R1200GS Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm confused! I noticed that the 2021 GS comes with the BMW branded front calipers. So are you guys saying that even the 2021 GS bile's will have the front calipers replaced with Brembo, in addition to 2019 and 2020 models?????

·
Registered
42 Posts
As far as I understood, yes. I'm waiting for my new 1250 to be delivered at the end of this month and as I understood, if it comes with Hayes calipers, it will be a subject of the recall later on.
If the delivery of my new bike gets late, it's sign it's waiting for Brembo calipers to become available.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As far as I understood, yes. I'm waiting for my new 1250 to be delivered at the end of this month and as I understood, if it comes with Hayes calipers, it will be a subject of the recall later on.
If the delivery of my new bike gets late, it's sign it's waiting for Brembo calipers to become available.
Same, From what I have been told. my bike is sitting in a BMW warehouse right now in New Jersey. And will remain there until the calipers are swapped out, while already in NJ. once changed then it will be shipped to my dealer where I can go pick her up...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I looked up my VIN on the NTSA website and came up with this:

I don't have a leaker but as I understand I will get the Brembo calipers when BMW has them in stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I looked up my VIN on the NTSA website and came up with this:

I don't have a leaker but as I understand I will get the Brembo calipers when BMW has them in stock.
Interesting that in that document it says "the brakes will be inspected and IF NECESSARY will be replaced" Not they will be replaced.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Interesting that in that document it says "the brakes will be inspected and IF NECESSARY will be replaced" Not they will be replaced.
Exactly! That's why I have been confused because on this thread, guys have been saying that no matter what, all calipers will be replaced for all bikes from 2019-2021. When I brought my GS in for a recent service, they checked the calipers to confirm they were not leaking. Beyond that, the Dealer said nothing about replacing them at some point with Brembo's, whether mine were leaking or not.
According to NTSA, my bike is considered "unrepaired" so maybe it is just a matter of waiting for the Brembo calipers to come into to BMW and THEN they will replace them. I think I need to call my Dealer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just got a call from my dealer. My bike will be delivered to me at 19th of January. When I asked about front calipers problem, they explained that bikes sold here in Portugal have calipers manufactured in Europe and no cases about leaking calipers have been reported yet by customers. In USA, BMW uses calipers produced on american continent and yes, BMW is recalling bikes in USA, Brasil and some other countries from american continent. I don't know if it's true or not. Will see.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Ahhhh that explains why here in India no one has had leaking calipers
Good info....Thanks

Just got a call from my dealer. My bike will be delivered to me at 19th of January. When I asked about front calipers problem, they explainded that bikes sold here in Portugal have calipers manufactured in Europe and no cases about leaking calipers have been reported yet by customers. In USA, BMW uses calipers produced on american continent and yes, BMW is recalling bikes in USA, Brasil and some other countries from american continent. I don't know if it's true or not. Will see.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just got a call from my dealer. My bike will be delivered to me at 19th of January. When I asked about front calipers problem, they explainded that bikes sold here in Portugal have calipers manufactured in Europe and no cases about leaking calipers have been reported yet by customers. In USA, BMW uses calipers produced on american continent and yes, BMW is recalling bikes in USA, Brasil and some other countries from american continent. I don't know if it's true or not. Will see.
This is true, Only the USA has a stop sale pending atm

·
Registered
102 Posts
So I called my Dealer Max BMW in CT today.

This is what they told me. The caliper recall is in its third phase. During phase 1, the Dealers were just to check for leaking caliper and if any were found, they were to be replaced by BMW not Brembo units. As the recall went on it entered a second phase, is which it was expanded to 2021 bikes. Now in the third phase, BMW has not offered up a permanent solution to date. BMW is expected to have a true solution announced by the end of this month.

The Dealer went on to say that replacement of BMW caliper with Brembo has not been offered up as a solution to date.

Stay tuned......................

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So I called my Dealer Max BMW in CT today.

This is what they told me. The caliper recall is in its third phase. During phase 1, the Dealers were just to check for leaking caliper and if any were found, they were to be replaced by BMW not Brembo units. As the recall went on it entered a second phase, is which it was expanded to 2021 bikes. Now in the third phase, BMW has not offered up a permanent solution to date. BMW is expected to have a true solution announced by the end of this month.

The Dealer went on to say that replacement of BMW caliper with Brembo has not been offered up as a solution to date.

Stay tuned......................
That kind of sucks for those who have been waiting for there new ride and those who have had the issue. BMW should face the fact that cheaper isn't always cheaper in the long run...put the Brembo's back on....

41 - 51 of 51 Posts