By the way, I've got 4000 miles on my Mitas E-07 tires now, looks like I'll get another 3000 out of them.
My 17 with 12400 miles had almost dry splines. Pulled the shaft lubed both ends. Nice project!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts