R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm from Europe (Portugal), waiting for delivery of R1250GS, scheduled for the end of January.
This thread left me a bit worried and I called a friend of mine who took delivery of his R1250GS last November and asked about front calipers and he said his bike was delivered with Brembo front calipers in black and he thinks his bike may not be 2021 model as the headlight doesn't have the "X" inside as a part of the DLR (only standard "C" strip).
So I see there is a difference between Europe and the rest of the world.
When I placed the order for my new bike in the end of last October, all of the R1250GS bikes on the dealer's showroom floor had "BMW" (Hayes) front calipers fitted and few of them were models with "X" inside the headlight, others not.
So, I'm completely confused now. Maybe standard 2021 GS without extras (swiveling headlight) doesn't come with the "X" inside the headlight, I don't know.
I guess I'll know the answer only when I take delivery of the bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Getting truthful answers is the problem.
I went in to buy a new 2020GSA that was on the floor and asked about the brake issue. He said he hadn’t heard about it.
I then pointed to the puddle of brake fluid under the RT and on the rim and he shrugged his shoulders.
Is this a 2021 problem only?
My 1250GSA is an August 2020 bike.
No leaks so far, would it be included in the Brembo swap? It would be nice!

·
Registered
102 Posts
The recall notice I got dated October 2020 states it impacts "certain model year 2019-2020 BMW R1250 and Model year 2020 BMW S1000RR/XR motorcycle models". The notice also states "Remedy is unavailable".

I don't have a leaker.

Maybe now the "remedy" is to replace the BMW branded calipers with Brembo??

·
Super Awesom Person
631 Posts
Getting truthful answers is the problem.
I went in to buy a new 2020GSA that was on the floor and asked about the brake issue. He said he hadn’t heard about it.
I then pointed to the puddle of brake fluid under the RT and on the rim and he shrugged his shoulders.
Is this a 2021 problem only?
My 1250GSA is an August 2020 bike.
No leaks so far, would it be included in the Brembo swap? It would be nice!
I would run from that guy. Some people just don't care. To answer your question, every bike with Hayes calipers will get them replaced regardless of year.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 2020 GSA has Hayes brakes. They've been fine, no drips, for 16,000 miles/13 months. I actually like the feel better than the Brembos on my previous 2016 GSA. If BMW is going to replace them when I go in for service this spring (the 18K service will include the one-year-after-delivery brake fluid flush/fill) that's OK by me but if it doesn't I'm not going to be upset.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought a new 2020 R1250GS in March (had Hayes front brake calipers). It sat in my garage for about a week without riding it. Then I saw the brake fluid on the lift with spatters on the wheel (left side). Dealer took care of the calipers (replaced seals, I think) and a new front wheel. BMW has known about this problem for two years; would’ve been less expensive for them if they had addressed this at the factory. Since not all 1250’s had the leaks, I guess they waited to see which bikes needed a fix by using their customers as guinea pigs. IMHO, this is an example of bean counter thinking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also just bought or have a written deal at least, on a Triple Black 2021 R1250GS Adv.
I was told it would be Early February before I would get to take her home with me because of the stop sale.
I already have my VIN # just hope they really do get the new brakes by then.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I wonder if there only replacing the ones they find to be leaking ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also just bought or have a written deal at least, on a Triple Black 2021 R1250GS Adv.
I was told it would be Early February before I would get to take her home with me because of the stop sale.
I already have my VIN # just hope they really do get the new brakes by then.
Who did you purchase your bike from ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have already got a ton of stuff on the way as well, I bought some frame protectors, front fender extender, rear tire mudguard, Headlight protector, left panier side tool box, Tank Protector Pads, Dual USB plug, Din relocation bracket for the din removed that was replaced with USB plug, some frame plugs to fill the holes, and lastly the danali can bus with the soundbomb horn.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have already got a ton of stuff on the way as well, I bought some frame protectors, front fender extender, rear tire mudguard, Headlight protector, left panier side tool box, Tank Protector Pads, Dual USB plug, Din relocation bracket for the din removed that was replaced with USB plug, some frame plugs to fill the holes, and lastly the danali can bus with the soundbomb horn.
You know the dealer was going to throw all that stuff in along with a set of Bumot Panniers for the extended wait, right ?

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts
Any updates on the Stop Sale? Anyone? I want my new 1250GSA so bad.....
Me too. Delivery scheduled for the end of January... Not so sure anymore...
Too late to cancel and get a new Africa Twin or VStrom 1050? Sorry, could not resist... ;)

I work for a manufacturer where we do recalls from time to time. Getting parts from suppliers can be a real challenge and with Covid it has been unpredictable when a plant can get hit and really hammer production. Getting Brembo to build several years worth of parts during Covid has to have them full tilt.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Are brakes going to be changed world over or is it a USA only thing? Indian dealers are selling bikes like hot cakes

1 - 20 of 51 Posts