R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I've just purchased my first r1200
It's a 2009 ....
I now know what all the fuss is about...?
I love it!
Only thing I dont like are the alloy wheels
Wondering what year wheels will fit my bike ....
Been told 2004-2010
Any info greatly appreciated tia

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Martin, welcome to the forum, as far as I know, spoked wheels are more off road oriented. You decide, where will use your bike. More OFF or ON road or both. Otherwise, alloy wheels do not require periodically check for tightening of every one spoke.
Enjoy with bike.:grin2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum, as far as I know, spoked wheels are more off road oriented. You decide, where will use your bike. More OFF or ON road or both. Otherwise, alloy wheels do not require periodically check for tightening of every one spoke.
Enjoy with bike.:grin2:
Nils, why are spoke wheels for off-raid and alloys for on-road?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Where are you located?

I have just bought a 2005 with spoked wheels. Excellent condition, and rear hub replacement done. I only ride on the road. I suppose we could swap wheels. Where are you located?

·
Reprobate
137 Posts
I've ridden GS/GSAs since 2007 and while I periodically check my spokes (five minute job to tap them listening for any out of tune) I have yet to have a single one that required adjustment. Spoked wheels work equally well on the road but are a pain to clean completely, especially around the nipples where corrosion tends to start. Their advantage off road is that they flex a bit on impact with rocks. Cast wheels have no flex so are more prone to bent rims, especially if you air down for off road use. On the other hand if you don't do much off roading they are SO much easier to clean!

Pete

·
Registered
266 Posts
The wheels from 2005 thru at least 2012 will swap out. The front ABS rings are different 05/06 then 2007+

If you sell the cast wheels I've been casually look for a extra front wheel. Let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts