R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a way to play Spotify through the Navigator V? I can pair the Nav to my smartphone but it works only as a phone, not as a media player. Please has anyone found a way to get the paired phone to also work as a media player to play spotify playlists? Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
That feature is not available on the Nav V. It is available on the Nav VI and the TFT dash (2018 and later). The Nav V's media player will only play mp3 files from the microSD card.

An option is to pair your phone to your headset and play from whatever app you choose. To avoid conflicts with the Nav V disable the phone link. You can then get navigation prompts as well as listen to music.

If your headset is a Sena, pair the phone as a "phone" and the Nav V as a "2nd phone" or "gps". You will have to initiate and answer phone calls with the headset buttons.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks Roger. Maybe a reason to upgrade to Nav 6... Do you know whether it will fit into the same craddle? and what else it will do better than the Nav 5? Thanks for your patience with an ignoramus...

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The NAV VI fits the same cradle as the V, it has a nicer screen that is easier to see in sunlight and the ability to pass audio through from your phone and those are about the only benefits.
Garmin claims a faster processor but I can't tell any difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i just purchased a 2014 R1200GS with a Garmin Nav V as part of the kit. Sounds like the upgrades to a Nav VI might not be worth the $900+ price. (?)

If I were to load music on a microSD card, does playing music and using the nav work together? BTW, this is paired with my Cardo.

And to further muddy the waters, I assume my iPhone, paired through my Cardo, will still work independently with the above?

Fingers crossed for a big YES. :wink2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
"And to further muddy the waters, I assume my iPhone, paired through my Cardo, will still work independently with the above?

Fingers crossed for a big YES."

If you pair your iphone and the Nav V (or VI) to the headset, you'll likely have errors with phone calls. The phone works through the Nav to receive and send phone calls and it all gets confused if the headset and the Nav are competing. I only have experience with Sena headsets, not Cardo so your results may vary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I started the thread, I can confirm that I did upgrade to the Navigator 6 and I am rather pleased with the result. I can now listen to and control my Spotify playlists directly from the Navigator 6. I can elect to use my phone as a music player and turn off the actual phone (I don't want to be called when I am riding). I think the screen is marginally better but the speed of catching satellites is massively improved. I am using this with BMW headphones...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since I started the thread, I can confirm that I did upgrade to the Navigator 6 and I am rather pleased with the result. I can now listen to and control my Spotify playlists directly from the Navigator 6. I can elect to use my phone as a music player and turn off the actual phone (I don't want to be called when I am riding). I think the screen is marginally better but the speed of catching satellites is massively improved. I am using this with BMW headphones...

Hi
Can you explain how you did it ? ( control spotify playlists from navigator VI ? )
I use iphone X, and i not see my spotify playlists on navigator ( can play only the playlist i started from phone)

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts

I too would like to know how you access your Spotify account though the Nav 6. I can only access my very limited iTunes library.
TIA

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the Cardo Packtalk Bold JBL and iPhone 11. I have iPhone paired as mobile phone one and BMW Navigator V paired as GPS, per Cardo customer service rep recommendation. The NAV V plays MP3's through the Cardo system but needs resetting often and is very resistant to pause -> resume commands. It results in failure and need for reboot of the Cardo unit. Very unsatisfactory readability, but if you are willing to fool with it, you can have your music, GPS instructions, and phone functionality some of the time. The DMC intercom function on the Cardo's was what I was after and that really delivers. Otherwise, the Sena 20s system I had before was more reliable on the music/gps/mobile phone side. How is the Nav VI on playing MP3's/GPS/phone on Cardo Packtalk Bold JBL?

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
131 Posts
I pair my S10 to my Cardo PT Bold as Phone and as Music
I pair my Nav V as GPS

I listen to my Pandora Music from the phone, controlled by voice over the PT Bold.
Every once in a while I'll have a music pause.
Usually, it clears by itself after a few minutes. If it doesn't I just turn the PT off and back on and the music resumes.

Gps directions are seamless and override all other Music/Phone/Intercom the way I have it set up.

Unless the sun is directly behind me I have no trouble with the Nav5 screen.

Not worth the cost to update to the Nav6 to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts