R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

Can anyone help? I have an intermittent starting problem. Sometimes the bike goes through its checks when ignition is switched on, then when starter is pressed nothing happens. It makes no difference if the side stand is up or down. The bike is in neutral and the gear indicator works fine. It can take me ten minutes to start, switching on and off to try again. Any ideas?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Hi

Can anyone help? I have an intermittent starting problem. Sometimes the bike goes through its checks when ignition is switched on, then when starter is pressed nothing happens. It makes no difference if the side stand is up or down. The bike is in neutral and the gear indicator works fine. It can take me ten minutes to start, switching on and off to try again. Any ideas?

Cheers
I had a similar experience with my '09. It turned out the wiring harness near the ignition switch was attached to the frame too tightly and a wire (wires?) were pinched. I could turn my bars one way and it wouldn't start.

Mike

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Other possible causes are a loose connection to the battery or starter or a battery that is failing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Similar experience

Hi, I ride a 2004 R1200GS.
I had a similar experience the other day, turned the key, start up procedure with flashing lights on the dash went fine, when I pressed the starter button the dash screen totally died and nothing happened. I turned the ignition off and then back on, this time the bike started as usual... I hope it doesn't return.

I'm sorry I can't help you out here, but at least you someone else is experiencing kind of the same thing.

I'll check out the things that marc and mike mentions though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Fuel Pump Recall? I had mine replaced under a recall, and seems my intermittent starting problems have been solved....SO FAR....'
Check to see if your bike is one of those which are involved in the recall. Maybe, just maybe that's your problem. Sorry you have the problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Think I fixed mine

Other possible causes are a loose connection to the battery or starter or a battery that is failing.
I experienced the same thing today, but it would never react after the first try, all electricity was gone.. I checked the wiring för the extra lights (which are not very well done by previous owner, according to himself and me) then I remembered your words marc and checked the battery, and sure as hell, the bolts for both poles were coming loose so contact had been lost to the connected wires. Started up just fine after that. :)

Does anyone use thread glue for their pole bolts? Seems like they could come of again after some time and off road vibrations.

Duff: How are you coming along with your issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I experienced the same thing today, but it would never react after the first try, all electricity was gone.. I checked the wiring för the extra lights (which are not very well done by previous owner, according to himself and me) then I remembered your words marc and checked the battery, and sure as hell, the bolts for both poles were coming loose so contact had been lost to the connected wires. Started up just fine after that. :)

Does anyone use thread glue for their pole bolts? Seems like they could come of again after some time and off road vibrations.

Duff: How are you coming along with your issue?
Hi

I have cleaned all the connections that I can find starting with the inside of the handle bar switch. It has started every time so far. Thanks for all your help

·
Rider
31 Posts
I had this happen tricentennial my 2 month old GSW.

Ignition on, check-cycle complete, nothing happens with starter button.

Both times I switched off the ignition, switched it back on, ran the checks, and it worked normally. It doesn't feel like a loose connection or short. The screen didn't fade or flicker., just nothing from the switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dreaded EWS

I have an 05 R12GS that has had an issue with the EWS for awhile. I bought a replacement antenna ring but then realized that it would start fine when I turned the bars all the way to the left before turning on the key and attempting to start the bike. Broken wire, right? Well I disassembled the whole front of the bike and thought that I would attempt to find a broken or pinched wire and as long as I had the new, updated antenna ring, I would change that as well. Now I wish I had just left it alone and kept turning it to the left. It was a PIA to get out the security screws that hold in the ignition switch. I ended up pulling the upper triple clamp but finally got them out and changed the ring. I cut back the loom to expose the wires but was unable to find a break or a pinched area and now the bike wont start no matter what direction I turn the bars. I just get the EWS message. Is there something that I need to do to sync the new antenna ring with my system or am I going to have to dig deeper into the wire loom? Sumbich!! Wish I had left well enough alone but I was worried that eventually it would leave me stranded. Love the GS but never had a single issue with my V-Strom and am starting to feel a little sketchy about the GS. Can anyone offer any advice? Is there a process to sync the new antenna ring?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar problem, switch the ignition key on and the dash lights up for a few seconds and then dies.
SOLUTION: Its the sensor on the side stand.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
455 Posts
I have changed the ring antenna on my 2009 GS, no need to program anything, it just worked.
Your issue looks like a wiring problem. One thing you can do is to plug your old antenna ring on the wire harness, place your second key in it and move the wiring to locate the problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I sold a 2012 GSA to a work colleague and it developed exactly this problem. It turned out to be nothing to do with the ring antenna, side stand switch, neutral switch or clutch switch as a lot of people suggest. It was the starter motor.
He took it off the bike, cleaned it up and greased the throw in mechanism which was sticking periodically.
I didn't assist but he said it was a similar set up to a pre engaged starter on a car whereby a solenoid operates a lever which engages the starter motor gear with the flywheel and once it becomes meshed then power is applied to the starter which then turns the engine.

It was the shaft seen in the picture that needed to be cleaned and re greased.
Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 11.50.05 am.png

1 - 13 of 13 Posts