R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are brakes going to be changed world over or is it a USA only thing? Indian dealers are selling bikes like hot cakes
Pretty sure this is a USA only issue, I have been following several People on Youtube, and every other country is still selling the bikes as they are.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Too late to cancel and get a new Africa Twin or VStrom 1050?
Thanks for that but I've just sold my VStrom 1000 2018 and 1050 is something ridiculous from my point of view. Africa Twin is also something I couldn't care less about.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pretty sure this is a USA only issue, I have been following several People on Youtube, and every other country is still selling the bikes as they are.
I've seen one YouTube video of R1250GS being taken out of the crate in Bulgaria two months ago and it had Brembo calipers at the front.

·
Registered
1 Posts
From BMW:

“We are expecting a large shipment mid-January, so it all depends on physical distributions, inventory, and when dealers can fix them, but yes parts will be available mid-January and we are getting constant updates and they are being posted to dealer direct. They are making the calipers as fast as they can and shipped to dealers as they come in, customer bikes first, sold units, dealer inventory, then units at the VPC or in BMW stock in that order, by law. “

If they are being used everywhere else in the world sans the US, it must be a very small production facility and scaling not an option. Quality control might also be a factor.

I would have loved to have been the Brembo sales rep taking that call from BMW. “Hi, Brembo? Remember when we told you to pound sand because we found a cheaper supplier? About that....”

:p

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts
Thanks for that but I've just sold my VStrom 1000 2018 and 1050 is something ridiculous from my point of view. Africa Twin is also something I couldn't care less about.
A bit off topic...but you think the 1050 VStrom is just too heavy (the ridiculous comment)? I've always seen it and the Super Tenere as Adventure Tourers that you don't want in much beyond a groomed gravel road.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, new 1050 and 1000 VStrom I've owned are not offroad bikes. Just as you said, gravel road and that's it. That is because we are not professional offroad pilots. I believe that professional pilots can take that bike wherever they want but not us, amateurs.
I'm not trying to degenerate VStrom. It's great bike. If you put road tyres on it you have great tourer and commuter. But it's top-heavy bike and you need to be very concentrated and know what you're doing (I'm talking about slow speed and manouvering). I owned 2012-2014 VStrom 650, dropped it once stationary, 2014-2018 VStrom 1000, dropped it twice, once stationary and once after hard braking in corner to avoid accident (dropped it when already stopped), 2018-2020 VStrom 1000, never dropped. New VStrom 1050 looks like a bad joke to me with that "retro" look, cheap plastics, TFT from 90's, square headlight, completely removed weather protection etc etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, new 1050 and 1000 VStrom I've owned are not offroad bikes. Just as you said, gravel road and that's it. That is because we are not professional offroad pilots. I believe that professional pilots can take that bike wherever they want but not us, amateurs.
I'm not trying to degenerate VStrom. It's great bike. If you put road tyres on it you have great tourer and commuter. But it's top-heavy bike and you need to be very concentrated and know what you're doing (I'm talking about slow speed and manouvering). I owned 2012-2014 VStrom 650, dropped it once stationary, 2014-2018 VStrom 1000, dropped it twice, once stationary and once after hard braking in corner to avoid accident (dropped it when already stopped), 2018-2020 VStrom 1000, never dropped. New VStrom 1050 looks like a bad joke to me with that "retro" look, cheap plastics, TFT from 90's, square headlight, completely removed weather protection etc etc.
LOL what does any of this happen to do with the Stop Sale/Recall ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nothing. It's just me answering the question other member asked. Does it bother you that much?
No, its just I get excited for stop sale info, and it is disappointing when I get a notification about a new post, but no new info is all. By all means carry on ...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have already got a ton of stuff on the way as well, I bought some frame protectors, front fender extender, rear tire mudguard, Headlight protector, left panier side tool box, Tank Protector Pads, Dual USB plug, Din relocation bracket for the din removed that was replaced with USB plug, some frame plugs to fill the holes, and lastly the danali can bus with the soundbomb horn.
Did you decide on what panniers your planning on putting on your new bike ? Also I believe the 2021 comes with a USB port as standard equipment, why the additional ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you decide on what panniers your planning on putting on you new bike ?
I got a full set of the BMW branded Hard cases on ebay for $1100, Had Locks with no keys, but I made sure the cases are unlocked, I have watched a ton of videos on how to remove the old barrels so I can put in new ones keyed to my key.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Oh, interesting, that they will go back to Brembo's! I guess they made a mistake trying out the BMW/Hayes..................

·
Registered
905 Posts
I got a full set of the BMW branded Hard cases on ebay for $1100, Had Locks with no keys, but I made sure the cases are unlocked, I have watched a ton of videos on how to remove the old barrels so I can put in new ones keyed to my key.
@Coppertop
You can rekey the same cylinders....my friend just did them for me. No need to buy new locks

21 - 40 of 51 Posts