R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all,

Having a starting issue with my 07 1200 GSA. The problem is only when the bike is at operating temp or just starting to warm up. When I switched the bike off, I have to wait for the bike to cool down for a few hours and then only I can start it again. The starter goes on but does not engage the flywheel. After struggling a bit sometimes, it will engage the flywheel but immediately disengage but keeps on spinning. Is my starter on its way out?

When the bike stands for a few hours or overnight it starts back up just fine. This is extremely irritating because when I leave home and stop for petrol, I really struggle to get her going again.

Thanks

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
751 Posts
Start by measuring the battery voltage during cranking, 3 components are suspect:
  • The battery
  • The cables
  • The starter

If the battery voltage does not drop below 10v during cranking, measure it again right at the starter terminal (or measure the voltage drop between the positive terminal and the starter terminal while cranking).

If the voltage drop in the cable is less than 1v.... the starter might need replacement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start by measuring the battery voltage during cranking, 3 components are suspect:
  • The battery
  • The cables
  • The starter

If the battery voltage does not drop below 10v during cranking, measure it again right at the starter terminal (or measure the voltage drop between the positive terminal and the starter terminal while cranking).

If the voltage drop in the cable is less than 1v.... the starter might need replacement.
Thanks for the reply. Few things I did not mention is. I just replaced the battery to a higher amh battery, was planning on getting a higher amh battery and when this issue started I thought now is the time. I can start the bike now, cold start en let it idle for 5min, switch it off and when I restart it the starter just swings, when I let the bike sit for a hour after it ran for 5min it will start up normally. When it's doing the issues I've added a jump box to see of it's a cranking voltage drop causing it but it still did it. Not sure of this info narrows it out a little.

I'll do the voltage drop test tomorrow after work and will post the results

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
1,903 Posts
Sounds like the starter or starter solenoid is going tits up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts